Ocr A2 Law (criminal): Offical Thread! Watch

This discussion is closed.
*lulu7*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Dave_G03)
I actually agree with you there A theft and a non fatal would be cool im just looking back previous exam problems....

In Jan they had a theft question with a Battery (Knocking over the old lady as she ran out of the shop) and Duress with criminal damage.

I hear criminal damage is unlikely to come up as an Essay?

:tsr2:
no thats theft that is unlikely to come up as essay.... PLEASE let criminal damage, duress, consent and theft dominate crim 2 paper!! ahhh panicking....
Dave_G03
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
im sorry to break it to you but i have jans mark scheme infront of me:

1. In Source 1 [page 3 lines 44-47 Special Study Materials] the authors suggest that "The courts primary task on interpretation is to ascertain and give effect to the meaning of the words used ... "Construction", on the other hand, is the process whereby uncertainties or ambiguities in a Statue are resolved."

Consider in the light of the above the extent to which the use of the literal rule and the golden rule are effective in resolving ambiguites and uncertainties in statutes.
*lulu7*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

1. In Source 1 [page 3 lines 44-47 Special Study Materials] the authors suggest that "The courts primary task on interpretation is to ascertain and give effect to the meaning of the words used ... "Construction", on the other hand, is the process whereby uncertainties or ambiguities in a Statue are resolved."

Consider in the light of the above the extent to which the use of the literal rule and the golden rule are effective in resolving ambiguites and uncertainties in statutes.
easy.. people just ignore the comlicated lexis and misleading jargon and look at what it really is asking.. all that means is adv and disadv of literal and golden rule.. in the simplest of forms...

you have a book full of writing in front of you for synoptic.. words will trigger your memory and trigger you to remember things.. so don't worry about it!!!
Nicci1187
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
I do'nt think insantiy, automatism or intoxication are likely as an essay unless the mean examiners want to trick us! :mad:
Multiplexed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
So, what do you people need to get in the summer to get an A overall?
Nicci1187
Report 12 years ago
I've been really lucky, I can afford to lose 90 marks and still keep my A.
Is intoxication a common law defence?
sonya_p
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

is it jan 2006?
zoea85
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

Yeah like lulu says, I got a bit freaked about that Q when I first saw it but it really just is asking you to go on about the advantages and disadvantages of the literal and golden rules, and cite all the cases to do with them, making sure u mention how far they have 'resolved ambiguities and uncertainties' and how far they haven't. Basically, a quick plan would be:

Introduce the literal rule

say how far it is ineffective at resolving uncertainties and ambiguities (disadvantages)

say how far it is effective (advantages) i.e respects parliament sovereignty, leaves law making for those elected to do the job etc.

Introduce the Golden rule as a more effective alternative

advantages (how has it resolved ambiguities etc)

disadvantages e.g. may give parliament 'a meaning they did not intend' or whatever that quote is...
dilated
Report 12 years ago
no u noobzzz!!!! intoxication is a common law defence,

offences against a person will come up!! FOR THE W1N!!!
SELF DEFENCE WILL B BOSH-T :eek:
Dave_G03
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
IM currently On 250 Marks, which is an AS Level A.
I got a poor Jan result - 44 which would bring me to 294 = A2 Grade E.

Hopefully i can score at least a C in criminal Law 1 this time around (54)
then if it all goes tits up in criminal law 2 i would get an d at least (45) and then at least a C in the synoptic paper (72) Bringin me to 421 - The required B for manchester. Altho i should be able to get a B in the synoptic paper.

Its all about exam tactis now.... The gloves are off....
Nicci1187
Report 12 years ago
Is every1 revising all the evaluation of theft in great detail or do we not think thats likely as an essay?
*lulu7*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nicci1187)
Is every1 revising all the evaluation of theft in great detail or do we not think thats likely as an essay?
nt likely as an esssay,.... but in the problems almost def i reckon.. something about theft must crop up
zoea85
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
[QUOTE=dilated]offences against a person will come up!! FOR THE W1N!!!
/QUOTE]

god i really hope so, I've spent hours on it today!

EDIT: when you look at the past q's is really really should! I know nothings ever for definite though but comeee onn *prays*
Nicci1187
Report 12 years ago
Oh well thats ok then coz we don't need to discuss evaluation in the problems so as long as we know theft we should be ok. Thanks
zoea85
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yes theft is a definite it's always there as a problem Q
Becca_ness
Report 12 years ago
Hey dudes...

Thank god I found this forum. I've been panicking beyond reasonable belief.
Okay, Duress WILL be the essay question. It's that or Insanity, but it's going to be Duress. My teacher is a member of the examining board, believe me. And also, Non-Fatal Offences against the person has to come up.. (Assault and Battery, ABH, GBH, Wounding) and I'd say also Intoxication, like was said earlier, everything but 'Mistake' and 'Self defence'.
... and I agree with the statement who said we're not judges yet. I took a Geography Synoptic paper in Jaunary and I scored an A, with no revision, so I'm desperately praying that this synoptic paper is easy, too.
Crim 1... HELP!?!?!? Have no clue!!!!!!!?!?!
Nicci1187
Report 12 years ago
What makes you think insanity will come up? I thought that was very unlikely as an essay coz it was on the january paper with automatisn and self-defence. Did you mean mistake won't come up as an essay or problem?
Becca_ness
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nicci1187)
What makes you think insanity will come up? I thought that was very unlikely as an essay coz it was on the january paper with automatisn and self-defence. Did you mean mistake won't come up as an essay or problem?
Well thats just what my teacher said, reporting back to us after a meeting. And I don't think Insanity will come up, the essay question will be duress. I've just filled my time making essay plans for that so I'll at least have 50 marks under my belt. Mistake won't come up as either ) I agree wholeheartedly with the person who said 'Self defence' and 'Mistake' wont come up.

Do you have any idea's about Crim 1? I was told to study Provocation, Diminished Responsibility, Voluntary and Involuntary Manslaughter and Causation... its just so much my brains a mess!
sonya_p
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Becca_ness)
Well thats just what my teacher said, reporting back to us after a meeting. And I don't think Insanity will come up, the essay question will be duress. I've just filled my time making essay plans for that so I'll at least have 50 marks under my belt. Mistake won't come up as either ) I agree wholeheartedly with the person who said 'Self defence' and 'Mistake' wont come up.

Do you have any idea's about Crim 1? I was told to study Provocation, Diminished Responsibility, Voluntary and Involuntary Manslaughter and Causation... its just so much my brains a mess!

do u feel duress will come as a joint question with threats, necessity and circumstances? because someone on this thread said circumstances is likely to come.
Nicci1187
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Becca_ness)

Yeah make sure you do all of those really well and revise murder too, like the two types of intention etc. Don't worry about doing strict liability that won't be on coz it was the essay in january as well as 'parties to a crime'. The problems in jan both focused on murder so I'd do a lot of work on Constructive and gross negigent mansl.
Soooo glad it could be duress!!!!! Is that more or less a definate or just a strong prediction?
Shame about mistake tho i really like it lol and thought it mite come up coz its not been on for aaaaaaaaaaaaages!!!!
X

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (441)
37.89%
No - but I will (88)
7.56%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.87%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (555)
47.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise