The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham or Warwick? I urgently need your opinion, guys!

Hello guys!!!

I really have NO idea whether to choose Warwick over Durham or Durham over Warwick. The course I have chosen in both unis is PPE.

I would appreciate it if you let me know what you believe!

Thanks in advance, and good luck with your choices (or studies).

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liberty_
Hello guys!!!

I really have NO idea whether to choose Warwick over Durham or Durham over Warwick. The course I have chosen in both unis is PPE.

Well, what kind of factors would help or hinder your decision?

I'm from Durham so I know the area.

Durham is a fantastic university, and a huge name to boot.

That said you shouldn't really choose a university based on how others see it, you should base it on how you see it.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hello guys!!!

The thing that really made a big difference for me was the environment you'll be living in - I really didn't get on with the campus feel of Warwick, while Durham's countryside feel, and everything being in walking distance was lovely.

Although there was also the minor disincentive that my dad suggested if I went to Warwick he could drive up and take me to the pub every weekend. :eek:

In any case, if you haven't, I'd really suggest visiting the two universities to get a feel for the place, because that's probably the biggest difference between them.
Reply 3
Hello guys!!!

As someone who used to live near Coventry, I am amazed that anyone would choose to go to Warwick University, unless they were basing their decision solely on the course/uni, with no interest in the area the uni was located.

The uni should really have originally been called Coventry University, although the poly has now adopted that name. Coventry is a real ****hole, which most students avoid like the plague. Most therefore try and live in Leamington Spa in their second year which means a 20+ minute bus ride to the uni.

So an easy choice in my opinion - Durham.
Reply 4
Original post by ilickbatteries
Well, what kind of factors would help or hinder your decision?

I'm from Durham so I know the area.

Durham is a fantastic university, and a huge name to boot.

That said you shouldn't really choose a university based on how others see it, you should base it on how you see it.

I agree with you, it's given that I have not had the chance to visit Durham, I'm more or less calculating that they will be the same to me - in their different ways. Do you happen to know which one of them two is considered the "better"? I know that's perhaps a bit unimportant since they're both fantastic, but at this point I deem it the only means of differentiation. Thanks!
Reply 5
Thanks for your reply. Durham really seems to be a "fairytale-like" countryside. And that's pretty interesting! I've also heard that it's 10 min away from Newcastle, which is pretty tempting as well.
Reply 6
Original post by Awoodrow2
The thing that really made a big difference for me was the environment you'll be living in - I really didn't get on with the campus feel of Warwick, while Durham's countryside feel, and everything being in walking distance was lovely.

Although there was also the minor disincentive that my dad suggested if I went to Warwick he could drive up and take me to the pub every weekend. :eek:

In any case, if you haven't, I'd really suggest visiting the two universities to get a feel for the place, because that's probably the biggest difference between them.

Thanks for your reply. Durham really seems to be a "fairytale-like" countryside. And that's pretty interesting! I've also heard that it's 10 min away from Newcastle, which is pretty tempting as well.
Reply 7
Original post by powderhound
As someone who used to live near Coventry, I am amazed that anyone would choose to go to Warwick University, unless they were basing their decision solely on the course/uni, with no interest in the area the uni was located.

The uni should really have originally been called Coventry University, although the poly has now adopted that name. Coventry is a real ****hole, which most students avoid like the plague. Most therefore try and live in Leamington Spa in their second year which means a 20+ minute bus ride to the uni.

So an easy choice in my opinion - Durham.

Thanks for the reply. I just thought that since Warwick is a campus-based uni, whether you're having fun or not suggests on the activities inside the campus, and not the place the uni is located in. I've heard that Students' Union organizes much stuff and students generally tend to have a lot of fun. However, this may all be rumours or one's personal opinion. Have you heard anything about the ways students have fun there?
Reply 8
Hello guys!!!

You're obviously going to get a biased answer if you're posting in the Durham section.

I think Warwick is second best to Oxford in terms of PPE.
Having been a student at both universities, the student life at Durham, in my opinion, is 100x that of Warwick.

At Durham you're in a nice small city with everything you need, lots of shops, lots of good restaurants, with the chance of going to Newcastle if you want and the beach in summer! Warwick campus is a small concrete place about half the size of Durham but with a couple of shops and crap restaurants. You need to go to Leamington to get anything good - but Leam is worse than Durham, and lots worse than Newcastle...which is closer to Durham than Leam is to Warwick Campus, if you get my drift...

Also the collegiate nature of Durham means that I think it is much easier to get involved in societies, sports, music etc. as it is available at many levels.

Biased maybe...as I personally despise Warwick and never really appreciated how great Durham was until I left.

I wouldn't base your decision on how good the course is though, although that's probably the only way in which Warwick Uni is better than Durham for PPE. Employers really dont care or look at rankings...and Durham is the same standing as Warwick overall, if not better.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
PPE is partly responsible for making sure that politicians know a little bit about a lot which helps when they may be assigned to any department. But it doesn't mean that any PPEist is more likely to be a great philosopher or great economist than someone taking a the single honours in those subjects. Although they may be more likely to be a successful (note: not necessarily 'great') politician ...

Overall, if you're not doing it Oxford it probably doesn't massively matter where you're doing it anyway. Durham's only really greatly ranking for Philosophy out of those constituent subjects.

Warwick's probably regarded as slightly better for PPE 'on paper'.
Warwick has that social sciency reputation whereas Durham is more well known for old classicist type subjects and science subjects and just for generally being a place where 'jolly good chaps and chapesses' from public school and well ranking grammar schools go.
So either way it may be more important to get in to a particular social circle (if you can) rather than, say, at a redbrick where people tend to try to gel together regardless of their perceived social class and subject orientation.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'd suggest that you go for Durham. It's a beautiful and prestigious university. Although you have posted in the Durham University forum, so I'd expect quite a lot of answers to the same effect :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by Lunch_Box
You're obviously going to get a biased answer if you're posting in the Durham section.

Biased answers are not that bad, after all it may reflect some experience. Thanks for your impartiality though, really appreciate it.
Reply 13
Original post by one2three_abc
Having been a student at both universities, the student life at Durham, in my opinion, is 100x that of Warwick.

At Durham you're in a nice small city with everything you need, lots of shops, lots of good restaurants, with the chance of going to Newcastle if you want and the beach in summer! Warwick campus is a small concrete place about half the size of Durham but with a couple of shops and crap restaurants. You need to go to Leamington to get anything good - but Leam is worse than Durham, and lots worse than Newcastle...which is closer to Durham than Leam is to Warwick Campus, if you get my drift...

Also the collegiate nature of Durham means that I think it is much easier to get involved in societies, sports, music etc. as it is available at many levels.

Biased maybe...as I personally despise Warwick and never really appreciated how great Durham was until I left.

I wouldn't base your decision on how good the course is though, although that's probably the only way in which Warwick Uni is better than Durham for PPE. Employers really dont care or look at rankings...and Durham is the same standing as Warwick overall, if not better.

Thanks for your useful answer. Student life is clearly important and I will definitely take your advice into account.
Good luck with your studies! Or work. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by spacemenrule94
I'd suggest that you go for Durham. It's a beautiful and prestigious university. Although you have posted in the Durham University forum, so I'd expect quite a lot of answers to the same effect :wink:

Haha, never mind; that's also useful. Thanks for your answer and good luck with whatever you do.
Reply 15
Original post by Picnic1
PPE is partly responsible for making sure that politicians know a little bit about a lot which helps when they may be assigned to any department. But it doesn't mean that any PPEist is more likely to be a great philosopher or great economist than someone taking a the single honours in those subjects. Although they may be more likely to be a successful (note: not necessarily 'great') politician ...

Overall, if you're not doing it Oxford it probably doesn't massively matter where you're doing it anyway. Durham's only really greatly ranking for Philosophy out of those constituent subjects.

Warwick's probably regarded as slightly better for PPE 'on paper'.
Warwick has that social sciency reputation whereas Durham is more well known for old classicist type subjects and science subjects and just for generally being a place where 'jolly good chaps and chapesses' from public school and well ranking grammar schools go.
So either way it may be more important to get in to a particular social circle (if you can) rather than, say, at a redbrick where people tend to try to gel together regardless of their perceived social class and subject orientation.

I really appreciate the fact that your answer clearly reflects your opinion.
PPE is not about a lust for success in power politics. It is not a degree exclusively for politicians. It is a course that MAY reflect a genuine love for three overlapping disciplines, none of whom a student could relinquish in her university level studies (in order to do a single course).
Thanks for the advice on Durham; however, I did not quite understand your comment on the social circle and redbrick.

Thanks again.
Reply 16

Thanks for the advice on Durham; however, I did not quite understand your comment on the social circle and redbrick.

Thanks again.

I'll include Leicester University where I have studied although it's not a typical 'civic'-style (often Northern) university where you'd have a really huge main building such as Nottingham.

In my opinion, these tend to be integral to the character of the city which they are on. They may seem to stand proudly out in that city as if they are entwined with the very industry of that city.

I just reckon that, for the socially conservative/shy (like I was), redbricks are the best bet. They can offer a sense of ego-boosting old school grandeur in a pleasingly condensed area with interesting architectural variety that might be missing from the relatively low scale 60s era campuses which, in some eyes can seem beautiful and spacious places but to others can seem otherwordly and homogenous as places to live even if interesting to view as a tourist. And slightly ironically the best 60s buildings tend to be at the older pre-1960 universities- or maybe they seem that way with other styles to contrast against.

I like to create posts about the effect of architecture on university experience from time to time but others sometime say that it has less bearing on them. But if it didn't have some bearing many arts students might as well be at the Open University I suppose.
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks for the reply. I just thought that since Warwick is a campus-based uni, whether you're having fun or not suggests on the activities inside the campus, and not the place the uni is located in. I've heard that Students' Union organizes much stuff and students generally tend to have a lot of fun. However, this may all be rumours or one's personal opinion. Have you heard anything about the ways students have fun there?

In your first year, your social life will centre on campus, and you would undoubtedly have fun at Warwick, despite the fairly depressing campus architecture. However, from the second year your social life would depend more on where you live, which hopefully will not be in Coventry!

At Durham you would have a much more closely knit, college-based social life throughout all years, even when you live out in the second year, and you can head for the clubs of Newcastle if that is what you want.
Reply 18
Original post by Lunch_Box

Not especially.

York is perhaps best known, after Oxford, and arguably offers the more cohesive course. But, really, there's little between York, Warwick and Durham - all three offering the strongest programme outside Oxford.

Warwick will be stronger in economics, but they are much of a sameness otherwise. Really course content (Durham being one of the few universities in the UK offering a balance of analytical and continental philosophy, for example - although having said that I think Warwick are also decent in continental), alongside student life, will be deciding factors.
I agree with you, it's given that I have not had the chance to visit Durham, I'm more or less calculating that they will be the same to me - in their different ways. Do you happen to know which one of them two is considered the "better"? I know that's perhaps a bit unimportant since they're both fantastic, but at this point I deem it the only means of differentiation. Thanks!

On here, the consensus seems to be that they're 'better' for different things. Warwick seems to be very highly regarded for mathematics and technology, whereas Durham seems to be more highly regarded for subjects such as PPE, Law, History, English etc.

They're both fantastic universities and whichever you choose, you won't be let down with employers because of where you went to university.

The difference between them isn't the same as, say, the difference between a generic ex-poly and a generic redbrick. Although the extent to which there is a true difference between universities is overplayed on here anyways.

If you have a 2:1 in a degree that's employable, for most jobs it's about what you studied, your experience and your interview. I accept however that there are jobs that are very elitist and favourable to graduates from the upper echelons of the higher education system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending