Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    No, its fine.
    I'm just being unbearable, as usual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    i once did that in a thread a few months ago - i wrote really violent angry poetry - i had lost it for about 15 mins and everyone was frightened that i was mad
    Well, everyone knows i'm mad, so that wasn't really a problem to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    I hated having random people PM me when I tried chat rooms. It was like being in a bar chatting to a group of people and having a slimey old man try and drag you off for a little one-2-one in the toilets!
    lol - that is pretty bad - but i got chatted up by lads who were confused by my nickname 'coolcatthatwantstochat' = cant men be cool-cats anymore?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    I hated having random people PM me when I tried chat rooms. It was like being in a bar chatting to a group of people and having a slimey old man try and drag you off for a little one-2-one in the toilets!
    Well personally, i like it. Its good, because its like the person actually wants to talk to you particularly, than just generally to a room.
    Admittidly, there are some wierdo's around *raises hand*.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Well i've done worse than just shouting and stuff.
    Once, i was the only person in this room, and i started chatting to myself on there, to see how long it would take before i was bored of it.

A couple of hours later... (well, you get the point)
    I used to be an even worse addict than I am now

Royal Holloway used to have 24 hr access to the computers so I'd regularly spend all night in chat rooms...and then I hooked up with hubby (in a chat room of course :rolleyes: ) and things got much much worse. The urge to call him scooby when we met up IRL was pretty strong for at least a month :0\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Explained that one above - In My (not humble) Opinion
    so you did - thanks PQ

ReputationRep:
    it is very weird chatting to someone on the phone having spoken at length to them on the MSN Messenger or Chat Room - anyway i have to go and pick my sisters from school ... BRB

ReputationRep:
    I used to be an even worse addict than I am now

Royal Holloway used to have 24 hr access to the computers so I'd regularly spend all night in chat rooms...and then I hooked up with hubby (in a chat room of course :rolleyes: ) and things got much much worse. The urge to call him scooby when we met up IRL was pretty strong for at least a month :0\
    I know what you mean.
    I spent whole nights, a couple of years ago, the night before GCSE's and stuff, just chatting all the time.
    It was when IC24 were doing absolutely free calls, no monthly stuff or anything, from 8 to midnight.
    When i took a look at myself, wrapped up in a blanket in the middle of the night, talking to nobody, i realised that i needed to stop.
    Now instead, i'm addicted to this place, which at least means i can get on here enough at college to stop me being on until midnight and stuff.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    lol - that is pretty bad - but i got chatted up by lads who were confused by my nickname 'coolcatthatwantstochat' = cant men be cool-cats anymore?
    hehe I used to confuse the americans with my nicknames
    "Liverbird" they assumed was to do with liver (in an offal sense)
    "ImDeadScouseMe" they assumed was some sort of necrophilia related thing :eek:

In the end I started trying to deliberately freak people out with my nicknames (that was my "HappyGayGuy" period - used to post in pink in the Military Rooms - basically trolling)...and Pencil Queen developed from some daft joke which I can't even remember now...the americans used to assume that I was again a gay man :rolleyes: ...the number of times I was called Pencil D**k I started to pray that someone would think of a more intelligent insult.

After that I had a few along the lines of "BottleGreenSpecs" and "StripiestSocks" but always reverted to PQ

ReputationRep:
    hehe I used to confuse the americans with my nicknames
    "Liverbird" they assumed was to do with liver (in an offal sense)
    "ImDeadScouseMe" they assumed was some sort of necrophilia related thing :eek:

In the end I started trying to deliberately freak people out with my nicknames (that was my "HappyGayGuy" period - used to post in pink in the Military Rooms - basically trolling)...and Pencil Queen developed from some daft joke which I can't even remember now...the americans used to assume that I was again a gay man :rolleyes: ...the number of times I was called Pencil D**k I started to pray that someone would think of a more intelligent insult.

After that I had a few along the lines of "BottleGreenSpecs" and "StripiestSocks" but always reverted to PQ
    Well, americans are confused by shiny stuff, so it isn't too hard (no offense intended. Just a mindless american joke).

I've always used obscure things that people wouldn't have heard of, so they asked about it, and what it was. But when i made a prat of myself i packed up, and chose a different name.

I've been Seiken Denatsu, Rathi Fiend, Azeri Evincar, Turin Turumbar, but now I'm Iluvatar, and happy to be me.

ReputationRep:
    it is very weird chatting to someone on the phone having spoken at length to them on the MSN Messenger or Chat Room - anyway i have to go and pick my sisters from school ... BRB
    I've got to go too.
    TTYWITTY
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    When i took a look at myself, wrapped up in a blanket in the middle of the night, talking to nobody, i realised that i needed to stop.
    Now instead, i'm addicted to this place, which at least means i can get on here enough at college to stop me being on until midnight and stuff.
    That sounds frighteningly familiar.

I feel quite guilty as I introduced 3 of my co-students to chat rooms while I was studying - 2 dropped out (got addicted and didn't do any work), the final one passed his degree but not long after graduation left his long term girlfriend (and remember he was 40 and they'd been together for 5 years) to move in with someone in scotlad - who he married last year...so 2 drop-outs and a break-up on my conscience

I gave up not long after meeting hubby...spending all night in your own room chatting is one thing - spending all night in a communal computer room with the same fellow nerds each night (always speaking to other people online and never to each other) just got to much - I started limiting myself to daytime only, and because most places are pretty dead during the day it was easy to cut down. I always seem to spend more time online whenever I'm feeling depressed though...easier than dealing with the real world

Still I've met some of the most amazing people online - and I find I like the online me far more than the real life me...having to type things rather than have them spew from my mouth means I make more sense and are more concise online (and the amount of waffle I come out with online is tiny in comparison with the amount of waffle I speak outloud).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    I'm talking about sounding coherent, punctuation, spelling, grammar etc.

Why is it that half the newbies tend to not be able to communicate normally or spell whatsoever.
    i know, i cannot stand it when someone starts a thread and talks like they would over a text phone or something, so you can't even understand what they are talking about.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.