Ocr A2 Law (criminal): Offical Thread! Watch

This discussion is closed.
ebarrett4
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ebarrett4)
my law teacher has predicted that it will be duress, automatism,consent or mistake! defo not insanity tht came up last year.
and the fact tht duress has been updated is irrelevant because were not required to know major changes for 2 years.so its still got a very good chance.
sonya_p
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ebarrett4)
and the fact tht duress has been updated is irrelevant because were not required to know major changes for 2 years.so its still got a very good chance.

wohooo wohoo!!! another person who thinks duress will come up
we cant all be wrong!!!!!
dilated
Report 12 years ago
for criminal law 1 no ones really sure on the section a questions that may appear. section B will always be a murder + manslaughter question however voluntary manslaugter (provocation, diminished responsibility) came up in june so they will probably do an involuntary manslaughter question this year (constructive, gross negligence, reckless, corporate).
Ben_Stephenson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
WIth regard to all your queries around non-fatals; I completely disagree, don't start from the bottom. How the police work is that they try and fit the crime to the highest possible (i.e. S.18) and then work down; Tony Storey actually recommended this. And also about whether it is GBH or ABH, all you have to do is consider both of them, and then say which one is likely, without definitely say it is on of the two, the key aspect is to consider all of the possible offences.
Nicci1187
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sonya_p)
ok...im getting really irritated now! im doing some past papers. where i think its ABH, it turns out to GBH s20 or s18.

if some one hits the person in the face and that person bleeds, is it ABH? or GBH?

you will bleed if there is a breakage of the skin right? but in the book its ABH. im getting confused
Heres a tip - when you are assessing a problem question with the non-fatals always start with the most serious GBH s18 and if you thank its a bit far fetched or pros. would find it difficult to prove intent move down to GBH s20 and if it seems that the injury still isn't serious enough then you can fall back on ABH but always start with most serious!!
Nicci1187
Report 12 years ago
If you're unsure in the exam whether ita GBH or ABH always consider both and give the actus reus and mens rea for both, applying them to the situation. Therefore examiners have to give you marks because you've demonstrated you know the difficulty in assessing the level of injury in the offences, as the statute doesn't provide definitions of what will fit where. There is only the guidelines of the Law Commission. So if you only consider 1 or the other and you get it wrong you won't get marks! CONSIDER BOTH!!
Nicci1187
Report 12 years ago
an Ben I've just noticed u've already said all that lol! Ah well, 2 minds are better than 1!
Nicci1187
Report 12 years ago
Can anyone tell me the facts of Palmer v R? - the self-defence case?thanks xx
Ben_Stephenson
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
R v Palmer (1971);
Concerned with ''no need to retreat'' (confirmed in Bird 1985).
Judge in Palmer confirmed that;
'there are no prescribed words which must be employed in or adopted in a summing up'
Also stated that the court had gone too far in Julien 1969 when the said that the defendant must demonstrate a desire not to fight.
This was not consistant with the rule that a person can use force, not merely to counter an attack, but also to ward off an attack honestly and reasonably believed to be imminent.
*lulu7*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nicci1187)
If you're unsure in the exam whether ita GBH or ABH always consider both and give the actus reus and mens rea for both, applying them to the situation. Therefore examiners have to give you marks because you've demonstrated you know the difficulty in assessing the level of injury in the offences, as the statute doesn't provide definitions of what will fit where. There is only the guidelines of the Law Commission. So if you only consider 1 or the other and you get it wrong you won't get marks! CONSIDER BOTH!!
yeh that is all part of your AO2 guys! if you mention both of them.. how can you go wrong.. as your showing your ability to asses, evaluate and consider how it could be either...
Na0mi
Report 12 years ago
which of the defences are most important to revise? ive convered them all, but wondered which were best to go over again?

anybody go any tips on how to remember all the cases and key facts, for all areas of the exams?? have serious memory problems!!
zoea85
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Na0mi)
which of the defences are most important to revise? ive convered them all, but wondered which were best to go over again?

anybody go any tips on how to remember all the cases and key facts, for all areas of the exams?? have serious memory problems!!
At the moment I am transferring all my cases on to small coloured cards, with a different colour for each topic. E.g. orange for duress, green for non fatals, red for theft, purple for intoxication, blue for insanity and so on and putting just the name and one word to do with what the case is about and sticking them all over my kitchen wall with bluetack as I seem to spend all my time at my kitchen table revising and if I'm not revising on it I'm eating breakfast or dinner on it! I think that will make me remember more!
Nicci1187
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Na0mi)

If you've covered all defences and know basic points of all of them thats thats enough for if they come up in the problems.
If I were you tho I'd focus a lot on duress and mistake learning all the evalution and reforms coz i think they are the most likely ones to be an essay!
sonya_p
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you've covered all defences and know basic points of all of them thats thats enough for if they come up in the problems.
If I were you tho I'd focus a lot on duress and mistake learning all the evalution and reforms coz i think they are the most likely ones to be an essay!
dont say mistake!
i havent revised that yet!
:eek:
Na0mi
Report 12 years ago
ok thanks. i'll try doing that.

grrr cant wait till this is all over!!
Nicci1187
Report 12 years ago
dont say mistake!
i havent revised that yet!
:eek:
aw sorry lol. It's up to each person really and how they feel. I've revised using mark schemes and past papers and noticed that mistake can be put on as an essay but hasn't been for 3 years so theres a possibility of it coming up. I've revised 4 essays word for word that i think could be on the paper but if u don't wanna bother learning it in deatail, as long as you know everything else ul be fine! If it helps tho its really easy, mainly about links with other defences!
sonya_p
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
aw sorry lol. It's up to each person really and how they feel. I've revised using mark schemes and past papers and noticed that mistake can be put on as an essay but hasn't been for 3 years so theres a possibility of it coming up. I've revised 4 essays word for word that i think could be on the paper but if u don't wanna bother learning it in deatail, as long as you know everything else ul be fine! If it helps tho its really easy, mainly about links with other defences!

hehe its ok.

actually i have an essay written up for mistake which I got an A for. It is veryy long lol ill just extract information from it.
Multiplexed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, this time wednesday. All of this will be over. Muahaha....
Nicci1187
Report 12 years ago
hehe its ok.

actually i have an essay written up for mistake which I got an A for. It is veryy long lol ill just extract information from it.
mines the same lol, 4 pages on mistake!!
sonya_p
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hehe! i also have 4 pages...back to front...hand written! i'll classify it as 8 really lol
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.61%
No - but I will (46)
6.68%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.4%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (326)
47.31%

Watched Threads