The Student Room Group

Pi and sigma bonds..?

Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone could explain the difference between pi bonds and sigma bonds??

Original post by hoggjz000
Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone could explain the difference between pi bonds and sigma bonds??

Relates to the symmetry around the internuclear axis. Sigma bonds look like an s orbital when viewed along the bond, pi bonds look like a p orbital.
Reply 2
Original post by hoggjz000
Hey,

when a covalent bond is formed, two atomic half filled orbitals overlap, if they overlap "end on" a sigma bond is formed, if they lie perpendicular to the bond and overlap "side on" a pi bond is formed.
Reply 3
Sigma Bond:
Made by an overlap of orbitals in the bond. So say if there was a C=C bond, the sigma bond will obviously be between the C=C.

Pi Bond:
Made by the overlap of P Orbitals. There's a diagram which explains it really well. I think Pi bond is responsible for giving out electrons when bonds are broken or formed.
Original post by yodawg321
Sigma Bond:
Made by an overlap of orbitals in the bond. So say if there was a C=C bond, the sigma bond will obviously be between the C=C.

Pi Bond:
Made by the overlap of P Orbitals. There's a diagram which explains it really well. I think Pi bond is responsible for giving out electrons when bonds are broken or formed.

....... sorry but that just isn't correct. The 'correct' definition is related to the symmetry about the internuclear axis (as I wrote above). In practice this usually corresponds to sigma = single bond, pi= the second bond in the double bond.
It is not that p orbitals give pi bonds. P orbitals can overlap to form sigma and pi bonds. Also d orbitals can form sigma, pi and delta! S can only form sigma bonds though.
Reply 5
Original post by JMaydom
....... sorry but that just isn't correct. The 'correct' definition is related to the symmetry about the internuclear axis (as I wrote above). In practice this usually corresponds to sigma = single bond, pi= the second bond in the double bond.
It is not that p orbitals give pi bonds. P orbitals can overlap to form sigma and pi bonds. Also d orbitals can form sigma, pi and delta! S can only form sigma bonds though.

In my book it says sigma is overlap of orbitals, pi overlap of P orbitals :s-smilie: Obviously I'm not learning this in the best detail.
Reply 6
In my book it says sigma is overlap of orbitals, pi overlap of P orbitals :s-smilie: Obviously I'm not learning this in the best detail.

Your book is simplifying things.

I assume this book is for A-level as this is a simplification. I'm working with the 'actual' definition which I have learnt at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest