Ocr A2 Law (criminal): Offical Thread! Watch

This discussion is closed.
soice
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
I agree with you Kate!

The Question 1 on the special Study paper will be two methods of interpretation, i think that Golden v Literal will appear.

As to aids to interpretation, my teacher said that it is extremely unlikely that they will appear, because their is no significant mention of them in the Source. BUT he says that if they do appear, they will only be a tiny part of the overall question.

My teacher attended a meeting, and the exaimers told him how disapointed they are with students not knowing the methods of interpretation, and how students get erm mixed up!

So im just going to revise like mad, the literal, golden and purposive methods to interpretation.

Good luck All
zoea85
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I wish they actually said 'compare the literal and golden rules of interpretation' but they never do, they give some big long confusing quote and I never know where to go with it! Can anyone give an example of a question title that would be asking us to compare rules? Thanks x!!
Danny5876
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The quote in my opinion is there to focus your answer

I'm not stating predictions as fact as they are just...predictions.

Regarding the duress issue on criminal law 2 is that I think it's highly possible for duress to appear as an essay question. Although some of you are saying that it won't due to Hasan (2005) it is still possible as there is a discussioen about that case and the fact that it overruled Baker and Ward. Also there is an academic review of the case in one of the issues of Criminal Law Review. Furthermore a criticism of that particular case is the effect it might have to victims of domesic violence as they know by staying with their abusive partners that theymay be subjected to doing unlawful acts.

But of course the best thing anyone can do on this unit is revise everything. Learning the property offences well will obviously help you regarding the synoptic unit of which in my opinion is a nuisance.

I've just ordered the synoptic revsion guide so thanks to the person who advertised it. Oh another thing I apologise to the person who I kept urging to revise judicial precedent. I was only going on what my law teacher said and what Source 1 contained.
Kate29987
Report 12 years ago
Danny5876

Although some of you are saying that it won't due to Hasan (2005) it is still possible as there is a discussioen about that case and the fact that it overruled Baker and Ward. Also there is an academic review of the case in one of the issues of Criminal Law Review.
You're right to say it could still come up, but because the case is less than a year old, examiners are not allowed to mark you down because you don't know it. And becase Hasan changes the law quite substanitally, it seems unlikely they would have a question that would generate two conflicting essays depended on if you've been taught the case.

There was a similar situation with R v G I think.

I might just forget Hasan and just learn the old law and then comment at the end about [Hasan] bringing various changes.

kate
sonya_p
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ok this is getting confusing now. some think duress will come on and some think it will not.

i am revising it anyways just to be on the safe side. As a matter of fact, i really dont think these exams can be predicted. if it was something like legal personnal then you can make predictions because of the vast choice of questions but on this exam its just so limited. 2 me every topic is linked.
Sara a
Report 12 years ago
OMG! Im soooooo glad i found dis thread but its kinda confusin nd i duno wer 2 start! Is it ryt dat mistake and insanity prob wont *** up on Section A?? Ders just way 2 much stuf 2 revise! Nd as for d synoptic paper iv got no clue at all! :confused: :confused: We avnt evn gone thru it once in class! So i realy av no idea wot its bout! Pleas HELP cos ryt nw i tink im gona fail nd dat wont b gud... not at all :mad: :mad: :mad:
soice
Report 12 years ago
Hey Sara.

I know EXACTLY how you feel, because unluckily (is that a word :confused: ) for me i am also taking the syte exams.

Predictions are are basically predictions, some people gamble and only reivse what they'l think come up, some people reivse everything to be on the safe side. Some people do well, some people fail.

I think that there is too much revise. I know all the old biffers are sayin "well A-levels are getting easier" but there jst totally wrong.

I read all of the syntopic pink booklet, and the best thing to do is to use a dictonary to look up confusing words.

The way that i revise law is to visualise all of the cases, and link it to my own experiances, like the case of HARDMAN in criminal damage, i try to see a tough bloke in my mind, and this way i remember all of the cases.

Think of it this way, ive read a lot of post/threads and all my m8s find law hard. The grade boundaries are set to according how well all of us lot do, so if we find the exam hard, then they will lower the boundary!

Keep posting your predictions people!!!

:tsr2:
Nicci1187
Report 12 years ago
Hi everyone!
I'm doing OCR law too and having so much trouble in predicting what might be on these papers but I know for definate that Hale came up as the synoptic case last year. The teachers at my college think it could possibly be the Collins case but who knows?!
Also last years paper was an essay on intoxication and also self defence in relation to non fatals. I've been looking through all past papers and i agree that duress is a possibility but the reforms of the non-fatal offences is a really popular one with examiners and it hasn't come up for 2 years so that may be a possibility. I think inoxication and self-defence are really unlikely except there may be elements of them in the problems.
GOOD LUCK!!!
Dave_G03
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Cant be having the most important thread of my summer gathering dust!
*Bump*

Hows your revision going...

I went to a Criminal Law 1 revision class at college on Wednesday on of our law teachers seems to think that A Mens Rea question is due (Intention etc) he seems to think they could ask a new question on issues like Causation i quote 'Causation would make a nice little question' ive got a sheet down stairs with his gambles on - he said for the risk takers only! One of them has got to come up tho to be fair looking through past papers they have exhausted SL questions.
zoea85
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Dave_G03)
Cant be having the most important thread of my summer gathering dust!
*Bump.
Too right, I agree!

Not done much revision for law Law is my last exam so have kind of been tied up with the subjects before it, am finding it pretty difficult havign to revise for so many subjects all at once!

I went into college today for some help and mentioned duress and non fatal offences to my teacher and she seemed to agree that they could be very possible as Section A questions, shes not one of your prediction types though, so finished with a 'but anythingsss possible anything can come up. You can't predict criminal law 2' She said that the fact that duress has been changed by that case wouldn't matter though because of the not having to know anything within a year of our exam rule. She didn't seem to think the fact that it may have changed the law so much that answers would be irrelevant was an issue...

Oh yeah golden v literal came up in Jan 06 for the special study cos she gave me the past paper for that so I guess literal v golden unlikely for this year. Could be literal v mischief maybe?

We should do some special study plans on here or something because everyone seems to be dreading that exam! Could be helpful to do answers for Q2 on the cases cos they're only short and it could save time if we use eachother's answers! It's an idea anyway!
Dave_G03
Rep:
?
well ive got a criminal law 2 revision class at 9.30 so ill mention duress to my teacher....

Regarding module 6 - im really not that botherd about it (not wanting to sound big headed) but compared to criminal law 1 & 2 it seems pretty 'generic' and easier to predict what might come up than the other 2.

With it being a synoptic module as well it should be easy to get marks because anything you mention is relevant. But then again we'll only know how hard or easy it is on the 21st (the day after my birthday!)
Danny5876
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
How is everybody revising for the synoptic unit?
soice
Report 12 years ago
Hey

Doing alright. Ive finished revising for my Criminal Law 2 paper, and going to finish all the stuff for the synaptic paper. Just going to revise the four methods to interpretation, i think thats all they can test upon? coz ive got to revise my other subjects that i havent even started on erm n ive got the exams next week

What did your teacher say about Duress and Assualts coming up as an essay Dave??????

Cheers!
sonya_p
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hi

iv managed to get the collins revision guide but the only confusing thing is that it is focussing plainly on statutory interpretation :confused: and nothing to do withh judicial precedent.

i was told that judicial precedent is also a possibility.
im really confused if i should revise it or not.
Dave_G03
Rep:
?
Well im sorry to say the law teacher that was doin the revision class wasnt much help!

She's one of those teachers that doesnt predict exams.
However she did say that Theft is highly unlikely to come up as a Section A question. This is cos the examiner said at the last meeting he wasnt going to test theft in Module 5 as an Essay cos students keep gettng it wrong. However the only problem with this is he never said when - knowing my luck its more likely to be after our exam.

With that in mind i reckon there will be a choice between a defence and OAPA reform essay's with Theft being examined in the problem questions. I doubt that robbery or burglary will come up as these are assesed in The Synoptic module. Its also worth baring in mind every defence you revise to revise the defence of mistake along with it, cos all defences can be used along with the defence of mistake. Mistake will not come up on its own - its always X Defence with mistake. IE If we got this question:
Critically consider the current Law on Slef Defence.
You would write your essay:
Description of the Defence with definition and relevant case law
Add how the defence of Mistake can be used with the defence
and then Evaluate the law with suggested reforms.
Conclude using the question.
Full marks lol

Im waffeling now cos im bored on a friday night with nothing to do.

Ta
Nicci1187
Report 12 years ago
Hey everyone i've got some news that might be useful. I went to a revision class at my college on friday and my teacher had been to a conference with the examiners that have written our paper for criminal law 2 and apparently they told her they are putting essay evaluation questions about theft anymore because nobody does them and when they do they're always wrong. They didn't specify whether it would be our exam or next years which is the only downside but my teacher said the examiners had 'that look' when they told her. Don't take my word for it because it may come up but I'm not revising it!
Sara a
Report 12 years ago
Hey evry1!!! Iv dun hardly ne revision 4 law cos iv bin so busy wit evrythn else & nw im startn 2 panic! Im a bit of a risk taker so i was just wonderin if ne1 has ne gud predicitions 4 criminal law 2?? :confused: I cant b d only risk taker out der!! Im not bein lazy but der is just way 2 much 2 revise & i just avnt got time! Ne suggestions? Tanx!
Danny5876
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There are so much to learn for Criminal Law 2! Not started synoptic, i'm starting that on Monday (alongside my History synoptic unit) for an hour each day, but mainly focusing on Criminal Law 2.
sonya_p
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i wana cry...there is abosultely tooo much 2 do mannn!!
hatin criminal law 2 at the mo..! too many cases to memorise.
Sara a
Report 12 years ago
I no xactly wot u mean! Way 2 many cases! I didnt realy learn many cases 4 crim law 1 xam so im gona do d same agen 4 crim law 2! Hopefuly il get sum marks 4 knowin d facts! But ryt nw i dont tink im evn gona b able 2 learn d facts! Probably gona cram most of my revision in2 nxt sunday! Not a gud idea but i got loadza othr xams dis wk so dont av time!!! Nd as 4 synoptic, iv lookd at it once! Realy tink im gona fail law dis yr...
X

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (441)
37.89%
No - but I will (88)
7.56%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.87%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (555)
47.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise