The Student Room Group

Anyone applied for MOD apprenticeship?

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has applied for a Ministry of Defence apprenticeship this year? The selection test are happening next week for me and just wanted to hear other peoples experience of it all.

Cheers,

Dan.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by I am Dan
Bump!

I hope the fact I have had no replies that my chances are looking good!

Just waiting on the sift from the assessment tests now. Hopefully this week.

Cheers.

Bueller?........ Bueller?......... Bueller?

Have you heard back whether you have the job? went to the final interview a few weeks ago and waiting to here back
Reply 2
I'm going for Bristol what about you? Interview went well I thought, helps having an engineering background! What about you?
Reply 3
Yeah I got offered a place at Bristol too, just gotta wait same as you
Reply 4
Out of curiosity, Is this the Defense Equipment and Support Advanced Apprenticeship?
Reply 5
Original post by JordanKat
Out of curiosity, Is this the Defense Equipment and Support Advanced Apprenticeship?

Yeah. Did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by I am Dan
Yeah. Did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, I'm just familiar and interested in the general field.
i got the apprenticeship in bristol, waiting to hear back from security checks and have a medical on friday. who else is going to be in bristol???
Reply 8
Exactly the same as you, I have a medical next Thursday and waiting for security checks
So ill be in bristol
Reply 9
Just out of interest, what does the apprenticeship consist of? Also, what age do you have to be?
Reply 10
Original post by Qwerty96
Just out of interest, what does the apprenticeship consist of? Also, what age do you have to be?

The MoD's overview:

"The Ministry of Defence's (MOD's) Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) organisation has a £14 billion annual budget to buy and support all the equipment and services that the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force need to operate effectively. We work closely with industry, including through partnering agreements and private finance initiatives." (Source)

Responsibilities:

the procurement and support of ships, submarines, aircraft, vehicles, weapons, information systems, satellite communications and supporting services

general requirements including food, clothing, medical supplies and temporary accommodation

HM naval bases

the joint support chain

British Forces Post Office

Submarine Dismantling Project

all commercial activities within MOD

(Source)

The Apprenticeship:

"Technician apprentices are
recruited into the scheme annually, with applications invited early each year. Responding to high
level business needs, the scheme prepares Project Engineers for future employment at Band D level
within DE&S operating centres. The aim is to provide “Intelligent Deciders” who will make key
decisions within MoD Projects. The organisation requires apprentices to ensure that engineering
skills are grown to support the future needs of the business. "
(Source)

"Apprentices will be based at the DE&S HQ at Abbey Wood in Filton, Bristol. There will be a
requirement for them to complete at least one placement of around five months at another UK
location during their second and third years. Abbey Wood apprentices will be involved in various
projects covering Land, Maritime or Air Equipment. Abbey Wood apprentices are expected to
complete a Mechatronics (a combination of mechanical and electronic engineering) National
Diploma in year 1 and will then progress to either an Electronic, Mechatronic or Mechanical
Engineering Higher National Certificate (HNC)."
(Source)

"Apprentices will be based at HM Naval Base Devonport in Plymouth although there will be a
requirement for them to complete at least one placement of around five months at Abbey Wood
during their second and third years. Devonport apprentices will primarily be involved in maritime
projects including naval ship and submarine maintenance and repair activities. Devonport
apprentices are expected to complete an engineering based National Diploma and a Marine
Engineering HNC in year 1."
(Source)

"Anyone who will be over the age of 16 on the start date (usually on, or soon after, the 1st September every year). There is no upper age restriction. Minimum qualifications do apply as the
apprenticeship is a demanding course. Successful applicants must have (or expect to obtain) a
minimum of 5 GCSE’s at Grades A-C (or equivalent). The subjects must be English, Maths, a
Science or Engineering subject and any two other subjects. If you are in possession of a National
Diploma in an Engineering subject and achieved merits or above in all subjects, we may be able to
“fast track”you through the apprenticeship."
(Source)

Pay:

Current salaries for DE&S technician apprentices are:
Year 1 approx £14k per annum
Year 2 approx £15k per annum
Year 3 approx £18k per annum
(Source)
Reply 11
Thanks for the information, it sounds interesting, have you gotten an offer
Reply 12
I got a provisional offer just pending security checks etc for Plymouth. Hopefully see you in September!

Just wondering for those who have already had their medical what it involves as mine is this coming Wednesday?
Reply 13
I have a medical on Aug 6th for a place at Bristol, does anyone know where they're going to live this year?
Reply 14
I spoke to a friend yesterday who is currently in an apprenticeship with first great western. They are run by Brunei and Gordano. He seems to think our course is too. He had to do a sight test, hearing ****, urine sample and I think he said that was it.

Referencing the security forms, when I spoke the girl on the phone she said to me that everything has been submitted and looks all good. Not sure if that means I passed the checks or just the forms are completed adequately.
Reply 15
Just had my medical. Took all of 5 minutes. Just had blood pressure and colour blindness. The second was surprisingly hard haha.

Good luck for those whose is to come.
(edited 10 years ago)
Just had my medical today for Bristol, all I had to do was a colourblindness test and nothing else!
Reply 17
When was the application time for this? Might try for this year..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Think it was one of the late ones. Sure it closed in April I think. But I'd say go for it. Out of all the ones I saw it's the best one. was gonna go for one with Williams f1 but apparently its not all its cracked up to be.
Reply 19
I've looked at the Williams site but it just seems to have a brief statement about their apprenticeship and nothing else?

I will definitely look at MOD when they come up

Quick Reply

Latest