The Student Room Group

Student loan for Architecture program

Hello everyone,
I have a question for you just in case maybe you've already faced with it with other students before. It is truly important just because my funding via student loan depends on it.
As you know, the problem is that full Architecture course (RIBA) is considered to be a 5 years course. Some people here tell that Architecture Program (Part 1 + Part 2) in the eyes of the Student loan company is an inseparable program, and therefore, the credit is available for all 5 years of study but I have not found any solid proof of that.:frown:

The course I applied in Northumbria university Architecture BA (Hons) is 3 year and it means that it is only PART 1. As I found out without PART 2 and additional year of practice we are not architects yet. In Northumbria university (as well as in Newcastle university) Part 2 is considered to be a MArch (Master) which means that I cannot get a student loan for it because they do not provide people with money for “masters”. On the contrary to all previous infomation, RIBA regards architecture students as undergraduates on PART 2 which makes the whole situation with funding even more confusing.
Finally, after several different responses from students I wondered if anyone had a decent answer for me on this particular question - Does Student Loan cover all RIBA architecture programm parts?

The perspective seems to be bad if they won't support me with money to finish the whole programm which leaves me to cover Part 2 by myself.
I am EU student, my local education authority doesn’t even know what to do.)
Original post by Just.Alex
Hello everyone,
I have a question for you just in case maybe you've already faced with it with other students before. It is truly important just because my funding via student loan depends on it.
As you know, the problem is that full Architecture course (RIBA) is considered to be a 5 years course. Some people here tell that Architecture Program (Part 1 + Part 2) in the eyes of the Student loan company is an inseparable program, and therefore, the credit is available for all 5 years of study but I have not found any solid proof of that.:frown:

The course I applied in Northumbria university Architecture BA (Hons) is 3 year and it means that it is only PART 1. As I found out without PART 2 and additional year of practice we are not architects yet. In Northumbria university (as well as in Newcastle university) Part 2 is considered to be a MArch (Master) which means that I cannot get a student loan for it because they do not provide people with money for “masters”. On the contrary to all previous infomation, RIBA regards architecture students as undergraduates on PART 2 which makes the whole situation with funding even more confusing.
Finally, after several different responses from students I wondered if anyone had a decent answer for me on this particular question - Does Student Loan cover all RIBA architecture programm parts?

The perspective seems to be bad if they won't support me with money to finish the whole programm which leaves me to cover Part 2 by myself.
I am EU student, my local education authority doesn’t even know what to do.)

Unfortunately Part II study counts as a post-grad masters course, not an integrated degree-masters course, so SFE won't fund it seperately. I've heard that you can get around it by simply saying that you're doing a 5 year degree course when you sign up for it, though I've not seen the evidence of it working.

You could always phone up SFE and ask their advice? There's also the opportunity of getting sponsored by a company or organisation, but obviously getting SFE backing would be far safer

edit: It's also possible to do your Part II part-time, whilst working in practice. If you saved all your money from your year out after Part I, and did a part-time Part II, you might be able to fund some of it yourself :dontknow: . There's also Career Development Loans and the possibility of bursaries from your university

http://www.architecture.com/EducationAndCareers/BecomingAnArchitect/Funding.aspx
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Hello,
Situation with funding seems to be even complex than i thought. I definately need to call Student loans company but it will be pricelessto call from my country.
I have just got a message from both of my choices now,look:

I can confirm that the SLC does fund the full 5 years of this programme. Please see below a response from the Head of Welfare at Northumbria.

“any full-time student who starts their Part 1 course after 1 September 2012 should be eligible for student support for the duration of the course. This will be the case even if they take a break between part 1 and part 2 . I believe they can take a break of up to 3 years maximum between Part 1 and Part 2. The Part 2 of the course will attract support even if the student is additionally awarded a postgraduate degree (such as M.Arch) as long as the content of Part 2 is undergraduate level and undergraduate fees are charged”.

Ok,I will call them on Monday just to be sure that I will get a support for Part 2. In other case, I had to study in Dundee university 5 year program which I haven't even considered as my firm choice.
I will let you know what happen next anyway.
Thank you for your help.
Reply 3
GUYS!I HAVE FOUND THE ANSWER,FINALLY!

So,as I promised I called directly to SLC.
They told me that "everyone" is eligible for PART 1 and PART 2 funding(for all 5 year even if you applied for 3 year course PART 1),but not Placement years (between the courses) and RIBA Part 3. They will be paid by ourselves only!

So,only one thing i really need to do is to make a firm choice - "Newcastle or Northumbria,to be or not to be,that's the question."
Hi alex,
So basically it doesn't matter if in the Fee Loan application I write only the part 1 rather than 5 years?
In that case, after finishing part 1, do I have to apply for Fee loan again for part 2?
thanks in advance !!
@Just.Alex

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending