Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is for AS level by the way...

Any tips, other than just learning vocab?
    I struggle with interacting with the examiner... is it a case of just saying "Je suis d'accord avec vous" or "Quoi?!" in response to an opinion?

ALSO: If one has chosen a selection of cinema topics to do for the prepared topic, does this mean that music and fashion will NOT come up in the oral?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Also, would using the perfect subjunctive allow you to score higher on A03 (the grammar mark out of 15)?

ReputationRep:
    Im currently doing AS german with AQA, and yes if you choose cinema for your topic nothing else in the culture topic will come up.

I cant really help much on the over 90% bit. Just having a wide range of vocabulary and not repeating vocab too much also using nice phrases like in german there is um...zu... (in order to) which makes it sound a bit posher.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I scored full marks in my AS oral (no idea why!) but one thing I did that a lot of my classmates didn't is just keep talking! Even if your grammar isn't perfect, keep talking - you will cover more topics and your accent will be better shown. If you don't know the answer to a question use time wasters such as "c'est une question très difficile/polémique" and don't be afraid to euhhm A LOT - it's better than leaving quiet space and the examiner is more likely to realise you're struggling rather than just thinking of an answer. If you agree with what the examiner says, reply with "oui, je suis d'accord MAIS..." And lead onto a different argument like that. Don't panic if you get an unexpected question. In my exam the examiner basically said, "I smoke 50 a day and drink a bottle of wine every night. Am I healthy?" I was obviously unsure of what to answer and didn't want to seem rude haha, but she helped me get to what she wanted me to talk about (diseases). Unexpected questions are there to help you get better marks for improvisation, but the examiner would likely only give you a weird question if she thought you could cope with it.

USE YOUR PLANNING TIME WELL. I initially picked the wrong card and then changed my mind- don't panic if you have to do this, you have plenty of time. Try to also plan answers you think the examiner might ask. In your presentation, write out as many interesting tenses as you can- this way you get them into your exam and are more likely to get them right than during improvisation.

And most of all: relax. My friend got a far lower mark than she should have because she panicked and rambled about an unrelated topic. If you start to feel stressed, take a deep breath and concentrate on the question. I always play with my hair during speaking exams as I find it calming to have something to do with my hands.

I hope this helped and good luck!
    Laura

ReputationRep:
    Oh and yes, present subjunctive is very good, especially if irregular. I like: "il fault qu'on fasse plus pour sensibiliser les gens aux...(dangers de l'alcool, etc)"

ReputationRep:
    I've been advised to use 'interesting sentence starters' for my oral on Monday, but I'm not sure what this 'list' includes... Help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahiseni)
    I've been advised to use 'interesting sentence starters' for my oral on Monday, but I'm not sure what this 'list' includes... Help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Bonjour, mes amis! Haha.

I have my French oral on FRIDAY (EEEEKKK) and I'm so nervous! What Ive been doing is going to the room I will sit in for the exam every morning and doing a 'mock' exam with myself - and I'm not sure if it's helping atm, will have to see when I get there! I can speak to myself in French okay, but I'm scared I will forget. In my mock I tried to concentrate on the question but then I take too long to answer and my teachers just moved on. I barely answered anything and I'm really worried because I SO want to get an A in this exam!

Interesting oral exam starters can be like 'je pense que' or 'je crois que' or 'c'est vrai que' I know my teacher told me this is an excellent way to give opinions.

If anyone knows any others, please do list them here!! (WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER...!)

And what is the subjunctive?! How do you use it?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahiseni)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Autant que je sache - as far as I know (easy subjunctive to remember)
    Si vous voulez mon opinion - if you want my opinion
    Je dirais que - I would say that
    A mon avis = d'après moi = selon moi

ReputationRep:
    thanks my exam is tomorrow im stressing sososososososoo much anyone know what stimulus cards came up?!!? and what if i dont understand the examiner!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImprintMeJacob)
    thanks my exam is tomorrow im stressing sososososososoo much anyone know what stimulus cards came up?!!? and what if i dont understand the examiner!!
    How was it? Hope it went well!

I am literally cramming for my nominated topic and revising all the vocab and re-reading the textbook. Pray for an A!

ReputationRep:
    Gah I'm panicking too! I'm alright I guess with Listening and Reading, it's the writing and then obviously... the oral! Our college hasn't done much speaking AT all which is terrible! We've only just got a french speaker to do conversations with us and my accent is terrible and when I try to say things that I know make sense, she just stares at me like, "child... what is this rubbish coming out of your mouth?" or just doesn't get my humour. I don't want to sound like a robot in my exam nor a hard core northerner. Oh god When I practice alone I speak really well, but with company... NOPE!
    I cannot deal with this urgh no. I feel like I'm not learning any vocabulary, we've been learning everything in the dullest way possible. Does anyone know a good way to revise vocab since the main thing is fluency? :s
    My mock is on Tuesday
    On a more useful note, some phrases we use in class are:
    il me semble que = it seems to me that
    a mes yeux = in my eyes (but there's been debate over this with our french teacher :/)
    Je pense que = i think that
    Je crois que = i believe that

Or, when talking about the card and the question is 'de quoi s'agit il', you can say:
    il s'agit... = it's about...
    il s'agit le fait que... = it's about the fact that...
    La carte pose la question... = the card poses the question...

Gah!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 27, 2013

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.