evaluating different methods for determining a formula Watch

This discussion is closed.
eggfriedrice
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
A2 coursework evaluative last chance.

I know discussion of any questions/answers is prohibited.

The title just isn't giving me much so I was wondering if the chemists of TSR could brain storm some ideas for me to revise? (:
shengoc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by eggfriedrice)

The title just isn't giving me much so I was wondering if the chemists of TSR could brain storm some ideas for me to revise? (:
what are you expected to know, first and foremost?
eggfriedrice
Rep:
?
(Original post by shengoc)
what are you expected to know, first and foremost?
Hmm, well to find a formula the methods I've learnt are titrations, thermal decomposition and precipitation reactions.

I've read up on titrations and thermal decomposition but no idea how precipitation reactions can be used to find a formula, I thought it just helped identify the ions in the solution. :s

Since it's evaluation, I have you evaluate the methodology, what are some general things I can say? I do physics, and for physic tasks we just say "repeat experiments, use more accurate measuring devices" but I'm never too sure with chemistry. :s like how can you heat something more reliably when doing thermal decomposition? Etc
shengoc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hmm, well to find a formula the methods I've learnt are titrations, thermal decomposition and precipitation reactions.

I've read up on titrations and thermal decomposition but no idea how precipitation reactions can be used to find a formula, I thought it just helped identify the ions in the solution. :s

Since it's evaluation, I have you evaluate the methodology, what are some general things I can say? I do physics, and for physic tasks we just say "repeat experiments, use more accurate measuring devices" but I'm never too sure with chemistry. :s like how can you heat something more reliably when doing thermal decomposition? Etc
the same skills work for chemistry. likewise in titrations, you repeat till you get a consistent set of readings, or if they differ by one decimal place after couple of repeated runs, then you take the average to reduce random errors.

a lot of practical course questions are incredibly straight forward and they just require a little bit of critical thinking. it should be things that you can figure out based on what you already know, from my experience.
eggfriedrice
Rep:
?
(Original post by shengoc)
the same skills work for chemistry. likewise in titrations, you repeat till you get a consistent set of readings, or if they differ by one decimal place after couple of repeated runs, then you take the average to reduce random errors.

a lot of practical course questions are incredibly straight forward and they just require a little bit of critical thinking. it should be things that you can figure out based on what you already know, from my experience.
From my experience the answers are always too straight forward or very picky, hence I always drop marks. I'm either thinking too simply or over complicating things ):
FatFerreroRocher
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you had the ISA yet, as I have the same one on Wednesday and I'm a private candidate so I don't really have any teachers to help me, I was just wondering if you could please give me any tips you're allowed to give on what to expect thanks.
Pri0103
Badges: 0
Report 6 years ago

Hiya, I've got my evaluative practical on Saturday last chance to do mine too.

Was wondering if you'd be able to help ?

Thank you
shaz996
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was wondering if anyone had any useful topics that should definitely be revised for this ISA? Thank you
TheDamnTing
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Titrations, thermal decomposition and precipitation reactions.
X
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (11)
9.09%
Disagree (6)
4.96%
Neither agree or disagree (41)
33.88%
Agree (46)
38.02%
Strongly Agree (17)
14.05%

Watched Threads

Latest