Turn on thread page Beta

Oxbridge Vs Top Tier American Unis watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm quite aware of that rule because I was accepted at Trinity (which doesn't mean anything, but I've researched the place). However, it is essentially meaningless-and he could have stayed if he had wanted to. He has been contemplating moving back to Harvard, where he had begun his career, and has stated that he preferred the environment, for a long time. The irony. YOU cut the ******** before launching into angry, clueless posts.

And to an earlier poster: It is true that academic careers here are much more cut-throat. But tenure-track and research positions offer much better research, freedom, support and resources.

(Original post by adxj220)
    Yes, I'm quite aware of that rule because I was accepted at Trinity (which doesn't mean anything, but I've researched the place). However, it is essentially meaningless-and he could have stayed if he had wanted to. He has been contemplating moving back to Harvard, where he had begun his career, and has stated that he preferred the environment, for a long time. The irony. YOU cut the ******** before launching into angry, clueless posts.

And to an earlier poster: It is true that academic careers here are much more cut-throat. But tenure-track and research positions offer much better research, freedom, support and resources.
    You seem to have merged the posts from two people into one.
    I made the irnoy comment, and euroamerizan made the bullsh*t comment

and i have 2 points
    1) What sort of person researches how long a master is allowed to be in charge of a college before applying. I had never even heard of the post before coming here. Had never heard of Dean, President or Senior Tutor posts either.

2) Masters are outed at 70 years old. You can't stay, those are the rules. And here in Cambridge if we make a rule, we stick by it.
    Of course he was going to go back to Harvard. He wouldn't have had a decent position here anymore, so he might as well go back to an old reliable post
    J

ReputationRep:
    MIT...it's not a great name, but can't do much about that.
    MIT is just an acronym for "Massachusetts Institute of Technology", just like UCL in England.

I can't believe that no one has pointed this out before. To say that it's a silly name and thus dismiss it as being "crap" is very, very weird and ignorant.

I think this has become a really senseless thread, so just stop making fallacious arguments. Everyone can choose whatever uni they wish over another.

ReputationRep:
    This argument is really stupid. American universities are completely different to British ones, and people seem to be confusing quality of research with the undergraduate experience. At all major world universities undergraduates are not a top priority, so it doesn't matter all that much which of the 'top' universities you got your first degree from. All universities can offer something different, and it's up to each individual to decide what they actually want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    You seem to have merged the posts from two people into one.
    I made the irnoy comment, and euroamerizan made the bullsh*t comment

and i have 2 points
    1) What sort of person researches how long a master is allowed to be in charge of a college before applying. I had never even heard of the post before coming here. Had never heard of Dean, President or Senior Tutor posts either.

2) Masters are outed at 70 years old. You can't stay, those are the rules. And here in Cambridge if we make a rule, we stick by it.
    Of course he was going to go back to Harvard. He wouldn't have had a decent position here anymore, so he might as well go back to an old reliable post
    J
    1) It came up in the course of my web searches. I didn't go searching for it. Oh and I meant it was ironic that euroamerazn called my comment bullsh*t, when his comment was actually unfounded.

2) I believe I had adressed your second point already. Please refrain from making obtuse/jingoistic remarks about "making rules, and sticking by them." And what do you mean he wouldn't have a decent position anymore? He's a nobel laureate and Trinity master, and could easily obtain a variety of posts, if not remain master. He went back to Harvard for a rather ordinary professorship, but more for the environment. Another example of "the brain drain".

Let me footnote this by saying, again, that i have a lot of respect for Cambridge. It's one of the best unis in the world. But I realize, objectively, that its on the decline (comparatively speaking).

1) It came up in the course of my web searches. I didn't go searching for it. Oh and I meant it was ironic that euroamerazn called my comment bullsh*t, when his comment was actually unfounded.

2) I believe I had adressed your second point already. Please refrain from making obtuse/jingoistic remarks about "making rules, and sticking by them." And what do you mean he wouldn't have a decent position anymore? He's a nobel laureate and Trinity master, and could easily obtain a variety of posts, if not remain master. He went back to Harvard for a rather ordinary professorship, but more for the environment. Another example of "the brain drain".

Let me footnote this by saying, again, that i have a lot of respect for Cambridge. It's one of the best unis in the world. But I realize, objectively, that its on the decline (comparatively speaking).
    You said he could have stayed. he couldn't (in the position he was) and at cambridge they don't give very good positions to people over a certain age. I know because it happpen to a guy in the anatomy department. Reach a certain age and bam, you're gone.
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    You said he could have stayed. he couldn't (in the position he was) and at cambridge they don't give very good positions to people over a certain age. I know because it happpen to a guy in the anatomy department. Reach a certain age and bam, you're gone.
    J
    Was that a guy who used to be something to do with Clare? Think he interviewed me, but he's had to retire now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tarrygon83)
    How does Oxbridge compare with the top tier American Unis like Harvard, Princeton, Yale, MIT and Caltech? Some say that Oxbridge has lost out to them while others still prefer Oxbridge. However, one thing is certain- they are much more financially endowed than all the UK unis, even Oxbridge.

A trend is emerging, whereby scholars flock to American Unis instead of Oxbridge because they feel that American Unis are better now than UK ones.
    The undergraduate education is entirely different: far broader. Depends which suits you. UK students know more about their subject when they come out; US students have a broader outlook.

Personally, I had my Harvard, Yale, MIT, Caltech and Princeton forms all filled out: they were ready to send if I didn't get into Oxford. It would have been far, far more expensive though. If I had been able to afford it, I would have gone there anyway cos I love breadth, but ultimately Oxford is at least as good and I can go later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tarrygon83)
    How does Oxbridge compare with the top tier American Unis like Harvard, Princeton, Yale, MIT and Caltech? Some say that Oxbridge has lost out to them while others still prefer Oxbridge. However, one thing is certain- they are much more financially endowed than all the UK unis, even Oxbridge.

A trend is emerging, whereby scholars flock to American Unis instead of Oxbridge because they feel that American Unis are better now than UK ones.
    1.Oxford
    2.Harvard, cambridge

the rest are just very rich,that's all

ReputationRep:
    Why oxford? Where I am cambridge win by a mile, i know very few people that applied to oxford instead of cambridge. Perhaps that's something to do with most of the people i know being mathematicians/scientists.

ReputationRep:
    Question - what's the teaching like at Harvard/Yale etc?

One of the big things for me about going to Oxford was the tutorial system. The chance to have SERIOUS experts teaching me for an hour, quite often one on one, was a BIG draw for me.

So if it is mostly seminar based across the pond, then in my mind that might tip the balance towards the UK. But as I said, I've not a clue how the system works there.

Lizzylou
    x

ReputationRep:
    Hmm foolfarian don't bother reading my post because your 5-year old tantrum mentality makes any attempt at logical argument useless. It's like saying cambridge sucks because it was founded by oxford rejects...

For those who are interested in knowing more about USA top-tier schools:

It is a VERY different system: in England you would be studying exclusively your course and usually little else. In places like MIT/Harvard etc. you are accepted direct into the university! (there are some exceptions eg: you wanna do engineering at Columbia, but this is the usual rule) Once you enter you choose courses to take (equal roughly to a module at oxbridge) and as you continue you get more and more courses until you have fulfilled a requirement to major or minor in a subject. Don't worry to major in chem for example you would have to take some very intense chem course so your degree would be roughly equal to a British one.

However what I like is that you are also given the opportunity to study other subjects aside your major (eg: I would like to major in chemistry/biochemistry WITH a minors in east asian studies for I want to learn Japanese ). So in my opinion if you are DEAD CERTAIN of what subject you want to read and loathe everything else Oxbridge is the best path, but if you may be interested in having a slightly broader education (in fact all USA colleges require you to do a significant number of courses in different disciplines - both scientific and artistic) you should consider American universities.

As for prestige, any argument is absolutely useless. If you graduate from MIT with honours it would make absolutely no difference if you had graduated with a first class degree from Cambridge - employers would be in the palm of your hand either way. Oxbridge is basically identical in prestige to the best USA colleges, comparison serves little purpose. Remember that in both countries these are places the vast majority can only dream of!

If you are looking for some more detailed differences in quality between, for example, Cambridge and MIT, I can attempt to help as much as possible, but at the end of the day it's what's right FOR YOU that matters. Judging from the CMI exchange and those participants opinions, both unis provide an equally fab education. At Cambridge however, there is more emphasis on personal attention, and you study more theory than at MIT; at MIT there is more raw power (they have a budget that easily eclipses Cambridge's - I am talking four fold here) and more opportunities for research and the likes. Although Cambridge has much less cash, I hve to say that rooms at cambridge would easily be twice the size if not bigger than mit rooms. In general accodomodation in USA colleges is worse, scratch maybe harvard.

If you are thinking about applying already, or if I have swayed you I would advise for you to take your SAT1 and if you get 1450+ (out of 1600) you should seriously consider applying. As for money, the major disadvantage are that these school are VEEERY pricy (I am talking in the region of 40 grand a year! for everything together) so in England you definately get "more bang for your buck", but if you are very poor or very rich this should be ok, because most schools like MIT guarantee to finance you if you are deemed unable to pay your fees (it is annoying though you havee to submit tax returns and all).

I emphasise that a degree from harvard/yale/mit would carry no more or fewer benefits than one from cambridge, and the only difference is one of opinion.

Lizzylou the teachers are usually great because they tend to hire the best for lots of money. There is nothing like tutorials, but the normal procedure is that you VERY often meet and chat with your professors when you get homework back or when you have problems; e-mail is also much more prevalent there form what I hear(if you are very very shy this is bad ) and usually you are forced to study and correct problems in your course very often (in fact your final grade depends a lot on the work you put out all throughout the course). One very big problem is sometimes professors ( I heard this about Harvard from a friend) care much more about their graduate students and don't put in as much time for you, but in places like Princeton undergraduates are given unlimited attention.

Nissa I don't agree with you, maybe for sheer prestige you are correct, but undergraduate education is probably the most highly regarded at princeton and so that would hold the number 1 spot. On the other hand, it is very dependent on the course/major you choose.

Omer I was about to say the same thing about MIT Wow this only took 10 min to type I hope it helped most people in "the grey area".

ReputationRep:
    MIT is the best Uni in the world thats for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Well I wouldn't kill to do graduate English there or anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wagamuffin)
    Well I wouldn't kill to do graduate English there or anything
    What you mean at MIT? Don't think they offer it - its only sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    What you mean at MIT? Don't think they offer it - its only sciences.
    MIT has HASS

ReputationRep:
    Yes it has HASS (humanities, arts and social sciences). Ironically, the subjects you are required to choose regardless of major are mainly HASS subjects! (i think something like 8 hass vs 6 science or something) Also weird that you have to do sports :eek: I'd never survive!

ReputationRep:
    And if there is something you want to do and can't do it at MIT, you can always go over to Harvard

ReputationRep:
    Top World Universities

1 Harvard Univ USA 100 100 100 100 100 68.7
    2 Stanford Univ USA 83.5 76.2 88.2 73.8 72.2 80.5
    3 California Inst Tech USA 76.3 72.9 68.0 64.1 52.0 100
    4 Univ California - Berkeley USA 74.0 75.0 70.3 76.1 72.8 51.8
    5 Univ Cambridge UK 73.4 91.1 58.0 56.4 69.3 68.7
    6 Massachusetts Inst Tech USA 70.6 79.4 67.3 66.3 63.9 53.5
    7 Princeton Univ USA 62.5 60.5 60.7 51.9 47.0 72.4
    8 Yale Univ USA 61.1 49.2 57.1 58.1 63.5 58.2
    9 Univ Oxford UK 59.5 53.3 45.9 57.2 66.2 55.6
    10 Columbia Univ USA 59.1 64.5 49.2 50.9 68.5 43.4
    11 Univ Chicago USA 57.0 87.1 43.5 45.3 54.2 36.6
    12 Cornell Univ USA 56.9 57.3 57.1 46.0 66.6 39.2
    13 Univ California - San Francisco USA 55.3 41.6 57.1 60.1 60.9 39.2
    14 Univ California - San Diego USA 54.4 14.2 58.0 59.8 67.5 55.2
    15 Univ California - Los Angeles USA 53.8 37.3 58.0 48.0 78.0 30.3
    16 Univ Washington - Seattle USA 50.3 34.4 57.1 46.6 76.7 20.5
    17 Imperial College Sci Tech Med UK 50.1 42.2 41.0 37.4 66.9 46.9

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/rank-2003.mht

ReputationRep:
    That list should settle most of peoples questions. Basically, the US dominates, at least 3 UK universities are world class, California does very well, but theres nothing from any country except the USA and UK :confused:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.