New Tech Bacc A-level alternative launched: would you do it?

Watch
Poll: The new Tech Bacc qualification: would you do (or have done) it?
YES: I’ve already done A-levels (or equivalent), but WOULD HAVE done a Tech Bacc if it were offered (7)
5.04%
NO: I’ve already done A-levels (or equivalent), but WOULD NOT HAVE done a Tech Bacc if it were offered (89)
64.03%
YES: I’ve not done A-levels (or equivalent) yet and WOULD consider doing a Tech Bacc (7)
5.04%
NO: I’ve not done A-levels (or equivalent) yet and WOULD NOT consider doing a Tech Bacc (34)
24.46%
OTHER/UNSURE (please post your comments in the thread) (2)
1.44%
Zomo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
The Government will launch the new Technical Baccalaureate today, which aims to boost the status of vocational education in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22225953

Tech Bacc candidates will need to show abilities in maths, literacy and a 'high level vocational qualification'.

It is designed to be a performance measure for schools on a par with A-levels and will provide 'credible evidence of skills for students to show to employers' in areas such as IT, construction, retail, hospitality and digital media.

Labour proposed something similar last year so there is wide support for the proposals.

Germany has been offering this sort of route for years, and the US is also starting to notice the potential economic benefits of doing so.

What do you think? If you've already done A-levels, would you have done a Tech Bacc if it was on offer? If you're not at that stage yet, will you consider doing the Tech Bacc?
CodeJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
vocational education. :rolleyes: I don't like the idea.
tory88
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I wouldn't have personally, as I always planned on pursuing the academic route, but I certainly support the idea of introducing more vocational options that aren't just for people that want an easy ride. The way to do that, however, is through trade schools and apprenticeships. So although this is a step in the right direction, there are still improvements needed.
Miracle Day
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I wouldn't have done it because vocational subjects have never really appealed to me, mainly because they're not as valued by Universities. It'll be interesting to see if they manage to create a vocational subject deemed 'respectful' per sei.
Jam'
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ugh I support this

I hate this stigma that seems to shroud any form of work that involves a bit of hands-on action.

Academic studies are great - but they're not sufficient in their own right to prepare students for work. Everything is too theoretical and the application in society isn't established strongly enough.

I work for a global company that provides engineering services. Most of the people in the top jobs here have a vocational background - working on site and understanding the industry for what it is, not what some old professor speculated it was like from his office.
JohnCun97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jam')
Academic studies are great - but they're not sufficient in their own right to prepare students for work. Everything is too theoretical and the application in society isn't establish strongly enough.
Completely agree with this! Academic studies are good, it depends what kind of career you want to go into. But they really don't prepare people for work, anything practical anyway.

I want to do Mechanical Engineering next year at college (instead of A Levels) mainly because I don't want to go to Uni, and I will get more hands on experience, but it depends what you route you want to take.
yellowcopter
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This is more aimed at those who want vocational routes such as construction. I'm still thinking but I want to do mainly written subjects such as English Literature, a Science and Maths maybe so even if I did have the choice there wouldn't even be a 'Tech Bacc' for the subjects I want to do.

I'm trying to figure out what's the point though. We already have BTEC Level 3 for those who want a vocational route so why do we need this? They may claim it will be seen more as an acceptable qualification but universities such as Oxford and Cambridge will probably still not accept nothing more than good old A-Levels and most who do vocational subjects as they said don't want to go to uni and workplaces however in comparison to unis accept BTECs just fine.
qgujxj39
Badges: 17
Report 8 years ago
I wouldn't have done it personally because it's not suited to me, but I think it's a great idea.
Damask-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
"It will not be another separate qualification, but will be evidence that a young person has a particular set of employer-friendly skills."

So... what exactly is it if it's not a qualification? :confused:
The Mad Dog
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Surely, if this isn't a qualification, you're far better pursuing recognised BTEC, City and Guild etc qualifications as a vocational education route?
BWCW
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Is this Department of Education literally going to add 'Baccalaureate' to the end of every word in the hope it will create a magic new educational breakthrough?
(At least choose a word students will be able to spell when putting it on their CVs!)
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by The Mad Dog)
Surely, if this isn't a qualification, you're far better pursuing recognised BTEC, City and Guild etc qualifications as a vocational education route?
Think of all the people who have acquired all the defunct qualifications that some bright spark has dreamed up over the last 30 years only for them to be abandoned a year or two later.

Better the devil you know.

(Original post by Paramore<3)
Is this Department of Education literally going to add 'Baccalaureate' to the end of every word in the hope it will create a magic new educational breakthrough?
(At least choose a word students will be able to spell when putting it on their CVs!)
Perhaps that is the point. It is much simpler to autofilter on the ability to spell a single word.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Isn't this just a rehashing of Ed Ball's Diplomas?

It's all well and good saying that this will raise the status of vocational qualifications, but in the eyes of the public - and indeed universities - vocational qualifications are inherently inferior to academic qualifications and this simply will not change by putting out some new qualification in how to pull pints.
JohnCun97
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Doing a BTEC would probably hold you in good stead if you wanted to go down the vocational route..

I don't understand why the government are trying to make more vocational qualifications, when BTEC Level 3's are there and others..

Unless they want them to be deemed more respected?

I wish they were more respected anyway.
gagaslilmonsteruk
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's a system that works in France and it gives young people the chance to further their education in a field that doesn't necessarily have to be academic. It also reduces youth unemployment. I'm all for it.
Alotties
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I wouldn't have chosen it as I'm looking for a career in an area like academic research but I think this would be a good opportunity for someone like my younger brother who is just as intelligent as me but prefers a subject where he can learn a skill hands on (he's going to college to do bricklaying or something similar ) as this would get him recognition of higher levels of maths and english as well as a higher level of skill in a trade.
Runninground
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Is this not just a fancy name for a BTEC?
I think they need to put more into Apprenticeships. They create skilled workers (not just in manual labour) who gain knowledge of the working environment.
jamie3009
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Even though they wont admit it, I think that a lot of people seem to look down their noses at vocational qualifications when compared with A levels etc. In industries like engineering, vocational qualifications are just as good and in many cases better than purely academic qualifications as reality is no where near the theory in these industries. As someone said above, quite a lot of top engineers often work their way up through the ranks, beginning as apprentices as they often have a much more realistic grasp of the industry than someone with no practical experience. University is good however as it allows a thorough understanding of a subject to be gained and helps with personal development, although it is not the only route as some people think. I studied a diploma and I am now studying for an engineering degree and im glad i chose the diploma instead of straight A-levels.
Nitrogen
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Doubt its ever going to be favoured by universities. High mathematical ability? Do A-level Maths/FM. Interested in technology? We've got A-level Computing, A-Level IT, BTEC IT and BTEC Engineering. Introducing this Tech Bacc would do nothing. It sounds like a glorified BTEC tbh.
BlahBlaBlahBla
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jam')
Ugh I support this

I hate this stigma that seems to shroud any form of work that involves a bit of hands-on action.

Academic studies are great - but they're not sufficient in their own right to prepare students for work. Everything is too theoretical and the application in society isn't establish strongly enough.

I work for a global company that provides engineering services. Most of the people in the top jobs here have a vocational background - working on site and understanding the industry for what it is, not what some old professor speculated it was like from his office.
I have to say I agree with a lot of what you say here
I did A Levels two years ago and then took a BTEC Level 3 qual in Business Studies before applying to go to Uni for this September coming
I felt almost like my A Levels were too generic as if anyone could have these and it would not limit any competition I came across so I chose to do an extra course first
But if they had offered something such as this Tech Bacc I would have taken it in order to gain a little something extra that might make employers turn and look at me and see something different and more experienced maybe?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.71%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.88%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.15%
I need help with my personal statement (53)
38.97%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
25.74%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.21%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.35%

Watched Threads