HIV Scare Watch

generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dogtanian)
Please don't claim 100% that someone does or doesn't have something in H&R. Going to the doctor is the only way to know for sure, no matter how likely or unlikely.

The OP should be reassured that it is less likely than she seems to think, but a chack up never hurt anyone.
Then please try not to tell me how to handle human conversation - I wasn't saying the OP definitely had HIV, I really don't think my opinion on the matter is that controversial (and if people don't like it they're free not to listen to it). It was a simple counterargument, I wasn't even replying to her. I was saying it's better to believe you probably do have it and get it checked out and find you're wrong than to think there's no way you can have it, not get it checked out and find out 5 years later you were wrong. I wasn't passing judgement on whether she had it or not. Just that saying "****ing hell, you haven't got HIV" is not helpful in my opinion.
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
First off, I wasn't referring to you with that request.

Secondly, I was pointing out an important rule of the H&R forums, not telling people something because I think I'm right and important and that's that.
Bambi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The risk is not that small at all, wikipedia, are you joking? Any random who knows nothing about anything can add to it, try reading some journals and you will come up with some very different statistics.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Get a check up! In the mean time you could be passing it on to other people!!
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bambi)
The risk is not that small at all, wikipedia, are you joking? Any random who knows nothing about anything can add to it, try reading some journals and you will come up with some very different statistics.
He probably didn't read the "scientific estimation" and has absolutely no idea how they got the statistics (well, it would be interesting to know how - wouldn't it? lol)...

but it it's on wikipaedia (which incidentally is not even edited :rolleyes:) so next time you see a "fact"... think about it first... 3 out of every 2 people agreed... fact!
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dogtanian)
First off, I wasn't referring to you with that request.

Secondly, I was pointing out an important rule of the H&R forums, not telling people something because I think I'm right and important and that's that.
Well, sorry if you didn't mean me, because it did look that way... so my comments probably don't apply if you didn't anyway.
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I can see now why you think it looks like I was addressing you, but I wasn't, honest!

No, it was the person who outright stated that she doesn't have HIV. Very dodgy ground in H&R...
lukeitfc
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd get a test, I know now they can do instant finger prick tests, my dad's clinic's been piloting them for a while now. And although you have to take another full test to make sure, it saves you worrying about the result
chamelean75
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
get the test!!!!!!!!!! Even if you have it, if you start the drugs early, your prognosis should be better unless you have a very aggressive version of HIV. Yes there are different strains of HIV and some progress to AIDS faster than others.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed