sit ups Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
how many situps (crunches) should one do a day before getting a toned stomach. I have been doing at least 150 a day (6 sets of 25) at least 6 days a week for pretty long time now, coming onto 6 weeks (and before this i did sit ups alot but probably less regularly). I don't weight a great deal about 8 stone and maybe 4 or 5 pounds, and i'm 5"8 so although i'm not sure i don't think my body fat could be at that high a level. my stomach is solid as a rock when i tense it, and looks quite toned then too. but when i'm relaxed it isn't at all :mad: . Anyone know where i'm going wrong?
Laura Lou
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What sort of thing do you eat?
Anonymous #1
Um well i'm a vegarian but i do try and get quite alot of protein in my diet - i eat alot of quorn and pulses etc. I have a pretty healthy diet eat alot of fruit, veg etc never have fried food or chips or anything like that, i do have a chocolate downfall i probably have a bar every day i suppose but that is the only snack/unhealthy thing. Oh and i drink but only around 1/2 times a week and i used to never drink but i still couldn't get a toned stomach then either :mad:
Chi3f
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
do some running to get rid of some fat
Caribou
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you can't tone a muscle.

however.. if you just lose some fat through cardio your abs will become more pronounced.

up your reps to 30/35 only need to really do 3 sets of that every couple of days.

I do mine on a fit ball with weights... build up to the weights..
*titanium*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well firstly, for a 6 pack you need a bodyfat % of 10% or less. You sya you weight 8 stones, but if you are short and have very little muscle you could be over 10% body fat %, i dont know you so i cant say.

You write crunches in brackets as if they are the same as situps, they are not, look for a diagram on google or something.

You should do weighted crunches by putting a weight on your chest, 10 kg would be a good start but increase this quickly, so 2-3 sets, each one till failure, try getting the weight such that your first set is about 15 reps or so, idealy less, but i know its not easy to get that low with crunches. I dont know why this person in the post above is reccomenending more reps, it is high intensity, low reps, that build muscle.

Do this every other day, and take a few days off every few weeks.

Eat lots of protein.
TomX
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
how many situps (crunches) should one do a day before getting a toned stomach. I have been doing at least 150 a day (6 sets of 25) at least 6 days a week for pretty long time now, coming onto 6 weeks (and before this i did sit ups alot but probably less regularly). I don't weight a great deal about 8 stone and maybe 4 or 5 pounds, and i'm 5"8 so although i'm not sure i don't think my body fat could be at that high a level. my stomach is solid as a rock when i tense it, and looks quite toned then too. but when i'm relaxed it isn't at all :mad: . Anyone know where i'm going wrong?
Don't be lazy: do more cardio and more weighted crunches.

Of course, I doubt you're lazy because you used the search function of the forum before posting didn't you? Oh wait, you never.
brimstone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Situps should be done in conjuction with other exercises if you wish to get anywhere.
Bis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's all about getting rid of the fat first, so lower the calories and add some cardio. You need to do less situps with higher resistance, too. Weighted crunches to about 10 reps max is what you need, and a few sets with a variation in exercises. Would you do 150 reps for your biceps?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by TomX)
Don't be lazy: do more cardio and more weighted crunches.

Of course, I doubt you're lazy because you used the search function of the forum before posting didn't you? Oh wait, you never.
Witty! you know you didnt have to read/write in my thread if you found it so annoying.

The problem with doing more cardio is that i'm worried about losing weight, i go swimming 2/3 times a week and i walk alot as well so my fitness is ok. But there are areas of my figure which are really skinny - unattractively so - like my back and if i do cardio won't i gain muscle but also lose fat weight and since you can't spot reduce isn't it likely that places like my back/chest (where i seem to lose weight most easily) will get skinnier?
Chi3f
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i didnt get any of that
DoMakeSayThink
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you can't find any weights, you could always try doing situps whilst holding your legs in the air. So there is a 90 degree bend at your hips, and again at your knees (quadriceps pointing towards the sky, calfs parallel to the ground). You won't be able to sit up all the way, but that doesn't matter, you still work the right muscles.
Caribou
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by DoMakeSayThink)
If you can't find any weights,.
Then buy some.
Chi3f
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by DoMakeSayThink)
If you can't find any weights
improvise
lovelee-jublee
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Chi3f)
improvise
Tins of beans are very good :p:

To try and shift the fat you really need to do some sort of cardio activity - using a rowing machine would be good because it's working your abs as well as being a CV activity.
Jums
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Try this exercise:

Lie on your back, hands clasped behind your head, knees held up directly above your arse, lower legs horizontal (so there is a 90 degree bend at the knees).

Sit up and twist to the left, bringing your right elbow towards your left knee. At the same time, thrust out your right leg so that the leg is straight and foot is about 20 cm from the floor.

Hold it for a second.

Without letting your shoulders back down (keeping the muscles tense), swap sides so you left elbow is at your right knee (now bent) and your left leg is out straight.

Do 50 of these, holding each for a full second. Do about 4 sets for a nice round 200, once or twice a day.

The advantages of this are:
1. By not lying back down, the muscles are constantly tensed and therefore getting a more intensive workout.
2. The motion of the legs and twisting of the torso works the lower abs as well as the upper ones, which normal situps tend to neglect. You need all 6 in order to get a 6-pack.
miki_da_magpie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yea lotsa good ideas here. I'm building on my abs as well and its coming along nicely. Situps and crunches...:rolleyes: you do really need to have a good technique inorder to build ur abs with these. Situps and crunches work best for maintaining the six pack. The knees bent 90degrees cros your right arm to left leg, and visa versa exercise is good lol. And also, if you want to localize the areas you are trying to build here's some hand exercises:

Left and right sides of your stomach (often neglected cus they dont build the six pack but they are key in being able to see the six pack). If you get these areas tight then it rlly shows where your 6 pack is/should be. Lie on one side with your knees bent so your lower legs tuch ur butt. Lean ur bent legs against something steadfast (like a wall). Lie on your back so ur torso is slightly twisted, and do normal crunches up and down working your one side. This really helped me.

Another good exercise (this one for your lower abs) which i found most useful. Lie on your back with your head slightly raised (not so that your looking at your toes, but looking up). Lift your legs to 90 degrees with your hips and move your legs back down do they are nearly touching the floor and hold. Then back up again. Do 30 of those slowly and you will feel the burn.

Hope that get's you on your way for a bit.
Anonymous #2
Report 12 years ago
lol it's annoying but a good deal is down to genes.

If you're naturally weedy, it's incredibly hard to get anywhere. It's like physiognomy but different.

in fact it isnt at all like physiognomy but the point is you could well be screwed before you begin.
Sprog
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Are you male or female? Females should do different types of sit ups to males. Google it and you should find some good sites. If you're male my post is rubbish and you should listen to everyone else's advice!!
Steph x
Anonymous #1
Female. i just need to cross the boundary between tensing my stomach and it looking good and it looking good without tensing it. the fact that it looks toned when i tense it tells me i'm going in the right direction but i just can't get that bit further. i don't want a six pack as such - i know that's a little out of my reach just a different look at the moment it just looks weird and i don't like it at all.

I understand where all the people telling me to do cardio and lose the fat are coming from but i really don't think 'fat' is the issue as such. i mean by bmi is only about 17.5 (so you can see why i don't really want to lose weight), and in the past it was only 16.2 and i STILL didn't have much tone to my stomach.

How do you find out what your body fat index is?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
7%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.63%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (256)
47.15%

Watched Threads