Chemically Inert Watch

brimstone
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Does this mean that the element (eg. xenon) is completely unreactive, or that it is still a tiny bit reactive?
Thanks
Oooh... and when it states that argon is used in the provision of a chemically inert atmoshpere, what does it mean?
Prometheus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You can get it to react (with like, magic and loads of electricity and stuff), but under normal conditions created naturally it doesnt react with anything. It can form things like XeO3 or flourides, although this was only discovered in like the 1960s (dont quote me :-s).

Argon is used in lamps to produce an inert atmosphere (specifically in bulbs). This is because when a lot of electricity passes though the fillament, if it were oxygen in the bulb and around the fillament, it would burn (i.e. react with the oxygen) and become coated in a non-conductive oxide layer (or, more likelyly the whole thing would become the oxide). By having an Argon atmosphere you stop this happening.
charco
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Bartlett discovered the first xenon compound - Xenon hexafluoroplatinate V - it nearly blew his head off when it spontaneously exploded taking his eye with it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (571)
37.71%
No - but I will (119)
7.86%
No - I don't want to (109)
7.2%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (715)
47.23%

Watched Threads