The F1 Society Watch

thomasp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I can't remember the Canadian GP commentary last year... could someone remind me of why it was so awful?

When I was in America last year I watched the french & British races, and Brundle and Allen are so much better than the commentators they had in America. Trust me, you haven't seen a bad commentary till you've seen what they do in America.... it makes Allen's commentary of Button's first win an enjoyable moment.

Mainly because the two ITV-F1 commentators have actually been in the sport for more than 10 minutes and are watching the race live, and aren't plugging some random thing or advertising the next "football" game every 15 seconds (yes, I know James Allen did that with the world cup or whatever, but they didn't cover the screen in a promotional banner).

Then, at one of the races, they kept showing footage of Kubica's huge crash in Canada a couple of weeks before - MID WAY THROUGH THE US RACE!

ITV = Brilliant in comparison.
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I remember excessive talk of hamilton and the cringe moment when he won the race.
Untitled258
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I dont remember much really, if any, just hamiltons first win + James Allan = bound to be awful.
PoisonDonna
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by thomasp)
I can't remember the Canadian GP commentary last year... could someone remind me of why it was so awful?
I don't remember anything specific sticking out, apart from the Hamilton adoration reaching disgusting new heights. I was also a bit annoyed at how Kubicas crash got a bit overlooked because golden boy won.
Luize
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by PoisonDonna)
I don't remember anything specific sticking out, apart from the Hamilton adoration reaching disgusting new heights. I was also a bit annoyed at how Kubicas crash got a bit overlooked because golden boy won.
I can't remember if it was Kubicas crash or one in the GP2 earlier that was almost completely overlooked and very little was said about the driver. I would have been watching the GP2 on eurosport who are usually good at commentating.
The Hitchhiker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Luize)
I can't remember if it was Kubicas crash or one in the GP2 earlier that was almost completely overlooked and very little was said about the driver. I would have been watching the GP2 on eurosport who are usually good at commentating.
That crash was unreal, all he got was concussion and a sprained ankle....:eek:

The close up stills show his feet outside the nose of the car, post impact. Incredible. And he got back in at the French GP and drove a solid race.
Untitled258
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Yellow Truck)
That crash was unreal, all he got was concussion and a sprained ankle....:eek:

The close up stills show his feet outside the nose of the car, post impact. Incredible. And he got back in at the French GP and drove a solid race.
Thats just testament to the how well designed the cockpit of the car is
The Hitchhiker
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Untitled258)
Thats just testament to the how well designed the cockpit of the car is
Yeah, very true. Shocking as no other car would even come close to letting you live at that speed, let alone the relativley minor injuries he received.
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what is it that makes the cars so much faster or slower than each other. surely they all weigh the same and have roughly the same power and torque figures. i mean, what can one of them do that the other cant or doesnt know about.
Herr Stamper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dac.)
what is it that makes the cars so much faster or slower than each other. surely they all weigh the same and have roughly the same power and torque figures. i mean, what can one of them do that the other cant or doesnt know about.
The bloke behind the wheel? :p:
thomasp
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dac.)
Different aerodynamics. The teams all have different budgets and some will be able to do more wind tunnel/track testing than others, so will be able to get a few more 1/100ths of a second extra performance from the aero than other teams - it all soon adds up.
The Hitchhiker
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm falling out of love with F1... The last Grand prix was such a procession....
President_Ben
Report 10 years ago
I'm falling out of love with F1... The last Grand prix was such a procession....
The Spanish GP has been pretty dull for some years in terms of racing...
thomasp
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The spanish GP is always one of the dulllest track on the calendar, mainly because there's very few heavy braking zones, and the teams test there so much all the drivers know the track like the back of their hands.

And, with the current aero packages on the cars making it very hard for them to follow other cars closely, the field gets spread out a lot in those long fast corners.
Captain Biggles
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by thomasp)
And, with the current aero packages on the cars making it very hard for them to follow other cars closely, the field gets spread out a lot in those long fast corners.
Next year's cars will compete in a much closer and more exciting race.
President_Ben
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Captain Biggles)
Next year's cars will compete in a much closer and more exciting race.
Don't count on it... there's still little room to overtake on a track that has one distinct racing line and few braking zones.

Rolling back the aero and improving mechanical grip will set us back towards some degree of the performance you might have seen some years ago - late 90s perhaps - but then, people were already having a moan about overtaking, it was rare, people thought races were getting processional and wished for the 'good old days' which essentially meant, allowed for greater opportunity of driver error or skill in avoiding errors, to cause track position changes and cause differing lap times.
The Hitchhiker
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Front wings, Barge boards and rear wings only. Add in slicks and get rid of the two tyre compund rule and modify the tracks for a multiple racing line config whereever possible and strike off tracks Including bloody monaco where overtaking is all but impossible.
President_Ben
Report 10 years ago
Front wings, Barge boards and rear wings only. Add in slicks and get rid of the two tyre compund rule and modify the tracks for a multiple racing line config whereever possible and strike off tracks Including bloody monaco where overtaking is all but impossible.
Having two possible racing lines won't happen. Rubber will improve grip on one line and do so, dramatically, to the point where a second is not viable unless the speed differential is very significant. And of course, this effect is more pronounced as tyres are able to gain more of the mechanical grip...

Off the racing line, any discarded marbling from tyres will make going off the line more severe. Now, while this might cause some of the speed differential that will allow overtaking, it's a rather curious way to encourage 'visually pleasing' racing - don't you think?
Untitled258
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I cant see how they could modify monaco to make overtaking posible.

Whats everyone think of this idea??

IF the f1 goes back to indy, will they use the F1 track, or, use the new motoGP track thats being built atm, personally, i think it looks better, and itll be better because the long 20odd second flat out is gone, and more consistent bends, so they should be able to get a decent set up.

Heres the new layout.
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
who designs the tracks? i personally think the valencia track they race the world touring cars on is the best.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (284)
37.67%
No - but I will (53)
7.03%
No - I don't want to (55)
7.29%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (362)
48.01%

Watched Threads