HIV Scare Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I decided to post this on here as I don't know where else to turn to for help or advice or anything else that I may need to be told. I had unprotected sex about a year ago with a guy and afterwards I was told by a few people that he was supposed to be HIV positive. I was scared but after a while I figured it was just a rumour and that I had nothing to worry about. I read that people with HIV get colds and then can't get rid of them so when I got a cold and managed to get rid of it, it put my mind at ease . I know I should have went to get a STI check but I kept backing out of it.
Now, one of my mates has told me that he was talking to the guy recently and he was talking about it and although he can't remember the conversation, he's sure it was something to do with him having HIV. Now I'm panicking again and I'm still way too scared to go get a check up because I am scared of what will come up in the results. Would I have known by now (after a year) if I had HIV :confused: ? I'm so confused just now. So advice pleaseeee.
Anonymous #2
Report 12 years ago
You really need to go and have a test asap. The HIV virus can lie dormant for years, without developing any symptoms. Sorry if this scares you, but you should go and get tested, thats the only way you'll be able to put your mind at rest. And did you only have sex just the once with this guy? Risk of transmission through one time is relatively low, so if it was just the once it is likely you will be ok.
Anonymous #1
Yeah, it was just the once. I really really want to get a test done but I'm just so scared of the results. I guess I'm going to have to just be brave and get it over with though. :|
anjimcflanji
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well the good news is that after 6 months you can get a test and a year well you can most certainly go and get one. Colds...well they don't mean much either way as your immune system may be fine at present or you may not have it. As scary and horrid as it is please please please please go and get a test. That way you'll either know one way or the other. If you do have it hopefullly it will be the kind that can be treated and if you don't have it then you'll have less stress. See if you an get a friend to go with you for support. This is the only way to find out. good luck
Bambi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Generally when you contract HIV you do develop a cold about a week after and then it goes. You should definately get checked out asap as if you do have it you need to start treatment now. No you wouldn't know about it probably after only a year. Lots of people go years without knowing. When you contract it it destroys you CD4+ Tcells which you need to fight infections which is why it is harder for infected individuals to fight infections. Your body does however make more CD4+ Tcells which is how people live with it for years as the body fights back and they don't feel ill at all. Eventually though your levels drop too low and you develop opportunistic infections but you can live with it symptom free for decades. There are different strains and people respond differently to it so some people may get sick quicker than others.

You could easily be fine, lots of people are exposed on multiple occassions and don't contract it and there is also a genetic mutation which makes you completely immune.
edd_85
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For gods sake get a check up.

If your fine it'll put your mind at rest, if not then you'll get on the treatment/anti-retrovirals and get on with your life.

I dont know too much about hiv but im sure the longer your infected without treatment the worse it will affect your body as your immune system probably gets weaker.

As for whether you'd know by now, i dont know, there are no particular symptoms and people can have hiv for a long time before it develops into aids, even without treatment.
Bambi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You will be offered counselling before they will test you by the way and talk through everything with you. If you have any specific questions I may be able to help as I have an Immunology degree so this is my area.
rosetinted
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Get a f**king check-up. Seriously. There is no point in torturing yourself by imagining you have it so you have to know for certain.

If, God forbid, you were to get bad news then at least you'd be able to start treating it straight away. Closing your eyes to it will never make a problem better.

Good luck and get a repeat check-up in a few months to be sure.
Bambi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You wont need a repeat check up in a few months, a year is more than enough for a detectable viral load to develop, if you are clear now, you are clear.
rosetinted
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
May not necessarily need one, but I'd want to be 100% sure myself. My mind wouldn't rest totally easy til then.
Anonymous #3
Report 12 years ago
As said, even if you have sex with somebody with HIV you might not contract it, couples with HIV+ positive partners have on occasion practiced unsafe sex for years without the other partner contracting the disease.

I know how you feel about the whole getting tested thing, it does scare the crap out of you, not the test, but what the results could be, right? You feel that HIV is like a death sentence and your life would be over if you got it?

Well, think of it like this, if you do have it, think of how many people you could be infecting(if you're having unprotected sex?) and if you can start treatment sooner it may delay symptoms or extend your life, it'll also put your mind at rest, because until you do get the test you will be worried sick and always thinking about it.
Bambi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by rosetinted)
May not necessarily need one, but I'd want to be 100% sure myself. My mind wouldn't rest totally easy til then.
When you have HIV test you normally have one straight away and again at 6 months as by then if you have it they will definately be able to tell, a test after a year would therefore definately show it. There is no need to keep being tested and putting yourself through that, with that thinking you should go on getting tested forever or after every time you have sex. A test now would definately tell you.
Anonymous #1
Thanks everyone. You've helped me out a lot with information. It's strangely calmed me down a bit. I'll go for a check up as soon as I can.
benisright
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
dont have unprotected sex with people you dont know.

****ing hell. you havent got HIV. 1 in a 1000 people get HIV from sex. FACT
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Don't confuse statistics with facts. For all you know, 1 in 1000 people could be having sex with other HIV-infected people. It's nice to be calm but don't be so calm you think nothing can possibly happen to you, just in case.
benisright
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I just think theres no point in being a hypochondriac. Its not a, have sex with a HIV person and get HIV. There is a 'risk' of getting HIV. A low risk in fact.

It wasnt a statistic.
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd say anything starting "1 in..." was a statistic. I see what you're saying but the risk's not so small it should be ignored. Being a hypochondriac is bad but assuming the problem will never happen to you is worse, just in case it ever does.
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's low risk, yes (though if the rumours are true about this man having HIV, the risks are upped significantly). But she may as well go for a check up, no? If there's unprotected sex going on, a check up for other, much more common, STIs wouldn't go amiss, and an HIV test can be done there too.

Please don't claim 100% that someone does or doesn't have something in H&R. Going to the doctor is the only way to know for sure, no matter how likely or unlikely.

The OP should be reassured that it is less likely than she seems to think, but a chack up never hurt anyone.
benisright
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I called her an idiot for having unprotected sex and said that its she hasnt got HIV as an opinion.

However, as shes worried, simply because of that she has to go for a check up.

The 1 in ... wasnt a statistic. I developed it from 'wikipedia' of all places that said, a scientific estimation that per 10,000 exposures to HIV via Penis into your vaginal area, you would get 10 infections. I found that amazing to be honest, id always thought 70-80% likely to get it...just naturally. But 0.1%!? Mental.

Oh and needles, your 90% likely to get it...
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by benisright)
I called her an idiot for having unprotected sex and said that its she hasnt got HIV as an opinion.
(Original post by benisright)
****ing hell. you havent got HIV.

Quite.

Like I said, the more common STIs that she might have picked up are reason enough alone in my eyes to go for a check up anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (356)
37.63%
No - but I will (74)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (450)
47.57%

Watched Threads