Translations Watch

This discussion is closed.
deary_ma_leary
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hey. is anyone doing Translations by Brian Friel for English a2?
Sweetpeaz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by deary_ma_leary)
I did it last year! Excellent play!! I loved the whole idea of it... what's in a name........ and the relationship between Yolland and Maire was brilliantly written!

why do u ask?
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
did it for gcse
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sweetpeaz)
I did it last year! Excellent play!! I loved the whole idea of it... what's in a name........ and the relationship between Yolland and Maire was brilliantly written!

why do u ask?
yeah me too - 2 years running in fact - 1st year AS was translations by itself and then the second year was spent comparing it to Tempest
deary_ma_leary
Rep:
?
i really really enjoy studying it. i didnt think there'd be much to say at first because the language seems so simple but i think it's great. i was just wondering did you do lang/lit or just lit?
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i really really enjoy studying it. i didnt think there'd be much to say at first because the language seems so simple but i think it's great. i was just wondering did you do lang/lit or just lit?
lit - need some help?
deary_ma_leary
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
lit - need some help?
not particulalrly. i feel quite confident with it but i was wondering if there was any extra reading you could sugest as i'd like to know a bit more about the context im doing lang/lit though so in terms of the questions and stuff it'll probably all be quite different.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
not particulalrly. i feel quite confident with it but i was wondering if there was any extra reading you could sugest as i'd like to know a bit more about the context im doing lang/lit though so in terms of the questions and stuff it'll probably all be quite different.
look up plenty of secondary sources such as critical essays discussing the essential points about the language - there are a lot of things about the importance of language, culture, and knowing one's culture is to be proud and to know one's self - there is also the sense that appreciation of one's history is very important.

Also read Who's Aftaid of Virginia Woolf and the Tempest - two plays that have often been compared to translations - you will find that in the tempest language and birthright are important and in Virginia Woolf communication skills are clearly lacking as there is often conflict leading from confusion between the two couples involved - much like the problems between the irish and the english 'sapper-fellows' - that is why the Donnelly's kill Yolland and doalty is always being difficult like when he cut a path in the grass leading yolland and co back home

Hope this helps
rutera
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
york notes is quite good but you're teacher has probably got it and photocopied it for the class or something like that. but history books, even modern irish history about the IRA is somewhat relevant. some fantastic poets have written some great work around that topic like yeats.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rutera)
york notes is quite good but you're teacher has probably got it and photocopied it for the class or something like that. but history books, even modern irish history about the IRA is somewhat relevant. some fantastic poets have written some great work around that topic like yeats.
Easter Rising 1918? i think ...
rutera
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
Easter Rising 1918? i think ...
Easter 1916... oooh, close.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rutera)
Easter 1916... oooh, close.
lol - my year out is starting to tell ...
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.49%
Excited (157)
9.12%
Worried (306)
17.77%
Terrified (382)
22.18%
Meh (173)
10.05%
Confused (37)
2.15%