The Student Room Group

OCR AS Ethics Predictions

Hello :smile:

I was wondering whether anyone sitting the OCR AS Ethics exam on the 13th of May has made any predictions as to what they think might come up.

Personally, I think that Kantian Ethics, Christian Ethics and Euthanasia will definitely come up. What do you think? :cool:

Thank You

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm pretty confident Kant will come up, I desperately want natural law and christian ethics too! :frown:
Are you doing philosophy as well?
Christian ethics and natural law came up in January I think utilitarianism and Kant and genetic engineering will come up In ethics with Aristotle ontological god the creator and moral argument in philosophy
Reply 3
Original post by molly667
I'm pretty confident Kant will come up, I desperately want natural law and christian ethics too! :frown:
Are you doing philosophy as well?

I will be very happy if Kantian Ethics and Christian Ethics come up :smile: As those are two that i have actually prioritized.
I am not sitting the Philosophy paper, as I had a B. My Ethics paper is a re-sit, I was not happy with the grade, so i thought it was only correct for me to do so.
I have studied all the past papers and the trends and my predictions are -

ETHICS -

Explain Kant's theory of the Categorical Imperative
Explain Peter Singer's theory of Preference Utilitariansim
Explain how a moral absolutist may approach moral issues surrounding genetic engeneering
Explain the concept of 'Moral Relatavism'

PHILOSOPHY -

Explain Descartes Ontological Argument
Explain the traditional theistic view of 'God the Lawgiver'
Explain NOMA and it's connotations
Explain Aristotle's theory of the four causes
Original post by BrunoRussell

ETHICS -

Explain how a moral absolutist may approach moral issues surrounding genetic engeneering

PHILOSOPHY -

I'm sorry, what's NOMA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IHateRevisionOK?
I'm sorry, what's NOMA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Non-Overlapping Majesteria. It's to do with the Science stuff- the belief that science and religion can co-exist.
In an essay You'd explain

What is it - Definition

It's place in philosophical thinking and the philosophical debate of 'can science and religion co-exist'

It's link to the How/Why Oversimplification

It's rejection of Intelligent Design and Irreduxable Complexity

Support from John Polkinghorne and Jocelyn-Bell Burnell

Criticsms from Richard Dawkins and Peter Atkins

My predictions for philosophy personally are...
A question of the goodness of God
A question on the Ontological argument
A question on the problem of evil
And a question on Teleological argument!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think Kantian Ethics, Utilitarianism and I think Peace and War (Pacifism, Just War Theory and applying Kant and Bentham to war). Also Christian Ethics might come up.

I really don't want anything to do with Christian Ethics or Natural law. I haven't revised any of it!! :frown:
Reply 9

ETHICS -

PHILOSOPHY -

Do you not think anything on euthanasia will come up?
Reply 10
Am I the only person who hasn't been taught NOMA..?
Kantian ethics will definitely come up in my opinion, but it could be applying it to anything.
I really want evil and the ontological to be asked!
I've covered NOMA but literally in a sentence in a booklet. I think it's highly unlikely they'll ask us a direct question on that... But I suppose they could, like when they did a question on Irreducible Complexity!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IHateRevisionOK?
I've covered NOMA but literally in a sentence in a booklet. I think it's highly unlikely they'll ask us a direct question on that... But I suppose they could, like when they did a question on Irreducible Complexity!

Posted from TSR Mobile

According to the examiners comments (see OCR website); another focused question on science like that is likely; as it was not well answered generally the previous time round.
Original post by tayyiba
Do you not think anything on euthanasia will come up?

I don't think so. If it does, it may be applied to the Peter Singer question. It has been asked in 3 of the previous 4 papers though, so more unlikely.
Reply 14

ETHICS -

PHILOSOPHY -

For Kant's Cat would I just write a little bit about duty and good will, the 3 main bits of Cat, compare to hypothetical and then moral autonomous agents. anything else?

Also what would I out for moral absolutist approach to GE if it came up? Obviously you would put about all stuff about what moral absolutism entails etc and then maybe would you put some examples of what absolutist theories like Kant would say of GE? What else?
Reply 15
Include the idea of "ought implies can"
God as creator is more likely to come up than law giver but apart from that I Totally agree with you I've looked at patterns and yep that's what's likely to come up good luck guys!!!
Original post by KateMcM
For Kant's Cat would I just write a little bit about duty and good will, the 3 main bits of Cat, compare to hypothetical and then moral autonomous agents. anything else?

Also what would I out for moral absolutist approach to GE if it came up? Obviously you would put about all stuff about what moral absolutism entails etc and then maybe would you put some examples of what absolutist theories like Kant would say of GE? What else?

Hey a good Kant plan is the following

What is Absolutism - Why is Kant absolutis

Theory being deontological

Free will and Good will

Theoretical and Practical reason

Difference between the Hypothetical and Categorical Imperatives

The three Maxims

As for the absolutist approach to Genetic Engeneering question; define and explain absolutism and then take 2 absolutist theories (out of Christian Ethic, Kant and Natural Law) and apply to the main moral issues of GE and say how these theories would approach. The issues would be: personhood, quality of life, sanctity of life, rights and who has rights and precidents. Also you may pick specific things out the theories - for example you could say Natural Law would agree with GE as Science has the final purpose of aiding development and therefore GE allows Science to fufill it's purpose (Aristotelian thinking).

Hope that helps!
Reply 18
Non-Overlapping Majesteria. It's to do with the Science stuff- the belief that science and religion can co-exist.
In an essay You'd explain

What is it - Definition

It's place in philosophical thinking and the philosophical debate of 'can science and religion co-exist'

It's link to the How/Why Oversimplification

It's rejection of Intelligent Design and Irreduxable Complexity

Support from John Polkinghorne and Jocelyn-Bell Burnell

Criticsms from Richard Dawkins and Peter Atkins

How does NOMA reject Intelligent Design and Irreducible Complexity?
Reply 19
Hey a good Kant plan is the following

What is Absolutism - Why is Kant absolutis

Theory being deontological

Free will and Good will

Theoretical and Practical reason

Difference between the Hypothetical and Categorical Imperatives

The three Maxims

As for the absolutist approach to Genetic Engeneering question; define and explain absolutism and then take 2 absolutist theories (out of Christian Ethic, Kant and Natural Law) and apply to the main moral issues of GE and say how these theories would approach. The issues would be: personhood, quality of life, sanctity of life, rights and who has rights and precidents. Also you may pick specific things out the theories - for example you could say Natural Law would agree with GE as Science has the final purpose of aiding development and therefore GE allows Science to fufill it's purpose (Aristotelian thinking).

Hope that helps!

Thank you that is brilliant!

Quick Reply

Latest