How did everyone find it?
What came up?
Any advice for those doing it tomorrow?
The Caretaker
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yeah i thought it was pretty easy, had plenty of time. not like the physics one which was a mad rush! one question for those who've also done it today what is the inference when you dissolve the first solid? i just said it was Fe(II) cos the solid was pale green.
"Hurricane"
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It was just EASY and SIMPLE, good for us!!

POLL: How did you do in your EDEXCEL A2 Chemistry Practicals:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=232983
ArVi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by The Caretaker)
just said it was Fe(II) cos the solid was pale green.
My solid and solution were both yellow. However the salt was Fe2+ right?

Will I lose marks for writing "Possible presence of Fe3+" as the inference for the first question?
"Hurricane"
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yeah i thought it was pretty easy, had plenty of time. not like the physics one which was a mad rush! one question for those who've also done it today what is the inference when you dissolve the first solid? i just said it was Fe(II) cos the solid was pale green.
I think guyz your supposed to say it's a water soluble salt. There are many pale green salts.
theunforgiven
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Aburumman)
I think guyz your supposed to say it's a water soluble salt. There are many pale green salts.
i mentioned all the salts that were green in colour
"Hurricane"
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by theunforgiven)
i mentioned all the salts that were green in colour
I guess that would be right. You can't determine it was Fe2+ until you saw the dirty green ppt, thats why this test was put in use, right?
The Caretaker
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
for the boiling point determination thingy i got 79 going up and 78 going down. i chose the second ester but apparently it was the first.

oh and just for interest what other salts are there that could be green in colour? i used the user guide thingy and it was only Fe(II) ions
"Hurricane"
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
for the boiling point determination thingy i got 79 going up and 78 going down. i chose the second ester but apparently it was the first.

oh and just for interest what other salts are there that could be green in colour? i used the user guide thingy and it was only Fe(II) ions
Ni(II) is green in solution.
Dimez
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
All in all, a pleasant paper. Much better than last year's AS paper IMO.
Dimez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If I remember correctly, compound A: FeSO4; B: KCL C: Propanal D: Primary/Secondary alchohol.

Boiling temperature of E: 76-77 (approx)
The Caretaker
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hey for the temperatures do you have to measure to 0.1 of a degree cos i just wrote 79 and 78 not 79.0 and 78.0

and Ni(II) is green in solution but this was a colourless solution, it was a green solid. the only green solid on the syllabus i think
ArVi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hey for the temperatures do you have to measure to 0.1 of a degree cos i just wrote 79 and 78 not 79.0 and 78.0
I think you have to give them to 1dp
ArVi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Compound A - which was later identified as FeSO4 - What colour was this? Shouldn't it have been either white or pale green. At our school all the samples were bright yellow and dissolved to give a bright yellow solution :mad:

If Edexcel sees consistency in all the scripts from our school, will they give marks if we initially identified it as Fe3+ (becuase it was yellow)?
ArVi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Dimez)
If I remember correctly, compound A: FeSO4; B: KCL C: Propanal D: Primary/Secondary alchohol.

Boiling temperature of E: 76-77 (approx)
Yeah, those look correct to me

D: butan-1-ol / butan-2-ol
b.p: Rising: 78 Falling 76 (my results)
Jean
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
We can just write it as transition metal ions present.. That's wat my lec always told us to write.
Dimez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Jean)
We can just write it as transition metal ions present.. That's wat my lec always told us to write.
That's true. The mark scheme gives leeway to that which stipulated in the earlier parts of the question, since there's no way of being adament merely by dissolving the compund in distilled water.

The mark scheme also gives a list of possible TM ions, all of which are perfectly acceptable.
tshah
Report 12 years ago
i thought planning was hard. i wrote the precipitation method i am not sure if it's right wht about u lot wht mathod did u wrote.
ko0ko0
Report 12 years ago
anybody know about the questions for group 3 ?????plz HELPPPPP
ko0ko0
Report 12 years ago
ANYONE GOT ANY IDea about tommorow's eXAM????GUYZ WHO DID IT PLZZZZ HELP ME I DNNO ANYTHING ABOUT IT
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.44%
No - but I will (77)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.86%

Watched Threads