Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain to me how would you structure your answer for a 15 mark question when it says these command words because the meanings given to me don't help to clear much ambiguity on attempting the questions.

I've provided the meaning I was given of these command words and some examples from past papers.

Assess
    'Judge the worth or importance of something'

Rivers, floods and management
    'Assess the relative importance of physical and human causes of river flooding'

Discuss
    'Must give more than one side of an argument'

Population Change
    'An ageing population can bring economic, political and social disadvantages as well as advantages' discuss this view.

To what extent
    'Give a view or an opinion as to how far you agree with a statement'

Coastal Environments
    'Soft engineering works in harmony with the natural environment and is effective in protecting the coast.' To what extent do you agree with this view.

Examine
    *I wasn't given a definition for this one* But I guess it means to look into detail of something.

Population Change
    'Examine how population structure changes at different stages of the demographic transition.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DConnor2012)
    Can someone explain to me how would you structure your answer for a 15 mark question when it says these command words because the meanings given to me don't help to clear much ambiguity on attempting the questions.

I've provided the meaning I was given of these command words and some examples from past papers.
    For all of them you should have a small introduction and conclusion, fairly standard. The main body is really the only different thing.

As you've got examples going to use them.

Assess
    'Judge the worth or importance of something'

Rivers, floods and management
    'Assess the relative importance of physical and human causes of river flooding'
    You simply put how important you think your point is, in you explanation, you have PEE (point, explain, example) you should follow that and state importance. So for your example you'd write a physical cause, explain it, give an example and write how important it is to do with river flooding.

Discuss
    'Must give more than one side of an argument'

Population Change
    'An ageing population can bring economic, political and social disadvantages as well as advantages' discuss this view.
    Fairly straight forward really. You simply have to give a balanced argument that shows the advantages and disadvantages that are PES.

To what extent
    'Give a view or an opinion as to how far you agree with a statement'

Coastal Environments
    'Soft engineering works in harmony with the natural environment and is effective in protecting the coast.' To what extent do you agree with this view.
    Write what you understand of the statement and whether you agree with it or not, and make sure that you justify what you've said by using PEE.

Examine
    *I wasn't given a definition for this one* But I guess it means to look into detail of something.

Population Change
    'Examine how population structure changes at different stages of the demographic transition.'
    Write about what you've been asked to examine, so in this case DTM, and explain what it is, you'd then go into detail on specific parts by using PEE.

Not the only way to do it, but hopefully will help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clareramos)
    For all of them you should have a small introduction and conclusion, fairly standard. The main body is really the only different thing.

As you've got examples going to use them.

You simply put how important you think your point is, in you explanation, you have PEE (point, explain, example) you should follow that and state importance. So for your example you'd write a physical cause, explain it, give an example and write how important it is to do with river flooding.

Fairly straight forward really. You simply have to give a balanced argument that shows the advantages and disadvantages that are PES.

Write what you understand of the statement and whether you agree with it or not, and make sure that you justify what you've said by using PEE.

Write about what you've been asked to examine, so in this case DTM, and explain what it is, you'd then go into detail on specific parts by using PEE.

Not the only way to do it, but hopefully will help.
    YOU'RE A LIFE SAVER THIS HELPED ME SO MUCH. have you done your unit 1 paper yet?

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate the help I'm getting from this, I just need to make sure now that I can include statistics/facts in my answers to push me up into the 12-15 mark higher band criteria for these questions.
    GEOG1 exam tomorrow, wish me luck!

ReputationRep:
    In unit 1, does anyone know the two questions that came up in the Population section which were about Urban and Rural settlements?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 26, 2013

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.