The Student Room Group

Advice Needed for a Confused PG Applicant!! Please!

Hello,
I am an international student and I have a BSc. and a MSc. degree on Mechanical Engineering. In order to find a job in UK, I would like to study a second MSc. Is it logical? :confused:
I have offers to study Renewable engineering in September 2013 intake.

Nottingham,

Manchester,

Loughborough,

Brunel,

Durham,

Cardiff,

Newcastle

Can you give me any advice regarding these universities?

I have been searching and searching. However I can't make up my mind. Like everybody I would like to find a job eventually, so is it crucial that the course has accrediation? Brunel, Cardiff and Durham have accrediation, but Nottingham doesn't.

I like the scope of Nottingham's program but I heard from different sources that Nottingham is not a very nice place to live? I hear that it is not a very secure place? Do you aggree?

I eventually would like to live in London (who doesn't?). Do you think it is more sensible for me to study in Brunel? Is the engineering department of Brunel is good or should I avoid it? Lots of conflicting ideas about Brunel's engineering department quality. Though, I hear that their career department is great. Is it really?

I am sorry about the questions. But any advice will be greatly appriciated.
Reply 1
[QUOTE="bonibon;42350435"]Hello,
I am an international student and I have a BSc. and a MSc. degree on Mechanical Engineering. In order to find a job in UK, I would like to study a second MSc. Is it logical? :confused:

Nottingham,

Manchester,

Loughborough,

Brunel,

Durham,

Cardiff,

Newcastle

I have been searching and searching. However I can't make up my mind. Like everybody I would like to find a job eventually, so is it crucial that the course has accrediation? Brunel, Cardiff and Durham have accrediation, but Nottingham doesn't.

I like the scope of Nottingham's program but I heard from different sources that Nottingham is not a very nice place to live? I hear that it is not a very secure place? Do you aggree?

I eventually would like to live in London (who doesn't?). Do you think it is more sensible for me to study in Brunel? Is the engineering department of Brunel is good or should I avoid it? Lots of conflicting ideas about Brunel's engineering department quality. Though, I hear that their career department is great. Is it really?

I am sorry about the questions. But any advice will be greatly appriciated.[/QUOTE
Actually Nottingham is a great place to live. Son has been there for four years and loves the place. Don't listen to these stories.
Reply 2
Original post by bonibon
Hello,

Nottingham,

Manchester,

Loughborough,

Brunel,

Durham,

Cardiff,

Newcastle

I am sorry about the questions. But any advice will be greatly appriciated.

The motivation for a second masters degree being to get a job - is it because you want to change your field, or because you think if you are studying in the UK it will be easy to stay on and get a job?
Reply 3
As an international student , your chances of getting a job INSIDE the UK are very very very limited. Sorry about that Pal !
Reply 4
Original post by sj27
The motivation for a second masters degree being to get a job - is it because you want to change your field, or because you think if you are studying in the UK it will be easy to stay on and get a job?

It's a little bit of both really. But mostly cause I can find a proper engineering job in UK. Is it unusual? It sure is an expensive decision :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by bonibon
It's a little bit of both really. But mostly cause I can find a proper engineering job in UK. Is it unusual? It sure is an expensive decision :biggrin:

It's getting much harder to get a visa to stay on after your studies have been completed. This could be an expensive mistake if that is your main motivation...
Reply 6
Here's something from Manchester about working after studying. You need an employer to sponsor you, and you need to get it sorted out before your student visa expires.
http://www.careers.manchester.ac.uk/students/international/ukworkafterstudy/tier2visa/
I'd venture to say the uni would put as positive a spin on it as they can as they are trying to attract international students for the fees they can charge them...

Note that UKBA says "The Tier 2 (General) category is for foreign nationals who have been offered a skilled job to fill a gap in the workforce that cannot be filled by a settled worker." Given that EU residents have right to work in the UK it is harder for those gaps to be found for internationals. It can be done of course, but I'd suggest you look very carefully into the jobs market in your intended area and how easy it is to get employer sponsorship before making the move.
Reply 7
Original post by sj27
Here's something from Manchester about working after studying. You need an employer to sponsor you, and you need to get it sorted out before your student visa expires.
http://www.careers.manchester.ac.uk/students/international/ukworkafterstudy/tier2visa/
I'd venture to say the uni would put as positive a spin on it as they can as they are trying to attract international students for the fees they can charge them...

Note that UKBA says "The Tier 2 (General) category is for foreign nationals who have been offered a skilled job to fill a gap in the workforce that cannot be filled by a settled worker." Given that EU residents have right to work in the UK it is harder for those gaps to be found for internationals. It can be done of course, but I'd suggest you look very carefully into the jobs market in your intended area and how easy it is to get employer sponsorship before making the move.

Thank you for the information.

Original post by psychedelicious
I second and third this. It's very hard to get a job after graduating here so you can stay in the country.

I will (hopefully) have a dependant visa which allows me to work without any limitations. But I guess you will still say it's not possible to find a proper engineering job? Regardless of the university that I will be graduating from or my CV?

Do career centers of unis do nothing for international graduates? :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by bonibon
I will (hopefully) have a dependant visa which allows me to work without any limitations. But I guess you will still say it's not possible to find a proper engineering job? Regardless of the university that I will be graduating from or my CV?

Tier 1 Post-Study Work Dependent Applications are now closed, so I don't think that route exists any more.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/working/tier1/poststudy/dependantapplications/
It might be worth double-checking before committing the money.

Regardless of your home country, jobs are very difficult to come by in the UK at the moment. A Masters doesn't give any particular guarantee. There's precious little a uni careers service can do other than offer advice on CV wrting and interview technique, if there are no jobs to be had. Your best bet is to find a uni with excellent industry links, although on a one-year course there will be very limited opportunities to network or gain work experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending