Fail (F) (9)
10.47%
ArVi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Jean)
I had 20 mins left after all the answering.
:ditto: I repeated the boiling point twice
ArVi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Compound A - which was later identified as FeSO4 - What colour was this? Shouldn't it have been either white or pale green. At our school all the samples were bright yellow and dissolved to give a bright yellow solution :mad:

If Edexcel sees consistency in all the scripts from our school, will they give marks if we initially identified it as Fe3+ (becuase it was yellow)?
ArVi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Prometheus)
How can you distil ions?
You can't...
Jean
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i got pale green solid... :/
ArVi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Jean)
i got pale green solid... :/
What on earth could they have done at my school :mad:

When has an Fe2+ salt ever been yellow and given a yellow solution
Jean
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ArVi)
What on earth could they have done at my school :mad:

When has an Fe2+ salt ever been yellow and given a yellow solution
Maybe it has oxidised.. You know, moisture and all those, so rusted. Could it be?
Maybe I'm talking nonsense..
shimmerinapple
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by genie k)
HEY SHIMMERINAPPLE I DONE THE SAME THING!!! AHHH I CNT BELIVE IT.
IT WAS BLUE WHEN I 1ST SAW IT SO I THOUGHT YEA ITS A KETONE. THEN AFTER THE END OF THE EXAM. THE TEACHER TOLD US 2 EMPTY THE SOLOUTIONS OUT. AND WHEN I WAS EMPTYING IT I SAW A RED PTT AT THE BOTTOM! N I WAS LIKE OHHH CRAPPPPPPP. N I COULDNT CHNAGE THE ANSWA AS THEY TOOK THE PAPER IN:mad:
Yea...i saw bits of red percipitate at the bottom.
Don't type in capital letters. :cool:
saira2369
Report 12 years ago
hey guyz........u rekon group 2 will b similar???
"Hurricane"
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by saira2369)
hey guyz........u rekon group 2 will b similar???
I guess it would be similar in concepts, but different techniques. Cuz the candidate slip was for both Group 1 and 2. Good Luck
"Hurricane"
Rep:
?
POLL: How did you do in your EDEXCEL Physics A2 Practicals?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=232025
"Hurricane"
Rep:
?
(Original post by shimmerinapple)
Yea...i saw bits of red percipitate at the bottom.
Don't type in capital letters. :cool:
Mine was all red.:cool:
reedahg
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Aburumman)
Well, for group 2 people, here are the questions:
Question 1:
Part A: Identify Fe2+. We did precipitation and oxidisation (H2O2) on it. We also used BaCl2 to identify SO4 2-.
Part B: Identify K+ by flame test and Cl- by pptation with AgNO3.

Question 2:
Part A: We did 2,4 DNP test, then we did Fehling's test, to identify aldehyde. We were then given mass spectrum analysis, result was propanal.
Part B: We did esterification to identify an alcohol. We then did oxidation by dichromate on it, result was positive, thus, it was a 1 or 2 degree. We were then given that it contains 1 more carbon than propanal, we drew the structure of the 2 isomers. Then we wre asked to write the reagents used to identify the isomers, I used the Iodoform.

Question 3:
We were asked to measure bp, I got 76 for rising and 77 for fall, thus the compound was ethyl ethanoate, inaccuracy was because bp values of compounds are close (difference of 2 degrees only), one source of inaccuracy was poor conductivity of water, improvement was by using fractional distillation.

Question 4:
Part A: Identifying 3 compounds (AlCl3, ZnCl2, NH3)=>EASY
Part B: Seperate between a mixture of ZnCl2 and AlCl3, you should get Zn2+ ions => Use simple distillation, Zn2+ as filterate.

Hope this helps group 1 and 2 ppl.
Good luck group 2.
I have my next exam on 15th of june, so im ready to help.
i think simple distaillation is wrong u must use sthg else!
Mustard-man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kingalan)
you oxidise the alcohols with acidified potassium dichromate...then add 2,4-DNP..then do silver mirror test....this is a correct way.......but they only gave us one line....i thought it musta bin sumthin short...and i ran outta time to write it...
Yes, I knew that had to be done, but I was sceptical as to why only one line was provided. Also the reagents bit was only worth a mark :eek: Dichromate + 2,4-DNPH + ammoniacal silver nitrate for one mark? I think not...
"Hurricane"
Rep:
?
(Original post by reedahg)
i think simple distaillation is wrong u must use sthg else!
Sorry, I meant simple fileration, ill edit it now.
"Hurricane"
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mustard-man)
Yes, I knew that had to be done, but I was sceptical as to why only one line was provided. Also the reagents bit was only worth a mark :eek: Dichromate + 2,4-DNPH + ammoniacal silver nitrate for one mark? I think not...
I think guyz they were already oxidised, because the previous question was to use K2Cr2O7, right???
"Hurricane"
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jean)
you can do the idoform test. the reagents are given in the user guide. secondary alcohol will give positive result as it has the -RCH(OH)CH3. primary will give you nothing.
Iodoform is a good answer, but I flipped the results (+ve for 1st degree)
Mustard-man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Aburumman)
I think guyz they were already oxidised, because the previous question was to use K2Cr2O7, right???
Oh sh******************t :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, are you really sure?

Fudge, that's 5 marks gone down the drain
"Hurricane"
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mustard-man)
Oh sh******************t :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, are you really sure?

Fudge, that's 5 marks gone down the drain
I guess, but I cant be sure till I see the markschemes.
arxtra
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
those few group 2 ppl... how did u find it?

i thought it went smoothly.. basically questions 1, 2 and 3 were exactly the same as group 1 just with different, yet very similar solutions... so thanks to all u ppl who contributed **feels vry guilty** that i don better than i wud hav! .. still working on those reps btw..

the plan was weird (and a good one atleast in edexcel's eyes im sure) i would say i got maybe 4 out of the 7.. it shoulda bin easy and i had time but i did not think they would give NaCl instead of NaOH which threw me off a teeny bit... but of course that is always the purpose of those plans so any opposition shud not b tolerated :rolleyes:
Abbas6
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by myzt1kal)
those few group 2 ppl... how did u find it?

i thought it went smoothly.. basically questions 1, 2 and 3 were exactly the same as group 1 just with different, yet very similar solutions... so thanks to all u ppl who contributed **feels vry guilty** that i don better than i wud hav! .. still working on those reps btw..

the plan was weird (and a good one atleast in edexcel's eyes im sure) i would say i got maybe 4 out of the 7.. it shoulda bin easy and i had time but i did not think they would give NaCl instead of NaOH which threw me off a teeny bit... but of course that is always the purpose of those plans so any opposition shud not b tolerated :rolleyes:
I thought the first two questions and the bp question were, on the whole, quite good, although I made a complete pig's ear of a few of the tests... namely the ammonical silver nitrate test (turns out I over heated and so didn't get any silver mirror precipitate!!)

The planning questions were quite tricky and I don't think I did particularly well in those. I'm not really confident of getting more than 2/7 for Question 4...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.06%
No - but I will (17)
5.31%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.25%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (158)
49.38%

Watched Threads