The Student Room Group

internship in New York; need advice & help!

hi everyone.

so iv decided i want to do an internship in new york. i have a degree in business management. been working for a year and seeing as i have family who are willing to put with me, i will stay with them. but what will i need to find out about before anything? i have no idea how the
-sponsorship
-working visa etc works and what else should i be considering?

hope someone can help!
O
Original post by O_money
hi everyone.

so iv decided i want to do an internship in new york. i have a degree in business management. been working for a year and seeing as i have family who are willing to put with me, i will stay with them. but what will i need to find out about before anything? i have no idea how the
-sponsorship
-working visa etc works and what else should i be considering?

hope someone can help!
O

One of the most basic things is that you will need to apply for a J1 Visa for Interns.
http://j1visa.state.gov/programs/intern/

You will need your Intern Sponsor and you have to answer a whole bunch of questions and provide documents.
http://j1visa.state.gov/participants/common-questions/

Get cracking as soon as possible, the visa process can be slow. :smile:
Reply 2
so do i have to apply for the visa even though i have not got the internship yet and as i am still applying? and also, does the company have to sponsor me or can my family sponsor with whom im staying with?

Thank you for the info!
:biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by O_money
so do i have to apply for the visa even though i have not got the internship yet and as i am still applying? and also, does the company have to sponsor me or can my family sponsor with whom im staying with?

Thank you for the info!
:biggrin:

You need the company sponsor (the "internship sponsor"), without that you have no chance of the Visa.

Check out the FAQs I linked to, they answer all the points.
Reply 4
Thank you! :^)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending