Turn on thread page Beta

Pregnant Teachers watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    Ok, Im not going to try an enrage all you budding feminists out there so Ill keep this simple.

Don't you think it is completely ridiculous how teachers become pregnant when the are teaching at a school. My chemistry teacher is currently 3 months pregnant and has become completely absent minded ever since she became "up the duff".

Today we spent 45mins of a lesson learning something which was complelely unnessasary to what we are required to learn and even during that time she was teaching the wrong information, as in incorrect information.

I think all teachers should have the common courtesy to have children before or after they begin teaching, or their maternity leave should begin as soon as they become pregnant. It will save our education being disrupted.
    That wasn't the way it happened at our school. My RE teacher became pregrant three times and she still managed to teach us the righht things. And so did her replacements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    That wasn't the way it happened at our school. My RE teacher became pregrant three times and she still managed to teach us the righht things. And so did her replacements
    My form tutor was pregnant and she still carried on with excellent teaching and was the lovliest teacher. So i think its wrong ur saying they shouldnt have families until they finoished career or before they started, why should they put their life on hold, i agree something should be done about it but i dont think they shouldnt be allowed to teach ... (or something like that im confusing myself lol)

love kita xx

Oh and hi Mr Dude xx

ReputationRep:
    I always found at school, we often speculated if a teacher was pregnant. This only happened on one occasion, the rest of the time they were just getting fat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kita)
    My form tutor was pregnant and she still carried on with excellent teaching and was the lovliest teacher. So i think its wrong ur saying they shouldnt have families until they finoished career or before they started, why should they put their life on hold, i agree something should be done about it but i dont think they shouldnt be allowed to teach ... (or something like that im confusing myself lol)

love kita xx

Oh and hi Mr Dude xx
    Hi yourself kita, xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    I always found at school, we often speculated if a teacher was pregnant. This only happened on one occasion, the rest of the time they were just getting fat
    There are ways of telling whether it's just fat or pregnancy. It's a different kind of body shape.

Mad Caddie, I can't believe you're suggesting mandatory maternity leave for all pregnant teachers! That would practically take us back to the Victorian times when women became hermits when they got pregnant, and only emerged after the baby was born. Pregnancy is natural, why should they stop their lives because of it. Other people have already suggested you speak to the teacher, so do that and stop suggesting ridiculously overblown measures on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)

Mad Caddie, I can't believe you're suggesting mandatory maternity leave for all pregnant teachers! That would practically take us back to the Victorian times when women became hermits when they got pregnant, and only emerged after the baby was born. Pregnancy is natural, why should they stop their lives because of it. Other people have already suggested you speak to the teacher, so do that and stop suggesting ridiculously overblown measures on here.
    I agree, its absurd to suggest that pregnant teachers shouldn't be allowed to teach. I you think teachers should be banned from teaching, you wouldn't stop until Doctors, nurses, police officers - anyone who was pregnant, was of the streets.

ReputationRep:
    we had a french teacher who was heavily pregnant just before xmas, she would always say that she was boiling hot and would open all the windows so we would freeze to death (december for gods sake!!) and then she taught us lots of information that was wrong and when we all used it in our mocks b4 xmas we all got poorer marks than we shud have because the stuff she told us wasnt right, and our cover french teacher told us it wasnt right. huh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    I agree, its absurd to suggest that pregnant teachers shouldn't be allowed to teach. I you think teachers should be banned from teaching, you wouldn't stop until Doctors, nurses, police officers - anyone who was pregnant, was of the streets.
    You are taking what I said, way too much out of context, and taking it to an extreme.
    Firstly, in response to the post by Helania, I was asked for my oppinion on how to solve the situation and I gave it. Just becauase I have been offered advice by other users it does not mean that the thread can not continue and diversify.
    Secondly, as the post by poowpoow shows, the effect of having teachers who are incabable of mantaining high standards of teaching is way too detrimental to students. You CANNOT risk peoples education just to be socially correct.

In response to your post jammyd, you are simply taking what I said way out of preportion. Its really annoying when fellow forum users insist on sensationalising others comments. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I doubt many women have much choice about how much time they can have or can afford to have off work. You can't get that much paid maternity leave anyway, and most women would rather spend time WITH their baby so don't take it off til the end of the pregnancy. So whilst they could probably take the pregnancy off, they wouldn't be paid & having children is v.v.expensive so i doubt they'd want to!!

You think a pregnant woman would really WANT to be in a school for 9 months if she could have it off and not experience financial difficulties cos of it?

Seriously.. teachers have lives. There are worse teachers than pregnant ones anyway. Chill!!

ReputationRep:
    My GCSE geography teacher got pregnant last year but carried on teaching us. She was ace, i really miss having her as a teacher. When she was pregnant she was the same as ever, a really good teacher. She's on maternity leave but apparently coming back in september, which is great because at the moment i have a crap teacher for part of my AS geog course so i'll get my old teacher back for A2 hopefully. I feel as if i am going to fail my physical geog exam because of this crap teacher we have instead of her.

I definitely do not agree that teachers should give up as soon as they become pregnant - most career women will want children at some time or another, it's a natural thing.

At the moment we suspect that our biology teacher is pregnant, and hope so too, as she is the worst teacher i have ever come across, god knows why she is head of a level bio. So if she's preg then i wont have to suffer another year of her (thats if i carry on with bio anyway).

ReputationRep:
    In the past, two of my teachers were pregnant, and I still managed to get straight A's in those subjects, the class percentage went up as well. Perhaps MaD Caddie has just had a strange run in.

You cant force those teacher to give-up their jobs!

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely wrong to say that female teachers should have given birth before they join the teaching career. It's nonsensical. What if they decide to have another children in the midst of the career? Are they suppose to quit?

Anyway, that aside, I think the question that one should ask is, whether will their standard of teaching falls below that of the reasonable standard of teaching?

If it doesn't, they should continue their teaching till maybe when they find difficulty in their movements (i.e. the 8th or 9th month when their baby is about to be due).

On the contrary, it is the students that should show more understanding towards the pregnant teachers.

ReputationRep:
    The issue is quite serious given exams start 10 weeks away and we still have quite a bit of the syllabus to cover. she is normally a very good teacher, and its actually quite shocking the way she is teaching and the style of her teaching.
    Her hormones are running crazy and so shes acting crazy.
    what exams! SATS!!! theyre not exams theyre just assessments...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    what exams! SATS!!! theyre not exams theyre just assessments...
    Had you taken the time to appreciate that my profile is a load of *******s then you would reaslise that I was actually not sitting SAT's. If you were also intelligent enough to read many of the posts I have posted this would also be apparent.

ReputationRep:
    If you were also intelligent enough to read many of the posts I has posted this would also be apparent.
    Hahaha, that's the funniest thing I've read all day. Haha, I think we have a new Stupid Member Quote of the Week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Hahaha, that's the funniest thing I've read all day. Haha, I think we have a new Stupid Member Quote of the Week!
    Was it the mistake in grammer? Well, small things impress feeble minds.

ReputationRep:
    Was it the mistake in grammer? Well, small things impress feeble minds.
    You amuse me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    You amuse me.
    No ****?

ReputationRep:
    hehe.. you guys are so cute.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.