I need to live a bit more. Too naive.. Watch

Bitmap
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I envy people who have stories to tell, and can talk about a variety of subjects. I think I'm so rooted in my interests that I've ignored everything else, and it's frustrating that I never really have an opinion on anything outside of my hobbies (TV, etc.). I can never hold a conversation with someone as when someone brings up a topic I can never really expand on it.

I don't know really, I'm only a teenager but I think I'm too naive about things. I think I want to step out of my comfort zone and experience a bit more.

Does anyone know what I mean?
..anna..
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
awww, no one has replied so i will!

i know what you mean, but when you dont know, ask and then you will!
its a great way to join a convo and maintain it!

when you on the pc, have a look on a few websites to keep up to date with things, maybe bbc.. just so you know the general jist of things..

then you can join in more convosations, learn things from others and teach others things about your interests....

hope that makes sense!!
xxx
Echelon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bitmap)
I envy people who have stories to tell, and can talk about a variety of subjects. I think I'm so rooted in my interests that I've ignored everything else, and it's frustrating that I never really have an opinion on anything outside of my hobbies (TV, etc.). I can never hold a conversation with someone as when someone brings up a topic I can never really expand on it.

I don't know really, I'm only a teenager but I think I'm too naive about things. I think I want to step out of my comfort zone and experience a bit more.

I'm sure you do have stories to tell. Its just that to you they seem obvious, just part of your daily life and not stories at all.

If you really want to step out of your comfort zone then go for it. No-one is going to stop you. It may well do you good. Go and do something you have never thought about doing before, or maybe have but have never had the guts to.

Maybe you can learn to be more opinionated. Something like a forum such as this is good for that. You can express an opinion on anything and everything!
Johnny 5
Badges: 11
Report 12 years ago
Sorry old chap, but "TV" really doesn't count as a hobby.
Timeslikethese
Badges:
Report 12 years ago
Acquaint yourself with current affairs, that's always important. If yu want to get out more, do.
JitsuCol
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Life is generally not very interesting. Some people can make good conversation out of it though! At least my pre-Uni life wasn't very interesting. Now my Uni life is mainly complaining about finance/coursework/boring things that friends seem to share an interest in.

You could make more friends by getting out there and doing things. Or...you might scare them away with your new interest in interests...
Luminescience
Report 12 years ago
Two words: The Guardian.
Bitmap
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
Sorry old chap, but "TV" really doesn't count as a hobby.
Maybe it doesn't, but I generally meant "interests" when I said hobbies.

Thanks for your replies.

The fact that I am planning to "become less naive" is odd in itself, surely? Isn't it supposed to be something that occurs naturally, as I mature? I dunno.
toipot2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Keeping up with current affairs is good, as is wikipedia

I spend ages on there looking at completely random things, its addictive!
Started off looking for the legal system of quebec yesterday and ended up on Lord Nelson

Lots of things to discuss!

TV is a bit of a conversation killer though, watching too much of it makes people very boring indeed. Really what your after is a greater base of knowlege, youve just got to get into the mindset of picking up bits and pieces of information that you come across. Maybe try taking up some really interesting hobbies that'll get people talking.

But remember, you have to find things that you really enjoy, or you wont gather that depth of experience.
Echelon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Maybe it doesn't, but I generally meant "interests" when I said hobbies.

Thanks for your replies.

The fact that I am planning to "become less naive" is odd in itself, surely? Isn't it supposed to be something that occurs naturally, as I mature? I dunno.
Well I don't think naive is quite the right word. naive implies that you have too simple an understanding of the world. In fact it is more that you want to become more informed about the world around you, and the only way that can happen is to make it happen.
Stick Man
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If this were in Chat, every reply would have included a synonym for "get drunk innit".
by-torslayshisfoe
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

So?

Simply LIVE, if you want life experience or wisdom.
M'Lady
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm not the brightest button in the box when it comes to current affairs and politics, so all I do is ask questions. I don't care how stupid people think I am, it maintains conversation, people feel that you are interested in them and I find out something new at the same time.
NickNack
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
naivety is the greatest excuse invented, im always bein called naive but personally i dont really care, and like u said (and like a guardian poster also said on the tube one day), "as u grow up, u grow wiser, u grow more mature and you also shrink a bit".

enjoy naivety while it lasts and dont worry about being slightly quieter than everyone else. itll justs add another un-needed stress to life - and how old do u mean when u say "teenager"?
slackerbeeatch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
try something new and random. take up salsa, start capoeira, learn to knit. pick something you would never normally do, and try it. if you dont like it then dont do it again, but at least you gave it a shot.

do something in the house if you dont want to go out, bake a cake, pick a topic you don't know anything about and read up on it, current affairs, goldfish, tulips, nuclear bombs. pick somehting that sounds interesting and learn a bit about it.

if you have friends over, turn the TV off. it makes the conversation flow better, and you will learn a lot more about your friends.

but dont stress too much
Chase Me
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, you have to ask yourself why this is.
You stated, you are set in your ways, is this because you have fear of trying other things? If I were you I'd try a holiday with your mates, that's bound to crop up a story or five. You don't even have to go abroad, me and six of my mates went on a week to log cabins just outside Stirling and we were pished for a week straight. Best week of my life!

That's a lie, I moved to Shanghai when I was 17 to teach english, then went travelling. Those two months travelling were collectively the best time of my life. The downside is, I've done it all and I'm only 19. I'll probably never top it, but it's a challenge so I have an ace time trying.
slackerbeeatch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Chase Me)
The downside is, I've done it all and I'm only 19.
you can't have done it all. you're only 19! there's so much more for you to do!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (356)
37.63%
No - but I will (74)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (450)
47.57%

Watched Threads