Internship for A2 students Watch

newbie17
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
at the moment i am doing AS. I m rly interested in studying economics at uni so that i can get into IB. I ve done a lot of national competitions related to economics and won some of them. Next year i ve heard there is an internship programme for A2 students at Deutsche Bank. Do you think there are any chances of getting into it? Or is this internship more likely to be taken by the kids whos parents have a lot of connections? What kind of activities apart from various national competitions related to economics, i should do in order to get an interview and make an impression. Btw I will get good grades in AS, most probably 5 As in History, Economics, Maths, Further Maths and General studies. I ve been also playing around with the stock market, e.g. investing in various companies, made some profit and etc.
CityMonkey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by newbie17)
at the moment i am doing AS. I m rly interested in studying economics at uni so that i can get into IB. I ve done a lot of national competitions related to economics and won some of them. Next year i ve heard there is an internship programme for A2 students at Deutsche Bank. Do you think there are any chances of getting into it? Or is this internship more likely to be taken by the kids whos parents have a lot of connections? What kind of activities apart from various national competitions related to economics, i should do in order to get an interview and make an impression. Btw I will get good grades in AS, most probably 5 As in History, Economics, Maths, Further Maths and General studies. I ve been also playing around with the stock market, e.g. investing in various companies, made some profit and etc.
I'm not familiar with the Deutsche thing you're talking about, but I imagine if there is a proper application form and procedure that they will take students who don't have contacts. Not sure about national economics competitions, maybe some of the resident TSR economists can help you, but I would say that doing countless ecnomics competitions won't alone get you in. Try to get a bit more variety, organise events, get on student committees at your 6th form, if there isn't one then form one...this is all the kinds of things IBs are looking for. I'd just like to point out that economics isn't essential to IB, and in certain sectors a more quantitative subject (physics, maths, engineering..) is preffered.

As to AS-levels, well general studies is negligible the rest are fine and good job on the investing things.
clueless101
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
I think he may mean the windsor fellowship...?!

Besides, theres not a lot he can do in year 13, wait until uni for more opportunities
el_capitan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by newbie17)
The 'I have a dream' programme? Not sure if this an 'internship' as such but I remember a guy at my college who got a place on it. There may have been a thread on this I seem to recall.
POLAND CALLING!!!
Report 12 years ago
mate i did the DB internship through the windsor fellowship!!! It consists of a proper application process and interviews!!
jameso88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm pretty sure its for "ethnic minorities" though and i'm pretty sure i read somewhere that someone's friend got rejected for being too white even though he was turkish this may be bs but im pretty sure i saw that.
RJA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
why is it just for ethnic minorities? bit unfair isn't it...
newbie17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by jameso88)
I'm pretty sure its for "ethnic minorities" though and i'm pretty sure i read somewhere that someone's friend got rejected for being too white even though he was turkish this may be bs but im pretty sure i saw that.
i dont think the deutsche bank one is for ethnic minorities.
Singh_87
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
As far as I know it is for ethnic minorities, its called the 'I have a dream' programme, and is in connection with the windsor fellowship....
POLAND CALLING!!!
Report 12 years ago
It is Deutsche bank!!!
CityMonkey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by R.J.A)
why is it just for ethnic minorities? bit unfair isn't it...
May be so, but institutions like investment banks have an elitist, white male dominated, old boys network image which they are trying to dispell in the media and in the general pubilc, and offering internships to young ethnic minorities is a sure fire way to show they offer equal opportunities etc etc. Banks couldn't give a toss about who works for them as long as they make money, but there are also a lot of ethnic minorities in banks who are extremely succesful and so they are trying to spot talent early and banks are generally becoming more and more image concious (hence the sacking of bankers who go to strip clubs..).
jameso88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
"The I have a dream... programme offers highly motivated A-Level students from Black and Asian minority ethnic backgrounds an intensive 4 week placement with Deutsche Bank during the summer and personal development training from the Fellowship." Lifted from their website, so basically unless your from black or asian descent you cannot apply which yes i do agree is unfair and i think they should set-up some more A-level type things for us whitey's but oh well probably too time consuming too much of a waste of time for them.
Inflation
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Trying to get the Asian's to like banking before they become doctors LOL!
RJA
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:rofl:
racingracer
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Singh_87)
As far as I know it is for ethnic minorities, its called the 'I have a dream' programme, and is in connection with the windsor fellowship....
Yea, he's right...its only for ethnic minorities...

''The Windsor Fellowship (WF) is a unique organisation that runs personal development and training programmes mainly, though not only, targeting high-achieving Black and Asian minority ethnic students in the UK''.

That was taken from this website...http://www.windsor-fellowship.org/

You should check it out, if you are still interested.

RacingRacer
clueless101
Report 12 years ago
The deadlines ended. As hes yr13 he can't apply again next year.
Singh_87
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
How about if you're going to take a gap year before you go uni, will you be able to apply for the programme then?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (228)
39.31%
No - but I will (40)
6.9%
No - I don't want to (41)
7.07%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (271)
46.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise