MEI S1; anyone else find . . . Watch

Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ~Bex~)
I'm not entirely sure what that is lol, but the question was simple enough. It asked you to work out something along the lines of the probability of 2 out of 30, and the previous part had already required you to work out the probability of 0 and 1, so all you had to do was work out the probability for 2 and add them up.
Bex, wasn't a reply to your post above mine, was a question for the person I quoted, from a post in Page 1 of this thread.

And for your ref:

If a binomial variable is to be modelled by a Normal Distribution, then the Normal Variable must have the same mean and variance.

Mean of B(n,p) = np
Var of B(n,p) = npq (where q=1-p).

X~B(n,p) ===> X~N(np, npq)
sugardaddy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by moonscape)
Yeah, everyone found it really hard in my school too, though I thought it was relatively easy compared to the questions in the book.

This was what I did to get for the 3 paintings, god knows why I still remember these questions:

P(genuine given it was judged fake) = 1-0.64= 0.36
or you could have done 0.9*0.05 / 0.125=0.36

P(getting 3 genuine in the 2nd test given it was judged fake in the 1st test)
= (0.36*0.96) ^3
= 0.041

not sure whether this is the correct answer though
Ahh. I think I done the same, but not the ^3 which didn't seem so obvious at the time.
~Bex~
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Expression)
Bex, wasn't a reply to your post above mine, was a question for the person I quoted, from a post in Page 1 of this thread.

And for your ref:

If a binomial variable is to be modelled by a Normal Distribution, then the Normal Variable must have the same mean and variance.

Mean of B(n,p) = np
Var of B(n,p) = npq (where q=1-p).

X~B(n,p) ===> X~N(np, npq)
I know you weren't replying to my post lol. I was commenting on your reply to the other post, saying that it was a simple enough question and that was all you had to do to work it out.
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ~Bex~)
I know you weren't replying to my post lol. I was commenting on your reply to the other post, saying that it was a simple enough question and that was all you had to do to work it out.

LOLZ, oh well ! Sorry for the confusion !

:cool:
Pban
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
The Normal Approximation to Binomial is only in S2 for MEI. There was a lot of it in S2. But there is no way we would have been expected to do that in this exam... unless they were being really mean:mad:
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Pban)
The Normal Approximation to Binomial is only in S2 for MEI. There was a lot of it in S2. But there is no way we would have been expected to do that in this exam... unless they were being really mean:mad:
Okey, in which case they can't possibly expect you to use that if it only gets taught in a subsequent module !!

I think I probably suggested it as because when I did AQA Maths, it appears in S1, but then we had already done some Stats in the Methods module, so I guess content isn't quite in sync.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (179)
39.43%
No - but I will (25)
5.51%
No - I don't want to (32)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (218)
48.02%

Watched Threads