The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Sociable Accommodation

I've had a poor experience at Newcastle University in my first year, and I'm applying to go into Leeds at Stage 2. Can you recommend the most sociable accommodation and is there particular process to sort people into accommodation through their hobbies, etc?
Hi

Sorry for the slow reply!

We always get asked about sociable accommodation - I'd hate to think that any of our halls were unsociable :wink: It's also important to remember that what makes the halls special isn't the buildings, it's the people in them, and they change every year!

In terms of how we "sort" people into our accommodation, it's done in two parts:

Firstly, there's your application. If you have accepted an offer from the University of Leeds (either for Firm OR Insurance) to start studies in 2013, you can apply on-line now at http://accommodation.leeds.ac.uk/apply
The application form asks you about yourself (e.g if you smoke, if you wish to be considered for a mixed-gender flat, if you'd prefer a quieter environment, if you would like to share with flatmates with similar dietary requirements etc). Then, you are asked to select a preferred residence, and indicate your accommodation preferences (used if we cannot fit you into your preferred residence). There is also space for you to add further information - e.g if you play an instrument and would like a residence with music practice rooms, or perhaps you're really sporty and want to share with other sporty people. We try and take this into consideration when allocating rooms.

The second stage is then allocating rooms. I wrote a (very long!) post about it in November, it explains how students are then allocated to rooms: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2181995&p=40334228#post40334228

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Amanda
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Quick Reply

Latest