Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Everyone is just sitting there with their jaws on the ground.
    (Bhaal for example)

Ok just for the record, I was ingaged to be married, and the wedding was in the planning stages before I became pregnant.
    Riiiiiiggggghhhhhhhhttttt!

I'm not judging you.

Oh, did you hire a wedding planner by chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)

I'm not judging you.

Oh and another question, your not a teacher, are you?

ReputationRep:
    do pregnant students get the same rights as pregnant teachers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
    do pregnant students get the same rights as pregnant teachers?
    Eh? More depth required? Do you mean things such as maternity leave and such?

ReputationRep:
    maternity leave is a relavant factor; but coming into school whilst pregnant - i don't think they're allowed to come in at all, imagine a pregnant 16 year old in a class - unthinkable, but a pregnant teacher is seemingly more agreeable,

perchance i've got it completely and utterly wrong - if someone would care to enlighten me if i am ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)

I'm not judging you.

No really I was.

Yeah and he ran off with her after he found out I was pregnant!
    (Ok so that part didn't happen. )

It wasn't going to be a big wedding, so I was planning it all myself with alittle help from my aunt and his sister. Was going to make a bigger deal out of the reception and go to the bahamas for the honeymoon, so we wanted to keep the wedding itself as inexpensive as possible.

And no I'm not a teacher, would you look at me differently if I was?

ReputationRep:
    my friends sister was in school until she was 7 months gone - then she left had the baby and then when the baby was a few months old she went to a special school for mothers with babies (they work lesser hours and can provide some sort of childcare I think) until she finished her GCSEs.

Its fine for sixth form too.

ReputationRep:
    oh and one of the girls I was at uni with did her finals a week before her baby was due. So it doesnt affect everyone.
    Although my one friend tells me that her memory has gone since shes given birth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    oh and one of the girls I was at uni with did her finals a week before her baby was due. So it doesnt affect everyone.
    Although my one friend tells me that her memory has gone since shes given birth.
    Yep that comes from the baby keeping you up all night, and if she's anything like me not being able to sleep when the baby is asleep cause that's the only time you can get things done.

ReputationRep:
    Yep that comes from the baby keeping you up all night, and if she's anything like me not being able to sleep when the baby is asleep cause that's the only time you can get things done.
    Thats why I'm never having kids (unless by accident) give me a cat over a baby any day. My friends kids scare me and I can give them back, they never sleep and if you turn your back for a second they are either eating something they shouldnt, drawing on something they shouldnt, falling over or something worse. My one friend is so lucky her little boy barely ever cries sleeps through everynight since day one, and he just grins all the time bless him but you cant guarantee they'll all be like that. I'm completely lacking in maternal instinct maybe it'll kick in at some point but it hasnt showed signs of happening yet.

ReputationRep:
    Thats why I'm never having kids (unless by accident) give me a cat over a baby any day. My friends kids scare me and I can give them back, they never sleep and if you turn your back for a second they are either eating something they shouldnt, drawing on something they shouldnt, falling over or something worse. My one friend is so lucky her little boy barely ever cries sleeps through everynight since day one, and he just grins all the time bless him but you cant guarantee they'll all be like that. I'm completely lacking in maternal instinct maybe it'll kick in at some point but it hasnt showed signs of happening yet.
    I think it kicks in when you realise you pregnant if not then it does after birth, you'd be surprised. I felt the same way before I got pregnant but when I realised I was going to have a baby it started to feel natural, allthough I admit that in the hospital I was afraid to even change her diaper at first for fear I'd hurt her, let alone give her a bath before leaving, I made the nurse do it for me, I told I wasn't sure how to do it properly. After awhile though it all becomes second nature.

ReputationRep:
    I think it kicks in when you realise you pregnant if not then it does after birth, you'd be surprised. I felt the same way before I got pregnant but when I realised I was going to have a baby it started to feel natural, allthough I admit that in the hospital I was afraid to even change her diaper at first for fear I'd hurt her, let alone give her a bath before leaving, I made the nurse do it for me, I told I wasn't sure how to do it properly. After awhile though it all becomes second nature.
    How old is she?

ReputationRep:
    How old is she?
    She just turned 3.

ReputationRep:
    My bestmate has a 3 year old boy and a 5 year old girl and they are brilliant but a big handful her mum looks after her little boy in the day and her little girl goes to school so my friend can go to college in the day, but i know that she finds things such as homework assignments a huge struggle and it doesnt help that her boyfriend rarely helps out, or if he does its because he feels guilty about something. I think shes brilliant for coping with a family and studying at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    My bestmate has a 3 year old boy and a 5 year old girl and they are brilliant but a big handful her mum looks after her little boy in the day and her little girl goes to school so my friend can go to college in the day, but i know that she finds things such as homework assignments a huge struggle and it doesnt help that her boyfriend rarely helps out, or if he does its because he feels guilty about something. I think shes brilliant for coping with a family and studying at the same time.
    Yeah, I'm lucky to have my mom, she helps me so much. I have the same problem with studying I usually put it off until she's in bed for the night. My neighbor has 2 little girls one just a month younger than mine and one a year older so she goes nextdoor to play for a couple of hours each day so that helps. When she's home it takes forever for me to get stuff done, at least I'm not gaining weight from sitting at the comp all day, I swear I can't sit here for longer than 5 mins and I'm up to stop her from getting into things or getting her something to eat. Well now you all know why I'm such a slow poster.

ReputationRep:
    well I just thought you were a slow typer like me lol.

ReputationRep:
    Jeez, I hate it when guys think they have any idea what the female body goes through through the course of it's life. When you guys have carried a child then feel free to say something about being 'absent minded' in class. Jeez! Should teachers be allowed to teach, yeah! Thats like saying should men be allowed to teach when they go through a mid-life crisis...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Jeez, I hate it when guys think they have any idea what the female body goes through through the course of it's life. When you guys have carried a child then feel free to say something about being 'absent minded' in class. Jeez! Should teachers be allowed to teach, yeah! Thats like saying should men be allowed to teach when they go through a mid-life crisis...
    Just to clear a few things up, firstly it is not only men who co through, "mid-life crisis' " , women go through similar situations but it is just not as widely known.

Secondly, I was simply making the observation that many teachers who fall pregnant often, in my experience, fall below an acceptable teaching standard. Yes, maybe not all teachers experience this, but it is way to risky to let a pregnant teacher teach students, especially before they are about to sit A'levels, one of the most important exams in our lives to date. The effect this could have on us is catastrophic, from people falling below what they should be achieving, to people not getting the grades to enter their required course, all of which are life changing events as they will undoubtably cause knock-on effects for the rest of our lives.

Is all that hassle neccasary for the sake of being politically correct, and equal to pregnant women?

ReputationRep:
    Well would you like to pay for 9 month maternity leave for all teachers, not to mention all the compensation pay-offs when they sue for discrimination?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Well would you like to pay for 9 month maternity leave for all teachers, not to mention all the compensation pay-offs when they sue for discrimination?
    Given the amount of taxes we are required to pay which is continually rising, I would not object to paying for this leave if it meant that students were getting the best form of education throughout their educational life.

Also, if this became mandatory, there would be no discrimination "pay-offs" as it would be in the interest of both the students and the teacher, and she would be getting paid at the end of the day.
    Alternatively, is she still wanted to work, she could be given a part-time role in the school until after her maternity leave.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.