Turn on thread page Beta

Should we ban guests? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    lol excatly
    And to be honest, i hadn't even read the FAQ properly until a couple of days ago.
    There was more than one member of the PPU (not the PAP. That idea was abandoned early on, and renamed as the PPU).
    And there was no hostility. That was completely against the nature of the PPU!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    You could have a secret password hidden in them which you need to enter to register!
    shhhhh dont give them ideas!

ReputationRep:
    You could have a secret password hidden in them which you need to enter to register!
    Yeah - thats a great idea, like 2 or 3 questions of the forum.

ReputationRep:
    But people would get bored of it, and not bother registering if that happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    But people would get bored of it, and not bother registering if that happened.
    Im only trying to register ideas to reduce some of the questions asked no need to get too defensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Im only trying to register ideas to reduce some of the questions asked no need to get too defensive.
    I'm not defensive. I am merely stating why your idea would be impractical, thats all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayrosser2004)
    but with all these p-dos at the moment we should be limiting it.
    Has nowt to do with it... they could just as easily reg. and plus there is not such a big prob with pedos... its mostly media hype... :rolleyes:

I'm not sure about limiting guests... a lot of the time if they have a quick question then they don't really wanna reg.

Yeah I've seen this done on some places... its a good idea
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Or simply have to answer the question "Which button do you click to find the answer to a frequently asked question?" with a link to the relevent section of the FAQ and a multichoice answer from "usercp", "members", "faq", "search" or "home"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Or simply have to answer the question "Which button do you click to find the answer to a frequently asked question?" with a link to the relevent section of the FAQ and a multichoice answer from "usercp", "members", "faq", "search" or "home"
    But anyone with any clue whatsoever would probably know that faq stands for frequently asked questions, so whats the point really of asking a question in this situation that would be obvious to most people without looking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayrosser2004)
    but with all these p-dos at the moment we should be limiting it.
    It wouldn't stop anything. How do we know your not a paedophile? How do you know I'm not? The only way to stop it is to make children aware of it so they do go handing out their details.

ReputationRep:
    It would stop anything. How do we know your not a paedophile? How do you know I'm not? The only way to stop it is to make children aware of it so they do go handing out their details.
    Yeah, but its hard to do, when its unclear what they should or should not say.
    I mean, i've put so much stuff about myself various places on the net, even my mobile phone number and stuff, but i suppose it isn't a problem, because i'm old enough not to worry about that sort of stuff.

But with adults not knowing enough about computers, and what people can do, it tends to come down to tv, or radio or something, which they don't listen to really, or younger relations. I've taught my bro alot about computers, so he knows what he can and can't say and do, and why.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    But anyone with any clue whatsoever would probably know that faq stands for frequently asked questions, so whats the point really of asking a question in this situation that would be obvious to most people without looking.
    Yeah I know I was initially writing "Which button would you click to find out how many rep points you have?" but thought that'd be no good because people would get shirty at being examined

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that half the newbies who register hardly have a brain cell between them? They are so bloody thick it's unreal.

How on earth people aren't capable of navigating a forum for themselves or reading the FAQ is beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Yeah I know I was initially writing "Which button would you click to find out how many rep points you have?" but thought that'd be no good because people would get shirty at being examined
    Yeah, and rep isn't something everyones interested in, so it wouldn't be the sort of knowledge that they needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Why is it that half the newbies who register hardly have a brain cell between them? They are so bloody thick it's unreal.

How on earth people aren't capable of navigating a forum for themselves or reading the FAQ is beyond me.
    We were all newbies once.

ReputationRep:
    We were all newbies once.
    But why is it that the older member tend to be cleverer and communicate more coherently than the newbies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    But why is it that the older member tend to be cleverer and communicate more coherently than the newbies?
    Because we're more used to how the forum works and whats going on. Also the older members seem more friendly with each other, so I guess its harder for new people to join in. (I don't really know I'm just making things up to sound clever!)

ReputationRep:
    i dont mind newbies but i hate guests - newbies all become experienced with a bit of time invested in posting on here - they get to know the online etiquette as it were - i was a newbie in January and it didnt take long for me to become a respected member of this forum (yes it is rather conceited but justifiable i think )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Because older members are the members that have found the forum really useful, and haven't just got bored with it, and those sorts of people are the sort of people that have developed a better communicative style.

ReputationRep:
    Because we're more used to how the forum works and whats going on. Also the older members seem more friendly with each other, so I guess its harder for new people to join in. (I don't really know I'm just making things up to sound clever!)
    I'm talking about sounding coherent, punctuation, spelling, grammar etc.

Why is it that half the newbies tend to not be able to communicate normally or spell whatsoever.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.