Nominations for German representative Watch

Ulv!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by brimstone)
Thank you - but by speech do you mean manifesto?
oh yeah, "manifesto", sorry hehe, how unprofessional of me
Ulv!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
NOMINATION FOR GERMAN REPRESENTATIVE: Ulv!’s Manifesto

Most honorable and respected colleagues,

I, Ulv!, the current representative for Austria, would like to submit my application for the position of the Model United Nation’s German representative. I will briefly expose my views concerning the role of Germany in the MUN so as to familiarise you with the policies I hope to adopt.

In the current global state of affairs, it is my opinion that Germany has a significant role to play. Not only is Germany a major economic nation, being the world's first exporter and Europe's most populous nation; it is also of great importance to the European Union and to the Old Continent as a whole. With the election of Frau Angela Merkel as Chancellor of Germany, it is my belief that German diplomacy is entering a new phase. Under our last Chancellor, Gerhard Schröder, Germany assumed a partisan position against the United States, over the Iraq war, for example. At present, Chancellor Merkel has been strengthening Germany's ties with the United States of America. Our Chancellor has also been improving relations with the Federal Republic of Russia. German diplomats have been instrumental in negotiating with Iran, amongst others, these past months. Now is the time, in my opinion, to increase German activitiy in international affairs. This does not mean that Germany will automatically agree with the viewpoints of its greatest allies, but would seek to reach an agreement, or at least to encourage further debate before action is taken.
As you can see, Germany is involved on a plurality of levels; I would like to develop this aspect of German diplomacy as much as possible, especially concerning the following issues:

i) Iran’s nuclear ambitions. Germany should do its utmost to aid its allies and the MUN in trying to solve this extremely preoccupying problem.

ii) Environmental awareness, extensive green technology research, and reduction of greenhouse gases emissions, despite the ongoing controversy on the reality of climate change. Discussion of energy issues with all those concerned. In Germany’s and Europe’s case, cooperating with the Russian representative in this respect would be invaluable.

iii) Participating in the further integration and development of Eastern and Central European states, not only into the European Union, but also into the global community. I believe that in this case, Germany could be an influential medium between the United Nations and the aforementioned nations. I would also undertake discussions with the Russian representative concerning a renewed resolution to appoint a CIS observer, the last resolution having failed.

iv) Promoting human rights and free press around the world. This applies especially to those nations who have an increasingly important part to play in global affairs, such as China or Russia, but who are still impinging on the fundamental rights of their citizens in one way or another. This also concerns other countries, such as the United States of America in Guantanamo Bay and Abu Ghraib.

v) Undermining the power and influence of the world’s strongholds of dictatorship and injustice, especially in North Korea, Byelorussia, Burma, and other nations around the world, by forming a united international front against these oppressive individuals.

vi) Improving relations and cooperation with countries in Africa, Asia, and South America who could benefit from German financial and technological expertise and aid.

vii) Playing an active humanitarian and peacekeeping role in the world, such as in the aftermath of the Tsunami catastrophe last year. I would like to use this occasion to urge all of you to encourage your respective governments to send as much aid as possible to Darfur, where the two rebel factions are now fighting each other, despite having signed a peace agreement with the Sudanese government.

I can assure you, my dear colleagues, that I would try to fulfill my duties to the best of my abilities. This entails open-mindedness and clarity in debating international affairs, as well as a strong commitment to providing accurate information on Germany’s positions on these issues to all present. I could make the most of my fluent command of the German language, of my daily contacts with German media and citizens, and of my knowledge of German politics, culture and society to achieve these goals.

Thank you for your consideration and potential support,
The Model United Nations Austrian delegate
aiman
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wow.. that's long! Yet good :yy:

Other than the Guantanamo Bay thing-y
aiman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
iii) Participating in the further integration and development of Eastern and Central European states, not only into the European Union, but also into the global community. I believe that in this case, Germany could be an influential medium between the United Nations and the aforementioned nations. I would also undertake discussions with the Russian representative concerning a renewed resolution to appoint a CIS observer, the last resolution having failed.
This should definitely be intersting, provided that Germay voted no adamantly, last time (under me, that is :p:)
Nightowl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I install ulv! as our new German representative!
aiman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Congrats, Ulv! (notice the capatilization, Nightowl)
gemgems89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Goodness me, that was long!

Well done Ulv!! Israel welcomes the new German representative and looks forward to close relations with Germany in the future.
Ulv!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by aiman)
This should definitely be intersting, provided that Germay voted no adamantly, last time (under me, that is :p:)
oh wow, have i done something wrong? please correct me if i am wrong on this issue. I guess it's the Austrian reflex of wanting to cooperate and trade with the East... suppose it's hard to decide what Germany would really think of this were it to happen in the UN.
Ulv!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nightowl)
I install ulv! as our new German representative!
By golly, no one put up a fight! Still thank you very much Mr. Secretary General for this unanticipated promotion!:yy:Thanks for your nice words, all you MUN reps:p: .
I have to go eat :eating: now, be back later for a general distribution of World Cup final tickets hehe :party:
aiman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh wow, have i done something wrong? please correct me if i am wrong on this issue. I guess it's the Austrian reflex of wanting to cooperate and trade with the East... suppose it's hard to decide what Germany would really think of this were it to happen in the UN.
No, no. You could be right, taking into account that recently EU members are meeting with Russia and are trading quite rigirously. You will see the discussion that went on in the SC, soon enough.
Nightowl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Google it, find out their relationship with such organisations, Google is your friend!
Ulv!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by aiman)
Wow.. that's long! Yet good :yy:

Other than the Guantanamo Bay thing-y
haha i just thought i might as well have a go at you, as well as teasing the Russians and the Chinese.
Thanks for the kind words.
brimstone
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
India welcome the new Representative for Germany
Ulv!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nightowl)
Google it, find out their relationship with such organisations, Google is your friend!
ok i will try to get to the bottom of this.let you know tomorrow!
Jammertal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Poland welcomes the new representative for Germany. Poland hopes that he will put further efforts into the improvement of the bilateral relations of the two countries.

Congrats Ulv!. Aber ein Oesi, der Deutschland vertritt...
Apollo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Congrats!
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Congratulations Ulv!! I'm sure you'll do a phenomenal job. I've been most impressed with your work so far.
Ulv!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The German representative thanks all the reps for the very kind words, and hopes that he will be able to live up to their expectations. Thanks for boosting my confidence Knogle:yy:. I, whohave far less MUN experience than you, think the same of your work.
I too would like to improve bilateral relations with Poland; Germano-Polish relations have a lot of potential in them to benefit not only themselves, but the whole of Europe.
Jammertal was expressing his wonder at an Austrian representing Germany hehe, I know it's a little weird but what the heck! I guess that is the beauty of internet!
Ulv!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
From what I was able to gather on Germano-CIS relations, they are rather mixed. As you can see here, Germany obviously wishes to open itself up to CIS citizens, by acknowledging the fact that educational and technological cooperation could benefit both parties: http://www.bmbf.de/en/2513.php
On the other hand, the usual stigma affecting German diplomacy is its sometimes awkward stance towards countries like Ukraine, due to Germany's turbulent, to say the least, past (this is ab it outdated, but still relevant:http://www.photius.com/countries/ger...elations.html). Despite collaborating with Ukraine on energy issues, I think this factor still affects relations between some CIS nations and Germany.
The problem I encountered while researching was that, since the CIS is made up of such an eclectic bunch of nations, German relations to them vary greatly (compare between Belarus and Ukraine, for instance).
So I think that Aiman's stance towards a CIS observer is just as justified as mine, it depends on the rep hehe. In any case, we could simply consider that Germany would consider a CIS observer as a useful correspondent for improving Germany/EU-CIS states relations, and integrating some of them into Europe, etc...this is in accordance with my manifesto at least. If you disagree I will make the necessary changes.
Jammertal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The second link doesn't work (invalid page). And I didn't know that the German education and research ministry receives enough funds to employ a interpreter.

Poland would like to express its concerns that a further concentration of German politics on the relations to CIS countries and Russia in particular could lead to a neglect of the efforts to improve the German-Polish relations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (477)
38.19%
No - but I will (95)
7.61%
No - I don't want to (87)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (590)
47.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise