Ocr A2 Law (criminal): Offical Thread! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Kate29987
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Hey, here's my say

Danny 5876

Strict Liability will NOT turn up in Criminal Law 1. Duress will turn up in Criminal Law 2.
I do agree that Duress is a possibilty but please don't write your predictions as if they are fact. You never know, Strict liability may come up again just to throw us poor student off.

As for the special study

My teacher basically said the same as Soice's,

However, our teacher told us to revise both topics, as the exaimer could quite easily TOUCH upon jud pre. HOWEVER the bulk of the question will be on stat interp, and IF jud pres appears then it will only be a small section of the question!
However I really doubt that anything will come up more than the basic principle.

As for question one
Our teacher told us that when she asked the examiner what else could possibly come up, since there aren't many options, he said that previous questions MIGHT be repeated.

I'm guessing it will be Literal v purposive again.
For Criminal law 2 I'm just revising everything, paying special attention to defences.

Does anyone know if there's ever evaluation on robbery or burglary in crim 2. or whether thats reserved for the special study.

Good luck everyone
kate
soice
Report 12 years ago
Hey Kate.

Our teacher told us that Robbery or Burglarry as an essay is likely to appear at about 0.000001 % of a chance, basically, it wont come up, but dont take it for granted.

Also, i have looked around the forum, and seen that everybody is predicting Duress to appear:confused:

However, in Jan 2005, Duress was a major them to a Problem Question after not being set since Jan 2003, thus it is very rare that it will come up this year as an Essay? Am i mistaken into believing this? Or does anybody else agree with me that because Duress came up last year as a major them to a PQ, that it is unlikely to appear as an Essay this year?? ( dont worry i can take the criticism lol)

Or does anybody else have any predictions for Criminal Law 2 and Special Study

Thankyou all :tsr2:
Kate29987
Report 12 years ago
Or does anybody else agree with me that because Duress came up last year as a major them to a PQ, that it is unlikely to appear as an Essay this year??
You're right. I just looked at my notes, but there's also another reason it probably won't come up. The quite new case of [Husan] 2005, I think it's less than a year old, so it's the teachers discreation whether they teach it or not. Anyway, it completely reformed the law on duress, making it very restictive, also solved a load of the problems we would write in the essay. If they said discuss the law previous to Husan, people who hadn't learnt it would be all befuddled. But if they just said evaluate duress, you'd have 2 very different essays coming out. Plus Husan hasn't be around long enough for acedemics to pick holes in. So, thats why I now think Duress is unlikely. phew

Though it could still be in a PQ, I think, but as it was one not long ago...

Kate
soice
Report 12 years ago
Hi

Totally agree with you Kate!

I have looked at my text books which is in fact the 2005 edition, and there is no mention of the principles from HASAN. My teacher also has said that many colleges in fact do not know about the case of HASAN because it does not appear in text books, thus teachers are unaware of the new principles from this case, such Voluntary association with criminals, immediate threat of violence, evasive action.

Further to this, most of the latest edition text books that are avaible on the net etc, are infact written by exaimer such as "Chris Turner on Criminal Law for OCR" and none of these contain the new principles.

The only way that my teacher knows about the 2005 principles is because he is activitely involved in the law society etc.

SO, it would seem unreasonable that the exaimers would ask questions on stuff that text books (majority of which are written by exaimers) does not contain like the 2005 principles.

The examiners are clearly aware of this problem.

Therefore, leading back to my original post, why would Duress appear as a Essay, then there would be conflicting scripts:confused:

SO does anybody have any new predictions as to the questions, taking into account that Dures is unlikely to appear.

Feel free to express your deep concerns on this forum!!!

P.S Cheers Kate
sonya_p
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hi

Wow a message board to do with ocr law!
By the way I am new on here so i'd like to say a big hi to every1.

I am a little worried about the exams...just dont know what to revise.

How are you guys revising for the synoptic paper? I know its a little daft question but it'll help to get few tips on the best way to solve the problems.

Love ya all
soice
Report 12 years ago
HELLO AGAIN

I have just emailed my teacher, and he has emailed me back.

He has had a look at loads of text books and on interent, and said that it is VERY UNLIKELY that Duress would appear as an essay, because the VERY RECENT changes in the law, that have made virtually ALL text books out of date.

He told me not to worry about the 2005 changes, because he could not find notes on it, that are related to Duress (the case also goes into other crimes!)
and if he could not find notes on it, then exaimers would not expect students to know about the 2005 cases.

Plus my teacher said only learn Duress for Problem Question, if that is, you have spare time, indicating not to worry about it that much!!!

He told me to concentrate on the more certain parts of the course, and especailly defences.

POST WHAT YOU THINK PLL!
Kate29987
Report 12 years ago
How are you guys revising for the synoptic paper?
I'm making sure i know the sources back to front. Making sure I'm confident with robbery and burglary evaluation and question spotting. Do you have the past questions fo June and January? The phillip Allen guide's brilliant and is specifically for the special study. The bit at the front describes what the question will be on, and it's possible to predict various possibilties

get few tips on the best way to solve the problems.
Are you talking about question 4, the problem questions? Just make sure you have a set structure for burglary and robbery scenarios and work through them.

Kate
hannasmith22
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hey my teacher has also guessed at duress coming up as there has been a pattern over the past 5 or so years. Whatever comes up as a scenairo question has come up as a part a question the following exam session, and duress was a scenario in jan so could be quite likely. knowing our luck they will change their system this time round. Are u feeling confident on criminal 3? im not totally dreading that paper
Good luck with your exams
hannasmith22
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Danny5876)
I agree intoxication would be a much easier question dues to the public policy arguments. Duress has been an essay question before, in 2003. There are plenty of things to say about dures such as the arguments surrounding the issue of duress is not a defence to murder etc.
duress- we did a mock question a couple of weeks ago regarding the hero side of duress how you only play hero in attmp murder or murder due to the lack of the defence
soice
Report 12 years ago
Hey peeps!

Decided that im going to phuck Criminal law 2, and just totally revise for my special study, coz i can get waaay more marks for my special study then i could get for Criminal 2 for half the effort coz its on robbery/burlgary, and criminal law 2 is endless number of topics.

Anybody got predictions for special study questions and Criminal law 2??
Kate29987
Report 12 years ago
Hey, Hannahsmith22
Are u feeling confident on criminal 3
Criminal 3- is that the synoptic paper.

And look at the previous posts, some of us think duress is unlikely because of recent changes in law. But then again if there is a structure which the exam board follow, they may attempt a question anyway. If they do, they really are sadistic mooses!

Kate
Kate29987
Report 12 years ago
Predictions for special study questions

Q1- I think it will be Literal v purposive like last June. It was Literal and Golden in Jan, and it is definitely on statutory interpretation. What else could it be? Could it be extrinic aids or something, but thats only briefly mentioned in the source. Any ideas?

Q2- is a digest of one of the cases, stating how it develops the law. Walkington and Hale have already come up which leaves 11 other cases, which we should Know all about for crim 2 anyway.

Q.3 is on a recent development in the law. Already done Collins and Dawson. I thought it might be on corcoran v Anderton or Clouden. Not sure on this one...ideas?

There my ramblings, so sorry they don't make sense.
Kate-
sonya_p
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hi

thanks kate. well i have been plainly revising from criminal law by diane roe. that was the one our teacher reccomended to us but i dont find it very good for synoptic paper.

sorry for badly wording the previous post. i was just talking about synoptic paper questions in general and how you're revising for it. i guess getting that book would be a good start for me.

sonya
Kate29987
Report 12 years ago
i guess getting that book would be a good start for me.
It's really good, has examples of answers from last year paper, goes through all the sources picking out a01 and a02 and runs through the basic outline of the course. It written by the examiners so it all good stuff. I ordered mine using a form, and it took about a week. on the internet i think it's 4 weeks, so it may be better if you have a main book store near you, or trying to order it into that book store. I got my form from Modern history review.

Kate
sonya_p
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
just want to confirm before i go and buy the book. is this the book?

http://www.philipallan.co.uk/content.aspx?PAGE=PROD612:
Kate29987
Report 12 years ago
yep thats the one
sonya_p
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
thanks kate! i had no clue where to beging with the synoptic paper. done alota revising on criminal law 2 paper. how is your revision coming along?
Kate29987
Report 12 years ago
I'm getting there, just trying to remember all those damn cases and dates. argh...painful business really.

Good luck with it...I was stuck on the synoptic paper too and this book was a godsend.

Kate
sonya_p
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yeh cases do my head in 2... they take forever!

Good luck 2 u 2! i am sure u'll do well.
zoea85
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It shouldn't take 4 weeks to get the phillip Allen book!I got mine from the phillip allan website http://www.philipallan.co.uk/content.aspx?PAGE=PROD612:
and it said it would take up to 7 days but it actually only took 2 days! Get it from the site, don't bother with the shops, they'll take ages if they have to order it.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (490)
37.72%
No - but I will (100)
7.7%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (621)
47.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise