Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Because older members are the members that have found the forum really useful, and haven't just got bored with it, and those sorts of people are the sort of people that have developed a better communicative style.
    well said

ReputationRep:
    Because older members are the members that have found the forum really useful, and haven't just got bored with it, and those sorts of people are the sort of people that have developed a better communicative style.
    Good answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    I'm talking about sounding coherent, punctuation, spelling, grammar etc.

Why is it that half the newbies tend to not be able to communicate normally or spell whatsoever.
    Because alot of newbies are brought up on texting and stuff, and don't see the problem with communicating in the same way on an internet forum.
    And on some forums, its common etiquette to write in such a way, so maybe thats where they get used to it from.

ReputationRep:
    Because alot of newbies are brought up on texting and stuff, and don't see the problem with communicating in the same way on an internet forum.
    And on some forums, its common etiquette to write in such a way, so maybe thats where they get used to it from.
    Ahh right

ReputationRep:
    I do that all the time nowadays and it is really starting to worry me as sometimes when I'm writing a letter or essay I start to devolve into txt speak and start replacing you with u and stuff.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bono)
    I'm talking about sounding coherent, punctuation, spelling, grammar etc.

Why is it that half the newbies tend to not be able to communicate normally or spell whatsoever.
    Because in a lot of cases this is the first forum/online community that they've been apart of (apart from the hideous MSN). They assume that posting here is similar to having an online chat through an instant messenger or having a text message conversation and so use the style of typing/posting that they are used to there. It takes a while for it to feed through that this *isn't* an instantaneous messageboard where speed of typing is an issue and that they also have an entire keyboard to use to type with.

Although saying that my first online community was Yahoo! Chat (back in the days when they were testing out the Java version :mistyeyed: ) and apart from a few lol, afk, btw, brb etc etc I always typed things fully (and so did most people....it's been spoiled now by the intergration with Yahoo! IM and voice chat :mad: but back in the day it was as wordy as this place gets at it's worst)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    I do that all the time nowadays and it is really starting to worry me as sometimes when I'm writing a letter or essay I start to devolve into txt speak and start replacing you with u and stuff.
    i write all my texts (the few that i do) in full coherent punctuated english - i dont use text speak myself thank god - my friend wrote half a page in text speak in his gsce english exam a few years ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Because in a lot of cases this is the first forum/online community that they've been apart of (apart from the hideous MSN). They assume that posting here is similar to having an online chat through an instant messenger or having a text message conversation and so use the style of typing/posting that they are used to there. It takes a while for it to feed through that this *isn't* an instantaneous messageboard where speed of typing is an issue and that they also have an entire keyboard to use to type with.

Although saying that my first online community was Yahoo! Chat (back in the days when they were testing out the Java version :mistyeyed: ) and apart from a few lol, afk, btw, brb etc etc I always typed things fully (and so did most people....it's been spoiled now by the intergration with Yahoo! IM and voice chat :mad: but back in the day it was as wordy as this place gets at it's worst)
    beautifully said
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Daveo)
    When I started almost saying lol when someone said something funny IRL was when I turned my back on most acronyms.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    beautifully said
    Iluvatar said it in half the waffle

ReputationRep:

*integration

ReputationRep:
    When I started almost saying lol when someone said something funny IRL was when I turned my back on most acronyms.
    i use 'lol' but what does IRL stand for?

ReputationRep:
    Iluvatar said it in half the waffle
    the waffle gave it substance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Yeah, i occasionally used to do that, but i'm really rigid with myself on it now, and make sure i at least make an attempt to write correctly.

ReputationRep:
    anyone ever used 'AYSOS'? - it came up on University Challenge the other day

ReputationRep:
    Oh GOD!
    I actually do that!
    I never really realised i did that, but i do!
    I use lol all the time, and even things like TTYWITTY!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    i use 'lol' but what does IRL stand for?
    In Real Life

(the other ones I still use are AFAIK As Far As I Know, IMO In My Opinion (never use IMHO because IMO if you think your opinion warrants posting online you're hardly being humble about it), IIRC If I Remember/Recall Correctly and BTW By The Way) I've abandoned ROFL, LMAO, ROFLMAO :rolleyes: , AFK (away from keyboard), BRB (be right back) and the evil LOL

ReputationRep:
    and even things like TTYWITTY!
    QUE?

ReputationRep:
    QUE?
    Talk to you when i talk to you.

Whats QUE?

ReputationRep:
    QUE?
    ya wat?

EDIT: I am the devil again!!!!!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.