The Student Room Group

Just failed my theory test... :(!

Hey guys,
So yup, as the title suggests I have just wasted £31 and about an hour of my life achieving absolutely nothing :frown:
Got 40/50 in the multiple choice part (pass mark is 43!! :angry:) and I got 63 for the hazard perception (pass mark is like 46 or something).
So I failed by THREE marks!

Arghhhh I'm so angry with myself!
Basically I want you all to cheer me up and tell me that you didn't pass the first time either, just so I don't feel like a total idiot :P
Or even just tell me your stories and tips for my next attempt :smile:

With exams in 9 days, I might have picked the wrong time to book it :frown:

EDIT: Negged?? Kick a girl when she's down, eh? :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Failed by 3 marks..so you've got the hazard perception cracked. I will almost guarantee you that you will achieve around 47 or 48 when you do it again. You were probably nervous for the first time and lost some concentration. Just study a bit more and you will achieve. I pity the people who pass the first time by one mark or so..since it shows that they haven't learnt enough and shouldn't even have the chance to do the practical and pass by "luck". I passed my theory first time, but I scored 49/50 and failed on the question about some MOT document. Do it again, and you will pass, I will bet money on it.
Reply 2
Original post by FrozenBeak
Failed by 3 marks..so you've got the hazard perception cracked. I will almost guarantee you that you will achieve around 47 or 48 when you do it again. You were probably nervous for the first time and lost some concentration. Just study a bit more and you will achieve. I pity the people who pass the first time by one mark or so..since it shows that they haven't learnt enough and shouldn't even have the chance to do the practical and pass by "luck". I passed my theory first time, but I scored 49/50 and failed on the question about some MOT document. Do it again, and you will pass, I will bet money on it.

Yeah hazard perception was the part I was most afraid of as well! I hope you're right, I just need to get my head down and study all the parts that I was struggling with. Thanks for your advice, and well done on passing yours so well!
Reply 3
Original post by xStaceyy
Hey guys,
So yup, as the title suggests I have just wasted £31 and about an hour of my life achieving absolutely nothing :frown:
Got 40/50 in the multiple choice part (pass mark is 43!! :angry:) and I got 63 for the hazard perception (pass mark is like 46 or something).

Basically I want you all to cheer me up and tell me that you didn't pass the first time either, just so I don't feel like a total idiot :P

You got quite a high score on the hazard perception test.
Reply 4
Hey guys,

Failed the first time by 1 MARK! I was sooooooooo annoyed! And felt like giving up but i revised the Highway Code like mad, booked it for the next week and passed! If you're confident in your revision and can book your theory for next week you should. But i can imagine its a really stressful time so dont push yourself. GOOD LUCK :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by QuentinMids
You got quite a high score on the hazard perception test.

Yeah I was really surprised haha!

Original post by Louise4
Failed the first time by 1 MARK! I was sooooooooo annoyed! And felt like giving up but i revised the Highway Code like mad, booked it for the next week and passed! If you're confident in your revision and can book your theory for next week you should. But i can imagine its a really stressful time so dont push yourself. GOOD LUCK :biggrin:

Its so annoying when you fail by hardly anything! I've booked it for the next available slot which is the 13th May :smile: Exams are done by then so hopefully I'll have a better chance!

Original post by Vikki1805
I didn't pass the first time either! :cute:
I failed on the questions by 2 marks, but passed the hazard perception with almost full marks.

It's the questions that are the tricky part! :sad:
You just need to revise, revise and revise.
It tells you what you failed on, on the reverse side of the sheet you get at the end I think? Just practice the areas you're not so strong on!

Best of luck. :smile:

Yeah I was expecting to fail the hazard perception but apparently not haha!
Yeah it gives you the sections that you got questions wrong, wish it would give you the exact questions though!
But yeah, I'll definitely be studying like mad next time and not waiting till the day before again because of exams >.<
Reply 6
I failed mine when I first started to learn because I did no revision for it whatsoever. After I passed the theory I ruptured my ACL and was unable to drive for 9 months. Then I went to Uni so didn't have any lessons for another 3 years.

I started to learn again this January and passed my test (practical) a couple of weeks ago.

It's not all doom and gloom get a DSA book, or google Theory Test Practise there was a website I used, but I can't remember the name. You'll be fine if you do an hour or so's revision.
Reply 7
Original post by LS7SG8
I failed mine when I first started to learn because I did no revision for it whatsoever. After I passed the theory I ruptured my ACL and was unable to drive for 9 months. Then I went to Uni so didn't have any lessons for another 3 years.

I started to learn again this January and passed my test (practical) a couple of weeks ago.

It's not all doom and gloom get a DSA book, or google Theory Test Practise there was a website I used, but I can't remember the name. You'll be fine if you do an hour or so's revision.

Wow that was really quick, well done! I'll use the stuff I have and the stuff I can find online and will get it passed next time! :smile:
Reply 8
You didn't practice enough. I've seen too many people saying it's easy and that they don't need to bother revising for it and then they get some of the whack questions on the test and they fail.

Props on the hazard perception though. That's a good mark.

I'd say you want to be aiming for around 48 on the theory. If you're getting that on practise tests you've got a lot of insurance so to say that you're going to pass it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Camoxide
You didn't practice enough. I've seen too many people saying it's easy and that they don't need to bother revising for it and then they get some of the whack questions on the test and they fail.

Props on the hazard perception though. That's a good mark.

I'd say you want to be aiming for around 48 on the theory. If you're getting that on practise tests you've got a lot of insurance so to say that you're going to pass it.

Yeah I left it to the last minute because I ha to focus on exams... Stupid time to book a test I suppose! :frown:
Thank you, was quite surprised myself to be fair haha. Yeah that's true actually, ill definitely be doing as many practice tests as I can to study.
Reply 11

Ohhh thanks! I keep looking for different ones, this'll come in handy :smile:
Reply 12
Hey guys,

hazard perception by far hardest part so your not an idiot probably just got a bit unlucky with questons :/ just use bsm software thats what i used go through questions on each section guaranteed youll pass next time good luck :smile: !
Reply 13
Original post by Adl91
hazard perception by far hardest part so your not an idiot probably just got a bit unlucky with questons :/ just use bsm software thats what i used go through questions on each section guaranteed youll pass next time good luck :smile: !

Thank you, hope I do it next time! :smile:
Don't worry, most people I know failed the first time!

Myself? I failed the first, and the second, and then the third... All by one mark on multiple choice! Then the next time I did it I aced it. It got really frustrating, but if you've failed it, then when you pass (and I'm sure you will) it will feel so much better than if you just went it did it the first time.

Good luck for the next time you do it, I'm sure you'll do well! :biggrin:

Basically I want you all to cheer me up

Hope that works... fresh out of ideas if it doesn't
Reply 16
At least you know that your hazard perception is being done properly, now you can focus on the MCQs. I didn't passed 2nd time, it helps to be familiar with the experience. It's nothing to worry about :smile:
Reply 17
Yeah it is, especially when you have to pay that amount of money! Ah you should be sorted then :smile: best of luck with your exams and theory :biggrin:
Reply 18
Hey guys,

EDIT: Negged?? Kick a girl when she's down, eh? :tongue:

I failed my theory test the first time as well, the reason why I think people fail isn't because they haven't studied enough - it's the atmosphere (where I took mine in Glasgow) was intense and nerve racking. But the 2nd time was better since it was 50 out of 50.

Weird thing is........... I never even sat my practical test and just gave up.
Reply 19
Original post by LooneyKoala
Don't worry, most people I know failed the first time!

Myself? I failed the first, and the second, and then the third... All by one mark on multiple choice! Then the next time I did it I aced it. It got really frustrating, but if you've failed it, then when you pass (and I'm sure you will) it will feel so much better than if you just went it did it the first time.

Good luck for the next time you do it, I'm sure you'll do well! :biggrin:

That must've been so annoying! Hope you're right, thanks! :smile:

Original post by ConnorB

Hope that works... fresh out of ideas if it doesn't

Wish I could watch this but I'm in the library without headphones haha! Definitely watching it later :P

Original post by ash92:)
At least you know that your hazard perception is being done properly, now you can focus on the MCQs. I didn't passed 2nd time, it helps to be familiar with the experience. It's nothing to worry about :smile:

Yeah thats true, takes a bit of the weight off :smile: Thanks!

Latest