Edexcel AS Geography unit 1 - Global challenges Watch

ahussaing
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys

Anyone resitting this exam in May 2013 if so what are you doing to revise for this exam? also can you remember all that stuff which you learned for the January 2013 exam? I'm just reading over text books recapping my mind and going over past exam questions. I would really appreciate it if anyone could provide me with the January 2013 examiner report as this would help me to see what other candidates wrote for the questions set in that exam. Thank you very much guys.
ExamTime17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not resitting it, doing it for the first time. I'm just revising everything because from past papers, they don't tend to repeat questions as the syllabus is so large. What came up in January?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
ahussaing
Rep:
?
(Original post by ExamTime17)
I'm not resitting it, doing it for the first time. I'm just revising everything because from past papers, they don't tend to repeat questions as the syllabus is so large. What came up in January?

Hey yeah I sat the unit 1 exam in January I thought the paper was relatively okay, some things which I didn't revise about whatsoever for instance local roots and the natural greenhouse effect process but despite that I thought the paper was OK to answer. Just have to beware of your timing I nearly ran out of time in that exam which led to me getting a poor grade which is why I'm retaking it in June. Do you want me to provide you with the January 2013 past paper, mark scheme and examiner report for unit 1?
ExamTime17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That would be absolutely fantastic!! Thank you so much

ahussaing
Rep:
?
(Original post by ExamTime17)
That would be absolutely fantastic!! Thank you so much

Hi would you mind providing me with your email address as it's not allowing me to upload it on here. Thanks.
rebeccavee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi was hoping you could let me know what topics came up in jan13 especially the essay questions. I'm doing unit 1 for the first time too we did unit 2 first because its meant to be harder but there's a ridiculous amount to know for this unit 1 test feeling very nervous! And geography is meant to be easy but I'm most scared for this
muzika
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Im resitting it this exam, I think that January exam was quite hard so I end up only with C (1 mark off a B), how I can remember essay questions were about EU migration and benefits of Polish immigrants to UK.
GottaRevise
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey I am resitting the exam but I did it last year so I forgot how broad it was... I still need to go over the human geography stuff :/ Just hope we all do well. need an A in this, I would say that doing lots of past paper questions regardless of the fact that they do not repeat much will be helpful as you will learn how to control your timing and how to write the relevant amounts of points for the question
Luketreherne
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ahussaing)
Hey guys

Anyone resitting this exam in May 2013 if so what are you doing to revise for this exam? also can you remember all that stuff which you learned for the January 2013 exam? I'm just reading over text books recapping my mind and going over past exam questions. I would really appreciate it if anyone could provide me with the January 2013 examiner report as this would help me to see what other candidates wrote for the questions set in that exam. Thank you very much guys.
Hi

At my school we didn't have the chance to sit any of the exams so we are sitting both exams in may.

My advice would be to do to mind maps , this helps me visualize it as i am a visual learner. It is aslo important you know the relevant example's and case studies for the exam , as this would help you get into the mark band 3 and 4's. My target is a D , but i need a C minimum to do it as A2 at my Sixth Form , however i am aiming for a B Grade.

Hope this helps

Regards

Luke
monoman01
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Luketreherne)
Hi

At my school we didn't have the chance to sit any of the exams so we are sitting both exams in may.

My advice would be to do to mind maps , this helps me visualize it as i am a visual learner. It is aslo important you know the relevant example's and case studies for the exam , as this would help you get into the mark band 3 and 4's. My target is a D , but i need a C minimum to do it as A2 at my Sixth Form , however i am aiming for a B Grade.

Hope this helps

Regards

Luke
I did the January 2013 Paper and got a low B in it so am retaking unit 1 in May in the hope of getting an A. It was very heavily based on trade blocs and NGE and EGE, essay title on physical geography was on tropical cyclones - the boundaries were slightly lower.

I would advice revising your Arctic and Africa case studies as these could easily appear in the essay or in a 5 marker. Look out for also explanations of global warmings and evidence, perhaps population migration and flows as this has also not come up in a while (e.g. Poland to UK, UK over 65 to Spain). Other than that it is pretty hard to predict but I would suggest there won't be as much significance on trade blocs and research like family trees as this came up in Jan 13 - although you may see a sneaky 5 marker on Milankovitch Cycle...
rebeccavee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wondering whether there is any benefit in doing the essays first..read some examiners reports saying its common but not sure whether to do it or not :s have any of you been told? my teachers haven't said anything
Steve1654
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My 3rd time doing this exam!
1st time got a B
2nd time i retook got a low A even though i stupidly did 2 questions at the end instead of one because i was revising unit 3 at the same time, mixed it all up!
So this time i have to remember to do 1 question at the end and get higher marks than last time to give me some safety for unit 4 and my overall grade!
Im hoping for some easy essay questions, i thought last january was a little more tricky than all the past papers i've done.

What are you all heavily revising?
abzy1234
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rebeccavee)
Wondering whether there is any benefit in doing the essays first..read some examiners reports saying its common but not sure whether to do it or not :s have any of you been told? my teachers haven't said anything
Do what's best for you. If you feel confident in getting the essays out of the way first, then by all means do so. For me, I rather build myself towards the essay; section A helps to get my mind on track on the content!

(Original post by Steve1654)
My 3rd time doing this exam!
1st time got a B
2nd time i retook got a low A even though i stupidly did 2 questions at the end instead of one because i was revising unit 3 at the same time, mixed it all up!
So this time i have to remember to do 1 question at the end and get higher marks than last time to give me some safety for unit 4 and my overall grade!
Im hoping for some easy essay questions, i thought last january was a little more tricky than all the past papers i've done.

What are you all heavily revising?
This is my second time, got a B first time round, hoping to get above 100UMS so only have to get around 31/80UMS in Unit 4 for an A

I'm really concentrating on the physical stuff. I haven't touched natural hazards and climate change for ages, so it's all a bit rusty, but slowly getting there! I really find the unit 3 knowledge quite complementary though; like linking water and energy conflicts with climate change, plus the biodiversity issues; plus superpowers and bridging the development gap really helps the going global stuff.
GEO69
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi guys,

Does anyone have a copy of the Unit 1:Global Challenges January 2013 edexcel paper by any chance?
RoryS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GEO69)
Hi guys,

Does anyone have a copy of the Unit 1:Global Challenges January 2013 edexcel paper by any chance?
I need this too!
Steve1654
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by abzy1234)
Do what's best for you. If you feel confident in getting the essays out of the way first, then by all means do so. For me, I rather build myself towards the essay; section A helps to get my mind on track on the content!

This is my second time, got a B first time round, hoping to get above 100UMS so only have to get around 31/80UMS in Unit 4 for an A

I'm really concentrating on the physical stuff. I haven't touched natural hazards and climate change for ages, so it's all a bit rusty, but slowly getting there! I really find the unit 3 knowledge quite complementary though; like linking water and energy conflicts with climate change, plus the biodiversity issues; plus superpowers and bridging the development gap really helps the going global stuff.
Yeah im doing the same! I think unit 4 will be the hardest, so hopefully doing well in this will give me some leeway! And yeah i totally agree! The stuff we've learnt from unit 3 is incredibly useful for unit 1! We've got an advantage over the year 12's going first time through!! :P
abzy1234
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah im doing the same! I think unit 4 will be the hardest, so hopefully doing well in this will give me some leeway! And yeah i totally agree! The stuff we've learnt from unit 3 is incredibly useful for unit 1! We've got an advantage over the year 12's going first time through!! :P
Defo! Writing one question for 70 marks in timed conditions seems so daunting :/ What topic are you doing?

Oh we do! Especially with all the essay development that comes with A2
Steve1654
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by abzy1234)
Defo! Writing one question for 70 marks in timed conditions seems so daunting :/ What topic are you doing?

Oh we do! Especially with all the essay development that comes with A2
I'm doing life on the margins which is the food one! What about you?
abzy1234
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing life on the margins which is the food one! What about you?
The World of Cultural Diversity- I find that topic extremely interesting! The pre-release was very good as well. Just need to prep that report-essay exam structure in the next few weeks
monoman01
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So coming up really close to this exam and trying to get some last minute cramming in. Just thought I would ask what everyone what they thought was most likely to come up and what everyone is particularly focused on and revising.

Anyway this is my experience and what I think:

I did the January 2013 Paper and got a low B in it so am retaking unit 1 in in the hope of getting an A. It was very heavily based on topic 2 - Going Global with trade blocs and global warming NGE and EGE. I found it quite a hard paper to be honest...

For those asking I do not own the 2013 paper but I know all the essay titles. I did the first physical geography one which was Explain the El Nino Cycles and how they affect floods and drought and global patterns of cyclone and storm risk which I anwsered. Just ask me if you want the other essay questions.

I have a feeling something like the distribution of hydro-meteorlogical hazards for a physical could come up, it would not suprise me...

I have not seen the Arctic and Africa case studies come up in a while and think that this could probably come up as a 5 marker or even the essay question? Look out for also explanations of global warmings and evidence, perhaps population migration and flows as this has also not come up in a while (e.g. Poland to UK, UK over 65 to Spain). I would suggest there won't be as much significance on trade blocs/TNCs and research like family trees as this came up in Jan 13 - although you may see a sneaky 5 marker on Milankovitch Cycle...that would piss me off ^^

Other than that I am open to suggestions and aid please?

many thanks

-mono
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (166)
18.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.54%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.64%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise