Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
so what was the conclusion to your hypotheses
KymmyC
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I found that exam really difficult! Jan 2006 was so much easier in comparison....i found myself slightly confused with the wordings of some of the questions and got really confused with the question about the girl and her parents coming to the football match!

I really need to work hard for C1 and C2 if there is any chance of me getting an A!
Aired
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I accepted the null hypothesis. You'd already worked out that 0 was the only value lying in the critical region for the previous part of the question. All you needed to do for the last part was work out P(less than or equal to 2) and show that it was < 5%.
henryt
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It was hard for an S1 - I think the boundaries will probably be quite low this year - perhaps 50 - 52.
I got the msd to be 3.04 - I'm assuming that msd is just (rmsd)^2 ?? I never learnt that - I think my teacher assumed we knew that!
Also, did you get a ridiculously small value for the probability at the end of the painting question: something like 0.00008.
Oh well - no good in thinking about it now!!
Aired
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Where did you have to work out msd?
henryt
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
1. iii) "Calculate the mean and the mean squared deviation of the data." [3]
Aired
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hah, I think I did standard deviation :rolleyes:
aaronc2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
is the mean square deviation sxx/n ? id never heard of it but since rmsd is route (sxx/n)...
henryt
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think it is (RMSd)^2; I flicked past it in the S1 book. I might be wrong, but it makes sense!
Aired
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, msd is just sxx/n
~Bex~
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeh, as aired said, it's Sxx/n. Henry's right as well though, because rmsd is root Sxx/n, (r stands for root) so rmsd^2 = msd. All it means is you're doing an extra step for nothing - square rooting your answer then squaring it again lol.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised that everyone's saying it was so difficult. I'm not too great at stats, and was very worried about it, but I don't think it was too bad. (I guess we'll know for sure come results day)
lemonadeX
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Didn't think it was too bad myself, although a couple of parts from the dishes Q was slightly misleading.

I got the mean to be 4.92 and the MSD to be 3.0336 - That right?

-Will
henryt
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That's what I got! So it must be right!! :p:
Aired
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For the part where you had to work out the average score for the overall mean to be 5 (might have been 6, I'm not sure), did you get 5 1/3 ?
Nitrox
Report 12 years ago
yeah i got that...........how did you prove that 0 was the only number in the critical region
lemonadeX
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
anmar: Just had to use the tables. p(X=0) was the only value below 0.05 (in the 5% critical region).

Aired: Which question do you mean?
Gaz Coombes
Report 12 years ago
Hope C2 isn't as hard as this was. I made loads of silly errors. Not the end of the world I guess.
Nitrox
Report 12 years ago
how did you use the tables when n = 30 and how did you prove that it was the only critical value
lemonadeX
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Don't think that was the same question. Didn't he do a test by taking 16 rocks or something, instead of the original 30?
Nitrox
Report 12 years ago
nope they said n = 30 p = 0.1
prove 0 is the only number in the critical region
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (219)
39.32%
No - but I will (38)
6.82%
No - I don't want to (37)
6.64%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (263)
47.22%

Watched Threads