Turn on thread page Beta

Pregnant Teachers watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok, Im not going to try an enrage all you budding feminists out there so Ill keep this simple.

Don't you think it is completely ridiculous how teachers become pregnant when the are teaching at a school. My chemistry teacher is currently 3 months pregnant and has become completely absent minded ever since she became "up the duff".

Today we spent 45mins of a lesson learning something which was complelely unnessasary to what we are required to learn and even during that time she was teaching the wrong information, as in incorrect information.

I think all teachers should have the common courtesy to have children before or after they begin teaching, or their maternity leave should begin as soon as they become pregnant. It will save our education being disrupted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    Ok, Im not going to try an enrage all you budding feminists out there so Ill keep this simple.

Don't you think it is completely ridiculous how teachers become pregnant when the are teaching at a school. My chemistry teacher is currently 3 months pregnant and has become completely absent minded ever since she became "up the duff".

Today we spent 45mins of a lesson learning something which was complelely unnessasary to what we are required to learn and even during that time she was teaching the wrong information, as in incorrect information.

I think all teachers should have the common courtesy to have children before or after they begin teaching, or their maternity leave should begin as soon as they become pregnant. It will save our education being disrupted.
    Was she a biology teacher?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Was she a biology teacher?
    Chemistry, as I wrote.

ReputationRep:
    Well the issue is whether they are teaching to an acceptable level. If that isn't the case, then maybe there is an argument for them not to be teaching.
    But i've had alot worse than that from non-pregnent teachers, so i don't know how much there actually is there to take issue with.

ReputationRep:

I kind of agree. We had a music teacher at high school (bizarre Leics system though so it was between ages of 11 and 14) who was pregnant when we started, taught us for a couple of months, went of on maturnity leave for the rest of the year, came back the following year and was pregnant again before Easter and spent the whole time running out of the lesson to trhow up with morning sickness, then was on maturnity leave again for our final year. Very disruptive. We had at least 4 different teachers (on of the supplies got sacked for being drunk at school!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Well the issue is whether they are teaching to an acceptable level. If that isn't the case, then maybe there is an argument for them not to be teaching.
    But i've had alot worse than that from non-pregnent teachers, so i don't know how much there actually is there to take issue with.
    The issue is quite serious given exams start 10 weeks away and we still have quite a bit of the syllabus to cover. she is normally a very good teacher, and its actually quite shocking the way she is teaching and the style of her teaching.
    Her hormones are running crazy and so shes acting crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    I kind of agree. We had a music teacher at high school (bizarre Leics system though so it was between ages of 11 and 14) who was pregnant when we started, taught us for a couple of months, went of on maturnity leave for the rest of the year, came back the following year and was pregnant again before Easter and spent the whole time running out of the lesson to trhow up with morning sickness, then was on maturnity leave again for our final year. Very disruptive. We had at least 4 different teachers (on of the supplies got sacked for being drunk at school!)
    Thats the thing, and then it get worse when a replacement teacher arrives. Given that there is a national shortage of teachers as it is, firstly we're stuck with supply teachers for a few weeks and then when sombody is found it often takes a number of weeks for them to actually get some good quality teaching started. By which time its too late.

ReputationRep:
    The issue is quite serious given exams start 10 weeks away and we still have quite a bit of the syllabus to cover. she is normally a very good teacher, and its actually quite shocking the way she is teaching and the style of her teaching.
    Her hormones are running crazy and so shes acting crazy.
    Well, if your used to good teaching, then yes, it is a problem.
    Have you made a point to her or the institution about it?

ReputationRep:
    If the quality of their teaching is suffering as a direct result of their pregnancy, then they need to evaluate whether they're really doing the best thing in staying on. However, to suggest that teachers should not have children whilst working is very sexist, and returns us to the old belief that women should stop having a career as soon as they start a family. I'd hardly call it "common courtesy" to expect people to disrupt their entire life, possibly losing their career, just to accommodate your views.

I am sure there are lots of people who would like more maternity leave. However, it simply isn't available under the current government rules, so what else can you expect? Being pregnant isn't a disease, there's no reason why you should have to stop working just because of it.

ReputationRep:
    Thats the thing, and then it get worse when a replacement teacher arrives. Given that there is a national shortage of teachers as it is, firstly we're stuck with supply teachers for a few weeks and then when sombody is found it often takes a number of weeks for them to actually get some good quality teaching started. By which time its too late.
    Can you not put this to the attention of the principle, or perhaps the student representatives? It is very improtant and something that must be sorted out.

ReputationRep:
    My history teacher is pregnant but she doesn't want to abandon us when the exams are so close, her teaching is brilliant - her pregnancy not affecting her teaching at all.

ReputationRep:
    Not yet. The thing is we don't want her to lose her job as she is a very very good teacher normally. But at the same time, we only get one shot at these exams.

The reason why we won't tell the senior managment at our school is becuase last year in a similar situation, within weeks of the teacher being reported she was made redundant on the grounds of being unfit to teach. We don't want this to happen.

ReputationRep:
    Not yet. The thing is we don't want her to lose her job as she is a very very good teacher normally. But at the same time, we only get one shot at these exams.

The reason why we won't tell the senior managment at our school is becuase last year in a similar situation, within weeks of the teacher being reported she was made redundant on the grounds of being unfit to teach. We don't want this to happen.
    Speak to her in confidence.

ReputationRep:
    Can you not put this to the attention of the principle, or perhaps the student representatives? It is very improtant and something that must be sorted out.
    Well being Deputy Head Boy, I already sit on the school council and this issue has been discussed generically. However it is an issue that the government needs to address, not the school.

ReputationRep:
    It isnt her fault she is teaching the way she is (well its kind of both hers and her husbands/boyfriends). Her hormones are probably going mad and she doesnt even know how to do the simplest of tasks let alone teach chemistry! But its not your and your classmates faults either and it is unfair for your education to be disrupted especially at a crucial stage. You could have a sensitive word with your head of year, it wouldnt have to go any further and he/she would be able to end your worries.

ReputationRep:

It is a very serious issue. Would you like a sneezing/coughing surgeon operating on your heart? No you wouldn't. Exams are very important. Admitedly in school we use to love having substitute teachers, as we use to mess about all the time. However when you get into college, exams are the very things that will get you into a good uni, and by having that jepodised through no fault of your own, is unacceptable.

ReputationRep:
    It is a very serious issue. Would you like a sneezing/coughing surgeon operating on your heart? No you wouldn't. Exams are very important. Admitedly in school we use to love having substitute teachers, as we use to mess about all the time. However when you get into college, exams are the very things that will get you into a good uni, and by having that jepodised through no fault of your own, is unacceptable.
    Very well said.

My Economics teacher is heavily pregnant, and lets just say, it's a bit of a put off when she wears smaller tops etc. *shudders*

ReputationRep:
    Correct. But then my class are in two ways of thinking.

1 - We could just the work ourselves and not rely heavily on her as we are all very academically able, and confident we can pass the exams without her indepth guidence.

2 - We could report her, which would end in her suspension from teaching for a certain period of time. This would be pretty bad as she is a brilliant teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Very well said.

My Economics teacher is heavily pregnant, and lets just say, it's a bit of a put off when she wears smaller tops etc. *shudders*
    Well my teacher is very conservative so she just wears loosely fitting jumpers.

ReputationRep:
    I have very strong opinions on bad teachers. Teachers should realise what a massive effect they have on people's lives and not take their position lightly.

You can't sack someone for being pregnant - that's an awful thing to suggest. If she's a bad teacher the rest of the time she should be sacked, but if her standards are slipping because of her pregnancy she should take early maternity leave if she can. You should also try to be lenient and understanding. Getting a substitute teacher in might be really disruptive.

Perhaps one of the class should have a quiet word with her.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.