Edexcel Maths- A*/A topics? Watch

tiger_vio
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
What are the edexcel A/A* topics for non calc and calc papers? I know the function of x graphs like to come up on non calc, which I like because I'm good at them Any others? I've completley forgotten, hah. Thanks.
Hobbesian
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
vectors are big aswell
arpeggio
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm not sure, but for the non-calc it's probably a good idea to know about the rules for indeces, Pythagoras' Theorem, circle theorems (oh how I hate them!), simultaneous equations, finding the equation of a line, transformations (inc. enlargement), bearings, quadratic equations (ALWAYS come up) and those tables where you have to say whether something like "xy + yz + xz" is a volume, area or length. Also have a good knowledge of basic numeracy e.g. percentages, decimals, fractions, surds, rational numbers, prime numbers, LCFs and HCMs etc. You'll also need to know some of the stuff you need for Statistics GCSE i.e. designing a survey, probability, histograms and (possibly, although I might be getting them mixed up) the capture/recapture method. For the calculator you'll most likely need to know trigonometry, the sine/cosine rule, finding the volume/area/density of shapes such as cones/prisms, as well as a lot of the things you need to know for the non-calc. That's all I can think of right now! It looks like a lot, but once you know it and do a few past papers it all clicks into place
RJA
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
vectors and trig graphs
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, I should think that is about right. Why don't you check your specification? In general,

Non calc:
- Surds
- Irrational & rational numbers
- Quadratic equations (formula, completing the square)
- Volumes (eg working out the vol of a sphere inside a cube, or something)
- Bearings
- Vectors
- Simultaenous equations
- Sim. equations involving a quadratic

Calc:
- Trignometry
- Sine rule
- Cosine rule
- Pythagoras
- Circle theorems
- Growth & decay
- Trial & error
- Percentages

And other stuff....
RJA
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
just thinking back to GCSE last year...some of those A* questions were awful compared to C1 this year :P
person 34
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Excalibur)
Yeah, I should think that is about right. Why don't you check your specification? In general,

Non calc:
- Surds
- Irrational & rational numbers
- Quadratic equations (formula, completing the square)
- Volumes (eg working out the vol of a sphere inside a cube, or something)
- Bearings
- Vectors
- Simultaenous equations
- Sim. equations involving a quadratic

Calc:
- Trignometry
- Sine rule
- Cosine rule
- Pythagoras
- Circle theorems
- Growth & decay
- Trial & error
- Percentages

And other stuff....
that's just the a and a* topics yeah?
Cataclysm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Those topics can be B/A grades as well, it's just what they are demanding that makes them A* - I would say know trignometry inside out and the graphs, algebra you should be good at, there is bound to be a quadratic equation in the exams.
tiger_vio
Rep:
?
Thanks guys
I need to work on vectors.. argg.. how I hate them! I've revised circle theorems today *feels proud of self*
I also take GCSE Stats (but id be lucky to get a b, we only do it for an hour a week!) so im fine on all that stuff!
Cataclysm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have been entered for GCSE Statistics and we haven't had any lessons on it. Consider yourself lucky
Eternity Forever
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My school has replaced all our maths lessons with statistics,(since january) so we have to go to extra lessons after school if you are doing higher maths.
Cataclysm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Touché, you win. :p:
tiger_vio
Rep:
?
(Original post by R.J.A)
vectors and trig graphs
what do the trig graph questions involve? i've totally forgotten, i had a sheet somewhere which i've lost... i remember drawing the table and plotting it, and reading off values or something? i know quite alot of symmetry was involved, as well...
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For GCSE, I think you are required to draw graphs of the sine, cosine and tangent (maybe by using a table of values but you should probably know it anyway). Also, they may ask you some questions on their transformation: eg, if f(x)=sinx, they may ask you to draw what f(x)=2sinx looks like. Judging from past papers though, it doesn't come up that often.
RJA
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you should know the general shape of sinx cosx and tanx
i.e. sinx goes through the origin, cosx goes through (0,1), tanx has an asymptote every 90 degrees

you should also know the basic transformations
i.e. sinx+1 moves up by 1, sin(x+1) moves left by 1, 2sinx is stretched vertically, sin2x is compressed horizontally, sin0.5x is stretched horizontally

you shouldn't need to make a table of points etc. you can just draw it from the basic shape, e.g. sinx goes through (0,0) (90,1) (180,0) etc.
Hobbesian
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
[QUOTE=person 34]English Literature (Edexcel June 21st, 11.07am starting time, 2hours 15minutes long) A* - 100%
English Language (Edexcel June 18th 9.16am starting time 2hours each.) A* - 100%
German N.B seperated into 4 sections in which I gained 100% each A*
French N.B Ditto
Mathematics (Edexcel June 16th 1.04 starting time 2hours each.) A* - 100%
History (Edexcel May 24th 5.09am starting time 2 hours each.) A* - 100%
Latin (OCR N.b Split into 4 section in which I gained 100% in all) - A* - 100%
Science - (AQA, all taken seperatley, A* in each) - A* - 100% multiplied by 3
Music - (Edexcel - 25th May 3.25am) A* - 98%, being sent back for remarking for the 5th time. Damn creativity!
Geography (OCR - 6th June 10.09am) A* - 100%
QUOTE]

I know this is off topic - but wow!!! Are you like some sort of genius??
Jason_K
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No, but you sir have selective vision!
(Original post by person 34)
I really love people who take this seriously
Berto90
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd like to offer a comforting word to anyone doing GCSE Maths this year, which is that last years paper was notoriously difficult, therefore I'm willing to be they'll make this years slightly easier.
michaelbenson
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I remember that last year the final question on the Edexcel Mathematics paper was a simultaneous equation needing to be solved via the substituition method. This warranted 10 marks.
Berto90
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by michaelbenson)
I remember that last year the final question on the Edexcel Mathematics paper was a simultaneous equation needing to be solved via the substituition method. This warranted 10 marks.
Lol, maybe the paper wasn't so hard then. :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads