Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys....i'm a gcse student right now and am planning to do maths and 3 sciences in A level. thinking of going to medicine later on. but now i'm not too sure. i'll have to get atleast an A to get into the medical college and by the looks of it, A level is really hard. If you did similar courses to mine, could you please tell me what grades you got in both gcse and A level. i wanna check if i'm in the right track to do get an A. People who didn't do similar courses can also post advices.
    i'm considering on doing maths in uni....is there anyone who knows jobs that are linked with maths....perhaps an alright paid one
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Shrestha)
    hey guys....i'm a gcse student right now and am planning to do maths and 3 sciences in A level. thinking of going to medicine later on. but now i'm not too sure. i'll have to get atleast an A to get into the medical college and by the looks of it, A level is really hard. If you did similar courses to mine, could you please tell me what grades you got in both gcse and A level. i wanna check if i'm in the right track to do get an A. People who didn't do similar courses can also post advices.
    i'm considering on doing maths in uni....is there anyone who knows jobs that are linked with maths....perhaps an alright paid one
    thanks
    If you want to do med, and given your many posts today on the med school guide board you do, then Phook maths. Knuckle down and work towards medicine....

ReputationRep:
    Maths - Computational research, Numerical research, Number theory, Spaces, etc. Employers from IBM, Microsoft and other similar companies will worship you if you were an expert on something like that. Prime number study and similar things are worshipped even more. Do a maths degree, then a postgrad related to that sort of thing and pick who you want to work for.

ReputationRep:
    Banks will love a statistician (with a maths degree). It shows your logical reasoning is emmence. Pricing of derivatives is very highly paid, but much harder to get into as there are far too many people coming out of economics degrees and there aren't enough jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Have heard of ACTUARIAL
    which sounds really a good career (but long way to go)
    I really want to be an acturial
    (hope not just in my dream)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No2)
    Have heard of ACTUARIAL
    which sounds really a good career (but long way to go)
    I really want to be an acturial
    (hope not just in my dream)
    Its actuary.

ReputationRep:
    Same thing - another spelling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Shrestha)
    thanks
    Don't let anyone tell you that A-level is really hard, if they think that, then they picked the wrong subjects. A-levels are obviously harder than GCSEs, but you're learning more. It's the same as before you started GCSEs when people told you GCSEs were really hard.

I say do the maths and three sciences

I did Maths, physics, biology and economics at AS, got all As. At GCSE I got A* for maths and biology and A for physics, didn't do economics. You'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Don't let anyone tell you that A-level is really hard, if they think that, then they picked the wrong subjects.
    That activates my hilarity unit.

A-levels are obviously harder than GCSEs, but you're learning more. It's the same as before you started GCSEs when people told you GCSEs were really hard.
    I disagree. The step up from KS3 to GCSE is very small. The step up from GCSE to AS is huge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDoh)
    That activates my hilarity unit.

I disagree. The step up from KS3 to GCSE is very small. The step up from GCSE to AS is huge.
    Not really, the homework load might get a little heavier but they're not chucking you in the deep end.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot feel any 'step'

actually i feel that GCSE is harder than A-Level

You get to choose what you Like in A-Lvl and in GCSE you NEED to choose things that you hate (i.e. language) which i can never get an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etomac)
    I cannot feel any 'step'

actually i feel that GCSE is harder than A-Level

You get to choose what you Like in A-Lvl and in GCSE you NEED to choose things that you hate (i.e. language) which i can never get an A
    Oh god yeah, i detested languages. Now proclaiming that you can't get an A right now, is not going to do you any good is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Not really, the homework load might get a little heavier but they're not chucking you in the deep end.
    I still maintain that the work is a lot more difficult. I mean I hardly paid any attention in classes at GCSE and came out with A's and A*'s. I tried that at AS for a few months until I realised it wasn't working - I couldn't do a lot of what we were taught.

The difference is that you have to work at AS/A. Well that's the difference for me anyway. I'm sure there are people who can glide through it like they did for GCSE just as there are those that had to work hard at GCSE and AS/A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDoh)
    I still maintain that the work is a lot more difficult. I mean I hardly paid any attention in classes at GCSE and came out with A's and A*'s. I tried that at AS for a few months until I realised it wasn't working - I couldn't do a lot of what we were taught.

The difference is that you have to work at AS/A. Well that's the difference for me anyway. I'm sure there are people who can glide through it like they did for GCSE just as there are those that had to work hard at GCSE and AS/A.
    That's a good point

However the difference is that at A level you're picking the subjects you find most easy and enjoy.

I agree with you to some extent, I paid sweet FA attention in english and language classes, didn't revise, yet somehow stumbled out with As. If I'd had to do them for A level then I'd be screwed to be it lightly.

If she likes maths and found it easy at GCSE (gets an A*), then she should find it easy at AS.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.