The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Commuting to derby uni

Hi guys,
I've got a conditional offer from derby uni and I'm hoping to go in September 2013, providing I get my grades (touch wood!)
I never really fancied living away from home and in halls, so I've decided to live at home and commute to the university as it's only 45 mins approx on the train, (can't go back now, it's on my UCAS form!).

So I was wondering if there are any current/past students who commute or did commute to derby uni and what it was like? One of my main (big) worries is that I'll miss out on things such as the night life and freshers etc, and become a bit of a social outcast and have no friends! Although I do want to go to some of the freshers events, so what is it like going from a commuters point of view? Who do you go with, if halls people go with their flatmates? etc.

Also, if there are any students that are starting derby uni in September 2013 and will be commuting feel free to comment!
I'd like to get to know some people before starting uni so I'll be a lot less nervous!

Thanks for anyone who replies, it will be appreciated! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,
I'm commuting to Derby uni as well and providing I get the grades I'll be starting in September too :smile: I sort of have the same problem because even though I don't drink (not to fussed about the drinking part of freshers) i'm worried I'll have a disadvantage when it comes to meeting new people and making friends D:

I think on the bus it's only approx a 30 min journey. What course are you doing?
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi,
Same with me, I'm not overly bothered about the drinking part, but like you said I don't want to have a disadvantage when meeting new people - I don't want to miss out on meeting new people before my first lecture and I certainly don't want to be a loner!
I'll be doing business management (hopefully), what about you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I'm going to be doing Psychology :smile:
Hi guys,

The number 6 departs from the train station and takes you straight to the Kedleston Road site, via town. This takes around 20 minutes, but can be longer during peak times. The cost for the number 6 bus for the 2012/13 year was £1.80 for one trip, or £9 for a 10 trip ticket, working out at a bargain cost of 90p per trip! This usually goes up slightly each year, but should give you a good approximation of cost.

There are loads of events that you can still go to during freshers! The student's union holds events in different locations and at different times of day, so you don't have to worry about going home really late and missing the last train! The union has paint balling days, bowling, fitness classes and much more, so you're not going to miss out at all!

We look forward to seeing you in September! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me!

Stacey.
Reply 5
Ill be commuting as well doing photography,I'm the same I won't know anyone before freshers... where are you both travelling from? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Ill be travelling from Burton on Trent, what about you? :smile:
Reply 7
Lincoln :smile: nice to know I'm not the only one travelling :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Im driving in from Nottingham everyday I'm doing biology
Reply 9
I'll be commuting too, travelling in from Lichfield :smile:
Reply 10
I'm going to be coming by train from Alsager s-o-t. Not looking forward to the early morning starts! Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Joanna194
Ill be travelling from Burton on Trent, what about you? :smile:

ill be travelling from burton too but I don't actually start uni till feb!
Hey guys,

I thought this link might be useful - it goes over what previous students have said about the debate over commuting and not commuting to university.

Also, a good chance to meet lots of new people is, as mentioned before by us, the Freshers' events which you're all invited to, but also our Break the Ice Event 2013.

Break the Ice Event 2013 is a great chance to meet other people you might be living with, or near, as well as those studying your course at Derby, or similar courses to you. You'll meet current students, and also be able to ask us any last minute questions you may have.

There's also free food and drink at each event:

For Derby Campus students: Wednesday 4 September and Thursday 5 September from 6pm until 9pm.

For Buxton Campus students: Wednesday 4 September from 11am until 3pm.

Avoid disappointment and book your place now at www.derby.ac.uk/breaktheice

Joe Parker
[email protected]
Reply 13
[QUOTE="rebekahf;43794355"]Im driving in from Nottingham everyday I'm doing biology[/QUOTE

I'm doing biology too, and commuting from Notts also.
Reply 14
I'm doing Electronic Engineering and commuting from Chesterfield next year. Was wondering if there are any buses to Markeaton street?
Original post by 71jamesj
I'm doing Electronic Engineering and commuting from Chesterfield next year. Was wondering if there are any buses to Markeaton street?

Hi James,

Markeaton Street is only a short walk from town, or you can park at Markeaton Park and catch the free bus.

Hope this helps,

Stacey
Reply 16
Original post by Joanna194
Hi,
I'm commuting to Derby uni as well and providing I get the grades I'll be starting in September too :smile: I sort of have the same problem because even though I don't drink (not to fussed about the drinking part of freshers) i'm worried I'll have a disadvantage when it comes to meeting new people and making friends D:

I think on the bus it's only approx a 30 min journey. What course are you doing?

Hia I'm starting at derby in September and il be commuting :-) I'm also not too fussed about the drinking side of freshens.... Wud you like to meet up at some point? Xo
Original post by sophieeox4
Hia I'm starting at derby in September and il be commuting :-) I'm also not too fussed about the drinking side of freshens.... Wud you like to meet up at some point? Xo

Hey sophieeox4,

Have you both thought about booking onto our Break the Ice Event 2013?

You can book your place at www.derby.ac.uk/breaktheice

Kind regards,
Joe Parker
[email protected]
Hello!!!

I've only just seen this! I'm doing Media Production and commuting from Near Uttoxeter in Stoke On Trent!

Already registered for one of the break the ice events! So excited now! :smile: Just wanna get there and start :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Eleanora_Rose
Hello!!!

I've only just seen this! I'm doing Media Production and commuting from Near Uttoxeter in Stoke On Trent!

Already registered for one of the break the ice events! So excited now! :smile: Just wanna get there and start :smile:

Which day are you going? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest