The Student Room Group

RE Christian Perspectives Paper 2A OCR

Am I correct in believing that the OCR RE paper tomorrow is only on Marriage & Divorce, Birth & Death and Prejudice & Equality.

1. If so can anybody give me any tips on how to get my marks up in RE. In the mocks I got a C :eek: I wrote all the stuff that was write but my teacher told me that I had not included enough 'religious material'? I am not religious myself so i dont really know of by heart any Bible quotes, so could anyone tell me how to get my marks up? What sort of things should you include?

2. What is the exam structure? Is it one essay type question for each of the three units?

thanks
Reply 1
Sorry I forgot, does anyone have a quick revision guide that goes over the main areas. thanks again
Reply 2
you taking short or long course? I'm only taking Paper 1 and doing the short course , its 2 hours, are you?
Reply 3
I am doing short course and taking two papers both 1hr
erm i am doing short course as well, the same paper 2morrow.

For the BEST answers, and according to the mark scheme, this is how they mark " mark according to quality of discussion".

This basically means, your argument must be thought through, with reasons and justifications- there is no right and wrong, for A* marks you need to CONSIDER DIFFERENT VIEWPOINTS

For this paper, where the question mentions anything about CHRISTIAN, you MUST RELATE THE answer to this- it should get you VERY HIGH marks.

Example- here is an 5 mark OCR question and mark scheme-

' only god has the right to take life' Do you agree/disagree. You must show that you have thought about Christianity in your answer

The markscheme states what might be included- you express the standard christian view, but EXPECT DISCUSSION TO BE ALTERNATIVELY BASED
MARK ON QUALITY OF DISCUSSION

From this, you can see there is no right answer, you MUST show a christian viewpoint and REASONS and try to show WHY ANOTHER POINT OF VIEW (the question was related to euthanasia) e.g. the person suffers lots and deserves to be put out of pain and misery

IF YOU BACK UP YOUR ARGUMENT, YOU WILL GET TOP MARKS!!!!
for Christianity, if you can include a quote from the Bible then this will further reinforce your arguement (these can be found on BBC BITESIZE) and you are on the way to an A*!!!!

I think the 'hot topics' for this year are going to be

- marriage
- abortion
- racism

(but its only a guess- so revise them all)

Wishing you the best of luck!! :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for that. It is very useful and I should bare it in mind.

Do you know what the layout of the paper will be? thanks
yes i do!! (this is from a sheet given to me by my teacher). I will also give an example of a question for each-

Each QUESTION has three parts: ( out of the paper you ALL answer question 1, and then you answer only ONE additional question out of a choice of usually 3) ALL QUESTIONS ON THE PAPER ARE STRUCTURED LIKE BELOW

Part A- (8 marks)- You need to give lots of information about what christians believe

examples- (a) Give an account of biblical teaching which Christians might use in forming thier views about racism

or (b) Describe biblical and church teaching about Euthanasia

Part B) (7 marks) is about the effects of these beliefs on a christian. Try to think as a many different christian opinions as you can ( Roman catholics, The Church of England)

examples-

example 1- Explain how a couple's christian faith might affect the way they bring up children

example 2- explain how christians might put thier beliefs about Euthanasia into action

part c of each question-5 marks. This section IS ALWAYS IN THE FORM OF A QUOTE

it then ALWAYS gives you the following instructions

- DO YOU AGREE?
-GIVE REASONS FOR YOUR ANSWER
- SHOW THAT YOU HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT DIFFERENT POINTS OF VIEW
- YOU MUST REFER TO CHRISTIANITY IN YOUR ANSWER

examples of this are-

- 'only god has the right to take life'- do you agree? give reasons for your answer....

example 2- 'friendship is just as important as love in a marriage'. Do you agree? give reasions for your answer.......

I hope this has been of some help! (a bit confusing)

Once again, wishing you all the best of luck in the exam. I am hopefully going for an A*- its suprisingly easy if you learn the main points and give your own viewpoint. you will only get top marks if you relate things to christianity!!!

Good Luck! :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks very much for your help. It is the same layout as my mock so I understand what you mean. I know the facts pretty well and as long as I can get enough Christian ideas in and what churches think in I should be alright. RE is not my strongest subject as I really have no interest in it, so I would be ahappy with a B/A:smile:

thanks for the help
Reply 8
Guys, don't worry about the R.E Short course, seriously! I got an A* in it last year, and that was by practicisng a some essay questions and reading over my notes before the exam. The most important thing is isnluding some quoets and explaining their relevance.

I'm doing my R.E Long Course exam tomorrow, so wish me luck!

Latest