The Student Room Group

international student driving in the UK

I'm a bit confused if I can drive in the UK or if I need a provisional licence:
I am a student in the UK for 3 years, holding a non designated country driving licence (in English).
1. Can I drive in the UK with my non designated licence in a private car for 12 months, and during that time to take a driving test for a permanent licence?
2. OR - Do I need to first have a provisional licence? before I can drive in a private car.

I just don't understand why I need to have a provisional licence. I have been driving for over 5 years, I am 23 years old, and that will mean I can't drive on motorways..?
Reply 1
It all depends where you are from. As far as I understand it, if you've been living in the UK for more than 6 months, you're obligated to exchange your foreign license for a UK one (I don't understand what you mean by "non designated country driving license.") HOWEVER, if you are from an EU country, you are allowed to use your foreign license in the UK for the duration of your studies. You are also allowed to use your own vehicle in the UK while you are studying (by "your vehicle" I mean a car registered and insured under your name in your own country.) <- Again, this is only if you are from an EU country.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/non-gb-driving-licence/y/student_in_gb/eea_ec
Reply 2
Original post by hldarad
I'm a bit confused if I can drive in the UK or if I need a provisional licence:
I am a student in the UK for 3 years, holding a non designated country driving licence (in English).
1. Can I drive in the UK with my non designated licence in a private car for 12 months, and during that time to take a driving test for a permanent licence?
2. OR - Do I need to first have a provisional licence? before I can drive in a private car.

I just don't understand why I need to have a provisional licence. I have been driving for over 5 years, I am 23 years old, and that will mean I can't drive on motorways..?

It depends on the country your license is from....

As stated above, EU licenses are valid across the board..........and i'm guessing your from a country recognised to an extent, hence the issue of a 12 month license.

Check this to see if your license is eligible for the 12 month thing https://www.gov.uk/non-gb-driving-licence

"If you’ve got a non-European Union (EU) driving licence or international driving permit you can drive in Great Britain (GB) for 12 months.
If your driving licence is from a ‘designated country’ you can then apply to exchange it for a GB licence up to 5 years after becoming a GB resident.

If you don’t have a driving licence yet, or your licence is from a ‘non-designated country’, you’ll first need to apply for a provisional GB licence. You can then take a driving test and apply for a full licence once you’ve been in GB for at least 6 months.

The ‘designated countries’ are: Andorra, Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, Zimbabwe."

Other info, try this link https://www.gov.uk/exchange-a-foreign-driving-licence/y/yes/car_motorcycle/other
Reply 3
Thank you,

I'm from a non- EU country, and not from any of the listed countries that can convert their licence into a UK one.

I guess my questions is, when does the 12 month period start? as I have been flying back and forth for Christmas, Easter and summer vacations and back into the UK, thus being actually in the country for 3 months at a time.. So, does the 12 month period start from the minute I start being a student (ie, 3 years ago) and a resident as a university student? or does the 12 month period start each time I fly into the UK when I am back for the semester?
Reply 4
Original post by hldarad
Thank you,

I'm from a non- EU country, and not from any of the listed countries that can convert their licence into a UK one.

I guess my questions is, when does the 12 month period start? as I have been flying back and forth for Christmas, Easter and summer vacations and back into the UK, thus being actually in the country for 3 months at a time.. So, does the 12 month period start from the minute I start being a student (ie, 3 years ago) and a resident as a university student? or does the 12 month period start each time I fly into the UK when I am back for the semester?

As far as I'm aware, the moment you start driving I suppose, but I suggest calling up and making sure of all the details.
Also be well aware of UK driving laws and costs, because it is pricey.

Quick Reply

Latest