The Student Room Group

Mature Student - Partner's income in current year

My wife will be going to uni in 2013/14. As a mature student, her finance is assessed against my income.

She has applied and received finance based upon the income I have provided for FY 2011/12. During the application it asked if my income had fallen by >15%, which it has not, so the assessment is based upon 2011/12.

However, I have now read on the SFE website that if our total household income has fallen by >15% since 2011/12, she can apply for assessment against current year income.

Our situation is that my income has fallen by about 5-10% since 2011/12, but when we add in the total loss of my wife's income, our household income has fallen by much more than 15%.

How do we go about getting my wife's finance entitlement reassessed against my current year's income? I think it will make a significant difference to the funding she will receive.
Hi there,

We don't ask student's to provide their own income details as we are aware that those in full time study will not longer we working full time hours and part time hours aren't considered.

Essentially what this means is that your income will be considered as the household income during her study time so we wouldn't be able to reassess on a decreased basis unfortunately.

Hope this explains,
Mark-Lee
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply.

I can see why that approach makes sense for "normal" students who are entering uni after A levels and are supported by parents whose income generally won't change significantly year to year. However, for mature students it does not seem to make sense as our household income will decrease significantly (prob >20%) from FY 2011/12 to 2013/14. Why does the SFE website say "household income" if it doesn't mean it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending