The F1 Society Watch

.Andrew.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by F1 fanatic)
Yeah I remember it too. I expect most motorsport fans do. I exapect he would have retired by now. I think Schumacher would have had him at some point too. They are both of great talent. It would certainly have made the mid 90s more interesting. We shall never know though...
Shame... Him vs Shumacher would have been amazing.

Today has just been a look back on history, remembering the likes of Nigel Mansell, Senna, Brundle, Hill and a few others... Even remembering Sterling Moss' days, which is way before my time, but he was great, and still is when i see him racing here...

Anyway..
.Andrew.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by layla*)
Well it was implicitly implying that :p: :rofl:

And to what you and Andy were talking about, uh, I can't remember it Maybe I wasn't as much of a F1 fan as I thought I was
Its ok Layla..
F1 fanatic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by A.ndrew)
Shame... Him vs Shumacher would have been amazing.

Today has just been a look back on history, remembering the likes of Nigel Mansell, Senna, Brundle, Hill and a few others... Even remembering Sterling Moss' days, which is way before my time, but he was great, and still is when i see him racing here...

Anyway..
where is here?

Stirling Moss was in my opinion the second best British driver after Clark. Shame he never won the championship, but admirable that he always wanted to drive British cars even when they were rubbish. Fangio highly rated him so that is praise indeed.

The days of old fascinate me. I think the W196 is one of my favourite ever F1 cars actually. Certainly in terms of beauty.

I wouldn't worry Layla. It is not a nice thing to remember. I'd rather I didn't.
.Andrew.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
where is here?

Stirling Moss was in my opinion the second best British driver after Clark. Shame he never won the championship, but admirable that he always wanted to drive British cars even when they were rubbish. Fangio highly rated him so that is praise indeed.

The days of old fascinate me. I think the W196 is one of my favourite ever F1 cars actually. Certainly in terms of beauty.

I wouldn't worry Layla. It is not a nice thing to remember. I'd rather I didn't.
Sorry, here is goodwood, west sussex. There are 2 major shows a year with the likes of Stirling and a fair few F1 drivers pass and present and other drivers from rally and around the world... that come here to drive around the course and at the Festival of Speed..

i don't know too much about the F1 cars them self, but they certainly are really advanced now-a-days. Not that they were that simple in the past.

The W196 is a very nice looking car, im not sure what they were like in terms of safety, but that was a long time ago.
F1 fanatic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sorry, here is goodwood, west sussex. There are 2 major shows a year with the likes of Stirling and a fair few F1 drivers pass and present and other drivers from rally and around the world... that come here to drive around the course and at the Festival of Speed..

i don't know too much about the F1 cars them self, but they certainly are really advanced now-a-days. Not that they were that simple in the past.

The W196 is a very nice looking car, im not sure what they were like in terms of safety, but that was a long time ago.
Ahh yes I suspected as much to be honest. I havent been to the revival or the festival of speed. It must be pretty cool.

I've read quite a bit into the tech side of F1 cars. It is an area that interests me being a physicist. They really are incredible pieces of machinery in terms of performance, sophistication and attention to detail.

To be frank the W196 is not at all good for safety! But comparable with those of its day. that is the great thing about F1 today. It is so safe.
.Andrew.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ahh yes I suspected as much to be honest. I havent been to the revival or the festival of speed. It must be pretty cool.

I've read quite a bit into the tech side of F1 cars. It is an area that interests me being a physicist. They really are incredible pieces of machinery in terms of performance, sophistication and attention to detail.

To be frank the W196 is not at all good for safety! But comparable with those of its day. that is the great thing about F1 today. It is so safe.
Its a good 3 days out, especially if your into F1 cars..

Ive seen a few older f1 cars crash at goodwood, and to be fair they are mangled to pieces, even if its just a little crash, i think Stirling Moss almost lost his life in one, im not sure.

In a weird way, there is too much safety in F1 cars today, not saying its impossible to crash one, but in most cases, even if it is a really bad crash, the driver can walk away with minor injuries, or maybe none at all.

I would love to study more into the tech side of F1 cars.
Ili
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its ok Layla..
Aww both of you are being really sweet. :hugs: :hugs: But I feel like I'm missing out a lot on not knowing many things (not only about F1).
.Andrew.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Aww both of you are being really sweet. :hugs: :hugs: But I feel like I'm missing out a lot on not knowing many things (not only about F1).

its ok Layla, you can learn off of these posts.. :p:

What things don't you know? Maybe we can help?!
Ili
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

its ok Layla, you can learn off of these posts.. :p:

What things don't you know? Maybe we can help?!
Uh yea, I suppose I could.

Oh just loads of things; I can't list them all.
.Andrew.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Uh yea, I suppose I could.

Oh just loads of things; I can't list them all.
Oh ok then..
F1 fanatic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its a good 3 days out, especially if your into F1 cars..

Ive seen a few older f1 cars crash at goodwood, and to be fair they are mangled to pieces, even if its just a little crash, i think Stirling Moss almost lost his life in one, im not sure.

In a weird way, there is too much safety in F1 cars today, not saying its impossible to crash one, but in most cases, even if it is a really bad crash, the driver can walk away with minor injuries, or maybe none at all.

I would love to study more into the tech side of F1 cars.
Indeed, Belgium in around 58 I think. though I may be wrong with the date. He had a shot at the championship at the time I think but it pretty much ended his career.

I think the safety thing is a good thing. I don't want a repeat of Senna. There are spectacular crashes and the drivers just walk away. The only thing you could arue is that the run-offs are so large that the fans can't really get close to the action.

It's quite easy to look into the tech side. There are loads of books on the subject. The net is quite good too. Lots of info if you search for it. The official site is pretty good for that, and I find it is always good to have a working knowledge of the regulations. If you want something explaining just ask in here also

yup, you pick a lot up from what other people say Layla. I've learnt almost all my knowledge from books, tv, magazines and a bit from here too
Ili
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yup, you pick a lot up from what other people say Layla. I've learnt almost all my knowledge from books, tv, magazines and a bit from here too
Yeah, the media's typically where I learn new things. But I also often believe in what other people in real life or on TSR say coz I expect them to be honest to me like I am to them. It's just what they say: "you give what you get".

Oh ok then..
It's ok Andy. You'd teach me some stuff if I'd ask you about it, right?
.Andrew.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Indeed, Belgium in around 58 I think. though I may be wrong with the date. He had a shot at the championship at the time I think but it pretty much ended his career.

I think the safety thing is a good thing. I don't want a repeat of Senna. There are spectacular crashes and the drivers just walk away. The only thing you could arue is that the run-offs are so large that the fans can't really get close to the action.

It's quite easy to look into the tech side. There are loads of books on the subject. The net is quite good too. Lots of info if you search for it. The official site is pretty good for that, and I find it is always good to have a working knowledge of the regulations. If you want something explaining just ask in here also

Yeh i think it was around 58, or maybe the early 60's.. A crash at goodwood i think made him retire later on.

Ive got a few books on F1, but none of them really contain the tech sides of things very well, got a few sectioned pictures, but they are quite poor. Good idea to look on the net, ill have a look round

A repeat of Senna on another Legend would be awful, so just as well the safety is what it is, as you said. Its still a dangerous sport, same as rally driving, but thats a hell of alot different.
.Andrew.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

It's ok Andy. You'd teach me some stuff if I'd ask you about it, right?
Im hurt that you even have to ask that :bawling:

Of course i will
Ili
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Im hurt that you even have to ask that :bawling:

Of course i will
:p: I'm sorry...

Good! :yy: Now do get on with the F1 discussion
.Andrew.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:p: I'm sorry...

Good! :yy: Now do get on with the F1 discussion
Its ok layla...

Ok i shall... Layla what is your favourite make of Tyre on an F1 car? and what style.. :p:

Just Kidding.. i don't even know that....
Ili
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its ok layla...

Ok i shall... Layla what is your favourite make of Tyre on an F1 car? and what style.. :p:

Just Kidding.. i don't even know that....
Goodie good.

Uh....:dontknow: :p:

:eek: :rofl:
Redefined
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I only started following F1 (the sport not the TSR member ) in, hmmm, 1997/8 something like that.
ZanyZanny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
well the first proper season i watched was 2004 so i well behind
.Andrew.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I started watching F1 in about 1992/1993 sort of time, and still ain't got bored of it like i have with football. People say how can i stand watching a bunch of cars going round the same tracks loads of times, but anything can happen, and its alot more exciting then watching the likes of Rooney cry over falling over a ball of air

And actually being at a race is superb, the atmosphere is amazing, and not full of louts like football..

Rant over... :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (82)
39.23%
No - but I will (9)
4.31%
No - I don't want to (13)
6.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (105)
50.24%

Watched Threads