Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I have nothing intelligent to add to the argument <is drunk>. So instead I will just:

*cough* Cambridge *cough*
    I think it says a lot about this forum that people will log on even when they are drunk and could be putting the units of alchohol to use having a good time elsewhere. Hm...or is it that you need to be drunk?

Oh well, nice of you to drop by Blissy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldthrashbarg)
    I think it says a lot about this forum that people will log on even when they are drunk and could be putting the units of alchohol to use having a good time elsewhere. Hm...or is it that you need to be drunk?

(Original post by oldthrashbarg)

Had curry, dvds and wine with bf. Bf has fallen asleep (lightweight) so I resort to the internet. Good typing still.

p.s. be quiet, can't wake sleeping beauty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebrittzditz)

2. Oxford vs Cambridge - Although I can't answer for the UK, in the US it's definately Cambridge. This, again, has little to do with facts, statistics, or even reality, but reputation. Even in books like "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, representative of America in many ways, Gatsby was an "Oxford man" just b/c that sounds like the most prestigious university you can go to.
    read again. change one of the oxfords to cambridge or vica versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    They obviously dont have the history of Oxbridge, and I'd personally say they dont have the prestige. A lot of American's despite their might still have a complex about not having the history Britain has, you can tell with American archaelogists compared to British ones if you have ever watched one of those programmes my dad watches on Discovery.
    I probably should have qualified it to meaning only my subject, I think Oxbridge is probably still superior in most humanities. Though for something like compsci you can't really get a better reputation than MIT, deservedly or not.

ReputationRep:
    As an American I have a lot to say on these issues.........though before you all begin judging, believe me, I'm one of the most anti-American Americans I know, and I'm in NYC.

1. When I've mentioned to people in the US that I'm even applying to Oxford, people are shocked. The general conception is that while Harvard and Yale are very prestigious, Oxford is just in another class within itself, more than just prestigious....it's a world class university. Most people aren't aware of the Oxbridge professors being suctioned across the Atlantic, and of the difference in funds available, so really Oxford is always considered superior. Maybe sometime in the future these facts may catch up with reputation, and roles may switch - but a 1000 year history of excellence is not easily overcome, and Harvard and Yale were created in America trying to model themselves after Oxbridge, in hopes of attaining a fraction of the prestige associated with them. Saying you go to an Ivy League school is great but you can picture overachieving, doing-everything-so-that-they-can-make-an-ivy students with no real talent going there, while at Oxford you picture the future Nobel Prize winners, esp in humanities subjects (probably b/c the funding does influence science/math research here) and the future Charles Dickens'. Stereotypes and reputations and hype abound, but there you have it.

2. Oxford vs Cambridge - Although I can't answer for the UK, in the US it's definitely Oxford. This, again, has little to do with facts, statistics, or even reality, but reputation. Even in books like "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, representative of America in many ways, Gatsby was an "Oxford man" just b/c that sounds like the most prestigious university you can go to.

3. An above quote by oldthrashbarg (see first page of discussion - joke about americans' perception of history) needs to be addressed - not to stand up for my country, as I don't really have much I feel I can be proud of at the moment - but just in defense of stereotypes/judgements in general.

While I definitely understand where this is coming from, I do see some danger in saying things like this. This quote, although cracking me up for quite a few minutes, is an exaggerated representation of an small but unfortunately existent part of our population. I'll admit our country does often come off as disrespectful of history, tradition, and facts altogether.

Last summer I spent a few weeks in Cambridge paying out of the nose for a program specially designed to attract Americans who wanted to be able to say they went to "Cambridge" and then went on trips to see Buckingham Palace. I went knowing this, but knowing it was also my only chance to get my parents to let me go to the UK (in other words please don't suppose me ignorant of being used for my $ - which, unlike most of the people in the program, does not amount to much - my dad is a teacher in a horrible public/state-run high school: salary = tiny) This program also happened to attract some of the more ignorant but richer kids from the South and Midwest. My memories of those few weeks: HELL. I loved Cambridge, I loved the people who lived in Cambridge, I loved studying there, but ironically my experience was killed by having to dorm with those people. It was like dorming with George Bush x 800, in female form. I felt more at home with the British that I met than the Americans I had to live with. The level of ignorance and stupidity amazed me, and I guess living in NYC my whole life, while being exposed to a more worldly culture, I was also sheltered from the horrors of American ignorance.

So I do easily understand the perception as stated above, I just want people to be wary of over-stereotyping Americans - if only for the people on the coasts' sakes (mostly NY/Massachussetts/California - where we're actually aware of the fact that theres a world beyond North America.) Also I'm an AP history student - so I do have a slightly deeper understanding of history than what's stated above.

Understanding enough to notice that, ironically and fairly symbolically, we spend nearly as much time studying the mere 250 years of history America has as we do spend studying the entire world's history (1 year American, 2 years world, in high school anyway)

Yes, I'm rather ashamed of my country, for a multitude of reasons.

ReputationRep:
    ooops.....Tom Holder you're right - fixed it in the last post - wasnt aware i posted the first half of that long speech already

(Original post by thebrittzditz)
    3. An above quote by oldthrashbarg (see first page of discussion - joke about americans' perception of history) needs to be addressed - not to stand up for my country, as I don't really have much I feel I can be proud of at the moment - but just in defense of stereotypes/judgements in general.

While I definitely understand where this is coming from, I do see some danger in saying things like this. This quote, although cracking me up for quite a few minutes, is an exaggerated representation of an small but unfortunately existent part of our population. I'll admit our country does often come off as disrespectful of history, tradition, and facts altogether.

Last summer I spent a few weeks in Cambridge paying out of the nose for a program specially designed to attract Americans who wanted to be able to say they went to "Cambridge" and then went on trips to see Buckingham Palace. I went knowing this, but knowing it was also my only chance to get my parents to let me go to the UK (in other words please don't suppose me ignorant of being used for my $ - which, unlike most of the people in the program, does not amount to much - my dad is a teacher in a horrible public/state-run high school: salary = tiny) This program also happened to attract some of the more ignorant but richer kids from the South and Midwest. My memories of those few weeks: HELL. I loved Cambridge, I loved the people who lived in Cambridge, I loved studying there, but ironically my experience was killed by having to dorm with those people. It was like dorming with George Bush x 800, in female form. I felt more at home with the British that I met than the Americans I had to live with. The level of ignorance and stupidity amazed me, and I guess living in NYC my whole life, while being exposed to a more worldly culture, I was also sheltered from the horrors of American ignorance.

So I do easily understand the perception as stated above, I just want people to be wary of over-stereotyping Americans - if only for the people on the coasts' sakes (mostly NY/Massachussetts/California - where we're actually aware of the fact that theres a world beyond North America.) Also I'm an AP history student - so I do have a slightly deeper understanding of history than what's stated above.

Understanding enough to notice that, ironically and fairly symbolically, we spend nearly as much time studying the mere 250 years of history America has as we do spend studying the entire world's history (1 year American, 2 years world, in high school anyway)

Yes, I'm rather ashamed of my country, for a multitude of reasons.
    Our college always has americans staying over summer (as do most i think) and its legendary for people who get stuck her simply because they are so damned loud and obnoxious. Funniest thing this year was an american girl had to go ask for a room change. Her reason? our college is very old...and with that we have quite tight staircases. She was so fat (im talking 30 stone here) that she couldn't feasibly fit through a staircase. in fact she was so big she couldnt stay in most rooms, and there was a disabled girl already in the 'wdie door' room. had to stay in a house out of college
    J

ReputationRep:
    Our college always has americans staying over summer (as do most i think) and its legendary for people who get stuck her simply because they are so damned loud and obnoxious. Funniest thing this year was an american girl had to go ask for a room change. Her reason? our college is very old...and with that we have quite tight staircases. She was so fat (im talking 30 stone here) that she couldn't feasibly fit through a staircase. in fact she was so big she couldnt stay in most rooms, and there was a disabled girl already in the 'wdie door' room. had to stay in a house out of college
    J
    Hahahahahaa

It's disgusting how fat our country is - 68% overweight, 33% obese.......and still "supersizing" our mickey d portions. I usually wouldn't laugh at one poor girl like that but the sad thing is shes increasingly representative of america - either really disturbingly large - or anorexic and on a combination of coffee, cigarettes, and/or speed.

I've got to say when I was england i was disturbed when I realized how much smaller your portions are over there - we may have all you can eat buffets - but it shows!

Just add it to the ever growing list of american flaws....

ReputationRep:
    but i must add that i was at cambridge over the summer and....yeah i'm pretty loud sometimes (took a while to adjust from screaming over the sound of the subway and downtown nyc traffic)...just hopefully not obnoxious!

the saddest thing about the programme i was in over the summer was that we were forced to spend so much time with the people in our dorms (even on the trips, etc) that wen i called my parents they thought i got on the wrong plane - i had developed a slight texan accent (think george dubya) - ewwwww! double obnoxious!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I think that is true in the international world. Most people in countries far away have heard of Oxford but not Cambridge.
    Hmmm...my friend did her Gap year in Ghana, and when people heard she was going to university when she got back to the UK, they'd ask "Oxford or Cambridge?" So she had to explain, yes, she was going to Cambridge, but there were other universities in the UK as well.

Dunno why Oxford is more prestigious in the US, when Cambridge is easily as good. I could get annoyed about this, but it would be pointless.

Had a good night then, Blissy?

(Original post by Helenia)
    Hmmm...my friend did her Gap year in Ghana, and when people heard she was going to university when she got back to the UK, they'd ask "Oxford or Cambridge?" So she had to explain, yes, she was going to Cambridge, but there were other universities in the UK as well.

Dunno why Oxford is more prestigious in the US, when Cambridge is easily as good. I could get annoyed about this, but it would be pointless.

Had a good night then, Blissy?
    its because they admit more yanks, and give more honoury degrees to yanks. o and they now have a yank studys department too
    and they accept a lot of yank president's daughters to study there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    its because they admit more yanks, and give more honoury degrees to yanks. o and they now have a yank studys department too
    and they accept a lot of yank president's daughters to study there
    Hmmm, flattery will get you anywhere...

ReputationRep:
    Now why is this being discussed?

probably for the same reason why claims the oxbridge are better than another pop up everynow n then...

I have applied to both Ivy league uniz n Oxford.. and I have recently withdrawn my apps for the 1st, not that i believe oxford, even Balliol for ppe, is a much better place than harvard or yale.. - i actually fancied stanford more than these two- , but it's just the place for me.... or so i think!

Systems are different... culltures are different... history is different.... places are different.... - what part of Masachusettes is MIT and Harvard in again? ..Cambridge! - ..
    Y don't we all just find wa suits as best , where we can get the best out of ourselves in... n go for it...!

Just like how some like coffee others like tea , some like ladiez, n otherz r benders... we will juss differ on this matter as well...

It's a bit of a shame that there is a massive funding gap between oxbridge, n ivy leagues... one if not solved we would be finding an answer for this question with less arguments..
    Somethin has to be done.. even if it means fees are not controlled by the gov anymore.... which in my point of view should be done...!

anyhow,
    i rest my case...
    peace...

ReputationRep:
    Here's an excerpt from a memorable scene in Frasier Series 5:

Frasier is chatting to a man called Clint. Frasier has just mentioned that he studied at Harvard:

FRASIER: Well, I'm sure the school you went to was just as good.
    CLINT: I went to Oxford.
    FRASIER: Oh, well, even better.

Yes, even though the top American universities have more money, Nobel Laureates etc., I believe Oxford and Cambridge are the most prestigious seats of learning in the world. I think the Americans hold Oxbridge higher than Harvard, Yale and Princeton etc.

J.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)

Frasier is chatting to a man called Clint. Frasier has just mentioned that he studied at Harvard:

Yes, even though the top American universities have more money, Nobel Laureates etc., I believe Oxford and Cambridge are the most prestigious seats of learning in the world. I think the Americans hold Oxbridge higher than Harvard, Yale and Princeton etc.

J.
    I agree with you about the prestigious influence the Oxbridge name has round the world even if American universities have a bigger research budget. Rolex does not care how many features Casio watches have or how bigger the company is.

ReputationRep:

J.
    Didn't Frasier goto Oxford though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Didn't Frasier goto Oxford though?
    No. He only spent a year there. Or so I'm told...

ReputationRep:
    even though the top American universities have more money, Nobel Laureates etc., I believe Oxford and Cambridge are the most prestigious seats of learning in the world. I think the Americans hold Oxbridge higher than Harvard, Yale and Princeton etc.
    That may well be the case but British universities can't go on forever relying upon their prestige without having any substance to back it up. The funding here just isn't sufficient for them, and although they may be able to hold onto their world class reputation at the moment I can't see that being the case for very much longer without a drastic overhaul of university funding.

ReputationRep:
    but the students are campaigning avidly against the very funding that will make the universities rich, and able to attract talent once again...

(just making conversation here... no need to get all hot and bothered)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    but the students are campaigning avidly against the very funding that will make the universities rich, and able to attract talent once again...

(just making conversation here... no need to get all hot and bothered)
    But that's just the thing. It quite blatantly isn't the answer to the funding problem, and even universities themselves have admitted that. Top-up fees are a short-term quick fix which probably won't put any money back into the system anyway.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.