The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Unit 4 - June 2013

Haven't yet seen a thread for Unit 4 of sociology so i thought I should start one :smile: I'm doing the crime and deviance section with methods and theory as opposed to stratification and differentiation. that section looks godawful!

How's everyone's revision going for this exam? Has anyone's teacher predicted what they think will come up?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I received an A for Unit 3, Beliefs in Society, but after a really bad health dip have only just started to properly revise for Unit 4. I have been studious, but since the beginning of this unit have honestly felt overwhelmed and have no clue where to start and no idea on framework =S
Reply 2
Original post by ImagineI
I received an A for Unit 3, Beliefs in Society, but after a really bad health dip have only just started to properly revise for Unit 4. I have been studious, but since the beginning of this unit have honestly felt overwhelmed and have no clue where to start and no idea on framework =S

well done on your A! oh that sucks, hope you're better now. :smile:

I agree it is really weird. I just find it odd that they've chucked so much different stuff together - I like Crime and Deviance and find most of it interesting but the only thing I would be happy coming up Theory-wise is social policy or Marxism, neither of which seem likely. Methods is a doddle it's just so boring I can barely be bothered with it. Meeeh. Not feeling too bad overall about the exam though. :smile: just hope it's a nice one because some of the past papers look hell-ish
Reply 3
how have you started to revise for this unit? to me, there just seems so much content to learn compared to each of the other units i have done :frown:
I have a list of scholars everyone may find useful, will email them out if people need them!
Am I right in thinking that the grade boundaries are unusually low? I'm aiming for 68-70/90 which is 115-120 UMS. Seems too good to be true...
Reply 6
Original post by irishgal94
how have you started to revise for this unit? to me, there just seems so much content to learn compared to each of the other units i have done :frown:

I've just started with the stuff I find hardest to grasp. Like at the moment i'm making notes on Structure/Agency even though i hate it and don't really get it.

I agree it is silly that they've lumped it all together, but research methods and crime seem easy compared with theory stuff!
Reply 7
Original post by SeanToBeWild
I have a list of scholars everyone may find useful, will email them out if people need them!

That would be really helpful, yes please! Great username by the way ^.^
Reply 8
Original post by sophiech
well done on your A! oh that sucks, hope you're better now. :smile:

I agree it is really weird. I just find it odd that they've chucked so much different stuff together - I like Crime and Deviance and find most of it interesting but the only thing I would be happy coming up Theory-wise is social policy or Marxism, neither of which seem likely. Methods is a doddle it's just so boring I can barely be bothered with it. Meeeh. Not feeling too bad overall about the exam though. :smile: just hope it's a nice one because some of the past papers look hell-ish

Thank you ^.^

I agree, the arrangement does seem very random. Practise papers always help revision, I find : )
I'm doing this terrible paper :biggrin: Our teacher told us that Realist views on C&D is likely to come up but don't necessarily count on it. AQA like to catch people out in terms of predictions. :frown:

Why thank you :biggrin:

If you mail me your email address I can get it mailed out either tonight or tomorrow!
am i right in thinking that i just revise one topic for paper 3 (plan to do mass media) and one topic plus methods for paper 4? (plan to do crime and deviance).

crime and deviance is such a huge topic though. haven't started revising anything yet as just take a month for revision, but it feels like it will be a biggie.
Reply 13
Original post by SeanToBeWild

hey, is there any chance i could have your list also? struggling with this crime and deviance topic and would find it extremely helpful! Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by sophiech
Haven't yet seen a thread for Unit 4 of sociology so i thought I should start one :smile: I'm doing the crime and deviance section with methods and theory as opposed to stratification and differentiation. that section looks godawful!

How's everyone's revision going for this exam? Has anyone's teacher predicted what they think will come up?

Trying to find ideas as to what might come up in the c+d, theory and methods exam as there's waay too much to learn everything!!!:s-smilie: My teacher has predicted that modernity/globalisation/postmodernity might come up but you never know with aqa! Has your teacher predicted anything?
Original post by ignition1
Trying to find ideas as to what might come up in the c+d, theory and methods exam as there's waay too much to learn everything!!!:s-smilie: My teacher has predicted that modernity/globalisation/postmodernity might come up but you never know with aqa! Has your teacher predicted anything?

Myself and my crime teacher discussed this yesterday and we believe realism may come up for the crime and my theory teacher believes that for crime it will be realism or prevention methods; I also agreed with her that Marxism, Post-modernity and interactionism may be the theory question.

Also, mail me your email and I can email you the list :smile:
Reply 16
hey! im sitting along crime+ deviance, and beliefs in June, alongside a repeat of Educ :colondollar: but i was wondering, are yous revising methods again? or would what I learnt for methods in education be enough? il look at a few examples of how methods are related to crime, but im indecisive weather it would be wise to revise methods all again! (pushed for time :frown: )
Reply 17
Original post by kateee_m
hey! im sitting along crime+ deviance, and beliefs in June, alongside a repeat of Educ :colondollar: but i was wondering, are yous revising methods again? or would what I learnt for methods in education be enough? il look at a few examples of how methods are related to crime, but im indecisive weather it would be wise to revise methods all again! (pushed for time :frown: )

I would definitely revise methods again just to refresh your memory, especially because the a2 methods are slightly more advanced. You have over a month to revise so if you start now then i'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!
Reply 18
Could I also trouble you for said list?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by ignition1

tbh i can't quite remember what my teacher's predicted for crime and deviance, however she's got a feeling that structure/agency will come up for theory! that's my worst nightmare :frown: if she says next lesson what she thinks will come up i'll post it on here :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest