How on Earth do some people manage 100% in some exams? Watch

Astudentinneed
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
for example in english, biology, chemistry and maths.

not making a single mistake seems so hard.:confused:

does it just come naturally with past papers or is it all pot luck?
thats_my_poison
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you dont necessarily need full raw marks to get full ums marks. i got full marks in history, law and general studies and 99 in maths. i was really confdent about maths, pretty confident about law, but thought that history had gone abominably and really had no idea about gs. with maths, it was definately a case of past papers tho
michaelbenson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It comes through hard revision, dedication and trawling through every relevant past paper and examiner report
mortderire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
no nt rely,
in 3 out of 4 german papers last year o gt 90/90 obviusl nt 100%

it just comes naturally to some of us
Joshytoohotty
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The best I've managed is 84/90 I think, which was for an English Lit paper.

Also got 108/120 for Law Unit 3 which I was very proud of.

Seriously difficult to get the full 90/90 or 120/120 but I do know people that have done it.
Joshytoohotty
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by usama-ahmed)
no nt rely,

Maybe a bit of modesty will come naturally to you at some point as well!
henryt
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Getting 100% on a paper in UMS, I believe, is getting either the difference between an A and a B grade raw mark, or double that difference (I think it depends on board) above the bottom A grade raw mark.

For example - If a paper was out of 72, and a bottom A grade is 58, and a bottom B grade is 48, you would have to get 68 or above to get scaled up to 100%. Naturally, the raw boundaries will decrease with increasing difficulty, since more people in the country will find the paper difficult.
Pure T
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
People who get 100/100 are just generally talented/ lucky or geeks, its simple. I just did C2 and C1 maths and although i knew everything on it I made a few silly mistakes and didnt notice it was asking what it was and so reckon ive got a B or low A. Tbh it doesnt matter what number it is though, its what letter you get at the end.
Wiseman Johnson
Report 12 years ago
when your talking about 100% are you talking about the raw mark, or the eventual graded mark. because in my music tech i got what was classed as 100% in the graded mark when i got my grades back however from the marks given to my college i actually only got about 97%, a show that the government had lowered the boundaries and therefore it took my overall mark to 100%
Kolya
Badges: 14
Report 12 years ago
Your generation has developed pitiful attention spans. Thank modern television and celebrity culture.

Concentration goes a long way!
Mata
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Wiseman Johnson)
when your talking about 100% are you talking about the raw mark, or the eventual graded mark. because in my music tech i got what was classed as 100% in the graded mark when i got my grades back however from the marks given to my college i actually only got about 97%, a show that the government had lowered the boundaries and therefore it took my overall mark to 100%
That's exactly what happened to me. I got 100% UMS in at least 1 module in each of my 5 subjects and thought, "woah, this does NOT reflect the amount I revised".

When I looked at one of my sets of raw marks, however, I found that I had dropped marks here and there, but they had scaled it up to 100% UMS. I got a couple of full raw marks, but UMS can be misleading.

In something like English... I would figure that if you can write a good amount, present good points, use quotations and most importantly cover all the AO points, then you'll get high marks which could be converted into 100% UMS.
Red Thunder
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
uI got 90/90 in summer 2005 Edexcel Physics unit 1 and 2, and 120/120 in Edexcel Chemistry Unit 3, and 100/100 in 3 all 3 edexcel AS computing units.

This topic of full UMS marks has been the attention of considerable debate. Many people get full UMS although they r pretty sure they had messed up in one way or another in a few parts of the paper (from personal experience!).

Actually, let me detail the methodology used by exam boards for calculation the full UMS marks:

Suppose u sit an exam worth 75 raw marks.

Now assume that the grade boundary for an A is set at 52. Call this is MA.

Now assume that the grade boundary for a B is set at 47. Call this is MB..

The catch out here is that u need to achive twice the difference between the A and B boundaries over an A grade to get full UMS marks. Let me make simple:

In this case the difference between an A and B is of 5 marks. So u need 5*2=10 marks more than an A to get full UMS....i.e. if 52 is an A and 47 is a B, then 62/75 gets u full UMS.

In short, the Mark for full UMS (Call it MF):

MF= MA + 2(MA-MB)

AS Results Summary:
Spoiler:
Show

Physics 294/300 (A) (full UMS in 2 units)

Chemistry 287/300 (A) (full UMS in unit 3)

Mathematics (C1, C2, M1): 288/300 (A)

Computing 1: 300/300 (A) (full UMS in all 3 units)

University Applications:

University of Melbourne
Monash University
University of Sydney
comaEffigy
Report 12 years ago
I've only got 100% on one exam, and that was the Trade Unions module in History that I slept through most of the lessons. :confused:
Although they must have lowered the boundary, mostly because no one can find that topic interesting enough to take in.
bhut
Report 12 years ago
I got 100% in A level Bengali-I didn’t have any syllabus/ had no revision whatsoever/had no books- absolutely NOTHING and I did those 6 hours papers(AS and A2 together in one year) in less than hour. I got the ‘highest’ in the country! They sent me a certificate!
Good for me! I am not a genius but I knew all the stuff coz I am originally from Bengali medium school (from Bangladesh) and my first lingo is Bengali!
How on earth people get 100% in tough subjects? Do they have social life? Or it’s just God gifted thing, with me to get an average grade in tough subjects I have to work it out!
Lykabelle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I got 300/300 in AS level critical thinking and I still can't get over it. I sat the whole 3 hour AS exam in January. I can guarantee you that I didn't get 100% raw marks after we went through the multiple choice questions. I'm not going to say I was really good at critical thinking because honestly I wasn't. I was predicted a B and I thought that was really high because my 6th form has a past record of not doing so well in critical thinking. I think my critical thinking teacher, who hardly turned up to lessons, was more shocked than I was:p:
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I got 300/300 in sociology and 90/90 in one French paper at AS, but as everyone else has said, full UMS marks doesn't necessarily mean full raw marks. I lost 5 raw marks on my sociology coursework, but it was scaled up to full UMS, and I probably lost a few raw marks on each of the exams too. I know I lost at least one raw mark, probably a few, on the French paper. Generally, getting full UMS marks comes from working hard throughout the year, understanding everything, revising well and not having a nasty paper on the day.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by usama-ahmed)
no nt rely,

I wish typing properly came naturally to you as well :rolleyes: Also, why do you have a German flag next to your user name? Are you German/living in Germany? If so, GCSE German couldn't have been too challenging for you, could it? :p:
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by AhmadMujtaba)
MF= MA + 2(MA-MB)

Wow, that actually works...!
Che!
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeh, I got full marks in 2 of French modules last year, 2 of my English and 2 of my Politics. I know I didn't get full raw marks, but this is the great thing about UMS!! Just take advantage of the system!
Stranded
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by AhmadMujtaba)
uI got 90/90 in summer 2005 Edexcel Physics unit 1 and 2, and 120/120 in Edexcel Chemistry Unit 3, and 100/100 in 3 all 3 edexcel AS computing units.

This topic of full UMS marks has been the attention of considerable debate. Many people get full UMS although they r pretty sure they had messed up in one way or another in a few parts of the paper (from personal experience!).

Actually, let me detail the methodology used by exam boards for calculation the full UMS marks:

Suppose u sit an exam worth 75 raw marks.

Now assume that the grade boundary for an A is set at 52. Call this is MA.

Now assume that the grade boundary for a B is set at 47. Call this is MB..

The catch out here is that u need to achive twice the difference between the A and B boundaries over an A grade to get full UMS marks. Let me make simple:

In this case the difference between an A and B is of 5 marks. So u need 5*2=10 marks more than an A to get full UMS....i.e. if 52 is an A and 47 is a B, then 62/75 gets u full UMS.

In short, the Mark for full UMS (Call it MF):

MF= MA + 2(MA-MB)

AS Results Summary:
Spoiler:
Show

Physics 294/300 (A) (full UMS in 2 units)

Chemistry 287/300 (A) (full UMS in unit 3)

Mathematics (C1, C2, M1): 288/300 (A)

Computing 1: 300/300 (A) (full UMS in all 3 units)

University Applications:

University of Melbourne
Monash University
University of Sydney
We're talking about Edexcel here right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise