Geography and History GCSE Watch

lauren4life
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey, ive chosen my GCSE choices recently Geography, Art, German and ICT but im interested in changing one of my options to history so i can do both geography and history as i enjoy both but im worried about the workload if anyone is doing geography or history or both even what are you studying and whats it like??? thanks
gomg
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do geography and I find it extremely easy, you're very lucky your school allows you to do both geography and history because not a lot of schools do. I suggest doing both, but don't get rid of german
lauren4life
Rep:
?
Yeah not many people are doing both but its possible and i wont be getting rid of German What are you currently studying in Geography??
Imog
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in year 13, but when I did my GCSEs I chose geography, history and art. I really enjoyed both geography and history, they were definitely the two most interesting subjects I did for GCSE.

As for the workload, as far as I remember there was quite a lot of work to do especially with essay writing and memorisation. With history you also need to learn how to analyse sources for the exam, which can be difficult if you're looking at a confusing source, but it's a skill you can learn. For my history controlled assessment we studied the Cold War which is one of the most interesting things I've studied in history, both at GCSE and now at A level. Also, depending on what you study, you might be able to go on trips - at my school there were history trips to France, Germany and Belgium. Unfortunately I wasn't able to go on any of these for various reasons, but everyone who went had a great time.

With geography, some lessons were a little boring - I always preferred physical geography, so some of the human things like population could be a bit tedious, but it depends on what you prefer. There's a lot of stuff to memorise for geography, but as long as you don't let the work get on top of you, you should be able to keep up with it.
lauren4life
Rep:
?
im considering taking both not sure still though but thanks again for your feedback. I know history is very english based alot of writing! but that dosen't bother me that much i know what you mean about geography i didnt like it that much at first but im really enjoying it now plus having good teachers helps haha thanks though:rolleyes:
gomg
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lauren4life)
Yeah not many people are doing both but its possible and i wont be getting rid of German What are you currently studying in Geography??
We have learnt everything and just have the last exam to go, we have covered:

Physical Geog

Rivers and Coasts
Natural Hazards

Human Geog
Population and Settlement
Economic Development

For OCR, they are the 4 themes which you are tested on. I did a 1 hour exam on population and settlement (worth 25%) and will be doing a 1 hour 30 mins exam in June on the other 3 themes (50%) . I also had to do 2 pieces of coursework (25%).

There is about 15 case studies to learn but I really recommend it
gomg
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Also for geography you get to do on field trips to beaches and rivers etc!! My friend even went to Italy!
lauren4life
Rep:
?
Thats seems really interesting and im doing the same board as you OCR, Is the 25% coursework the fieldwork investigation or similiar to and what is that like??
gomg
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thats seems really interesting and im doing the same board as you OCR, Is the 25% coursework the fieldwork investigation or similiar to and what is that like??
There is 2 courseworks which make up the 25%

The first is the fieldwork investigation which is worth 15% and is out of 36 marks. For this I went to a river and we did a lot of different measurements etc.

The second is worth 10% out of 24 marks and is some other thing (don't actually know what it's called) but it's very easy and should be around 2 pages. For this I did some thing about energy use in the UK.

Then your marks are added up so you get ___ out of 60 which gives overall coursework grade. I got 55 which is A* :P
lauren4life
Rep:
?
Haha thanks and well done with your A*, by the way if you dont mind me asking what else did you take for gsce besides geography????
gomg
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Haha thanks and well done with your A*, by the way if you dont mind me asking what else did you take for gsce besides geography????
English Language
iGCSE English (Done - C)
English Literature
Maths (Done - A)
Media (Done - A)
Business
Statistics
Geography
French
Food Tech

And I do BTEC Science and have done the EPQ
yellowcopter
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's not that hard, you'll cope.
lauren4life
Rep:
?
oh right nice choices and thanks @yellow apart from my options i have to do

English language
English literature
Maths
Science
Additional Science
RE

Well im still deciding but thanks for the advise :rolleyes:
yellowcopter
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
oh right nice choices and thanks @yellow apart from my options i have to do

English language
English literature
Maths
Science
Additional Science
RE

Well im still deciding but thanks for the advise :rolleyes:
So you're doing Double English, Double Science, Maths, RE, Geography, History, Art, German and ICT.

I do all the exact same subjects but instead of a language (you did German) I chose to do Design and Technology Graphic Products. Trust me History and Geography together is very easy and fun!
lauren4life
Rep:
?
Yeah the subjects i am doing are double english, double science, maths, RE, Geography, Art, German and ICT at the moment

however i am considering changing one of my options to History

Thanks for the info especially since you are taking similiar subjects i will really look into this now thank you and thanks to everyone else really helpful

Katie97
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I hated geography in years 7-9 but I chose it for GCSE, I don't remember why because I preferred History. It's a great subject though and really interesting. The coursework takes a while but the workload is not bad overall and includes a lot of field trips!

I just saw that you are taking ICT... you do realise you are signing your death wish? so so boring...
lauren4life
Rep:
?
I think everyone has their preferences i like both geography and history, ICT isnt that bad although i agree its not as interesting as other subjects but non the less i appreciate your comments. I woulden be getting rid of Art its my favourite subject
Minerva98
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've taken both geography and history.
In yr9 I did geography and history at the same time.
In yr10 I am now doing just geography, and finishing the course in June.
In yr11 I will finish history.
I have had to put a lot of work into geography, and have completed 50% of it so far (25% A*, 25% B).
I know the course has changed, or is changing, but extreme environments is the hardest and needs the most work. Everything else is general knowledge and common sense really. (You can make lots of facts up)

Good Luck!
mitchellshazia
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in Year 11 and I do both Geography and History. You honestly will have no problem with the workload - you'll find that the amount of work you have to put into GCSEs is exaggerated anyway. Not that you have to do no work, but when I was in Year 9 teachers were always trying to give you a real scare about them, and it isn't really anything to be concerned about. Just take what you like. History is a well-thought-of GCSE as well.

In terms of what they are like, Geography is easy, you just have to understand a few things and learn a few facts to complement them. History is a lot more about writing and making a point, as well as factual knowledge (this is Edexcel Geography and OCR History).
ismailjan3
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do both. History involves you having to remember quite a lot, but it's not too bad. Also, the coursework is usually quite easy, but the actual exams may be difficult. For Geography it's the other way round. Though the coursework may seem easy, you need to make sure you've done a thorough and highly detailed job otherwise you won't do so well. The exam, however, is easy IF you revise properly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise