The Student Room Group

TSR Muscle Building Society For Men V8

Scroll to see replies

Wanting to switch to oly lifting, does anyone have suggestions for a routine/ books to read? Looking to train 3/4 times a week. I guess more is possible (might have to reduce taekwondo sessions if that was the case) Would like to keep some aesthetics work (e.g. arms, chest) in somewhere, either chucked in at the end of sessions, or all together as an extra workout at the weekend.
Gym is going well for me at the moment, I've been going for about 8 months now and I'm seeing massive improvements. One thing which slightly worries me is at the gym I see people who are similar sizes to me, but are more toned/defined. I can't see that happening with me, I'm just getting bigger at the moment. I would also like to cut down on abdominal fat because I feel that they are letting me down at the moment. I don't have the best diet in the world, so I'm wondering if I keep this up will I be big but quite a bit of fat? Or will it naturally cut down from my workout?
It's often surprising to people just how much weight they have to lose to get lean.
Hey guys, i'm looking at how many calories i need to be intaking to bulk up.

I'm starting a full time retail job tomorrow (going to be 12-8 5 days a week) and was looking at this http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/ as an indicator of gaining weight. My BMR is 1934 - what i was wondering is what sort of level of activeness would this retail job put me at. Obviously i will be on my feet for 7.5 of the 8 hours, in terms of exercise it is 10 minutes walk there and back too. How many calories should i be consuming and what sort of diet is best? As in where are the best times to consume these calories? Thanks!
Original post by Eloades11
Gym is going well for me at the moment, I've been going for about 8 months now and I'm seeing massive improvements. One thing which slightly worries me is at the gym I see people who are similar sizes to me, but are more toned/defined. I can't see that happening with me, I'm just getting bigger at the moment. I would also like to cut down on abdominal fat because I feel that they are letting me down at the moment. I don't have the best diet in the world, so I'm wondering if I keep this up will I be big but quite a bit of fat? Or will it naturally cut down from my workout?

You'll need to eat less, resistance training doesn't burn that much.

Original post by Gob Bluth
Hey guys, i'm looking at how many calories i need to be intaking to bulk up.

I'm starting a full time retail job tomorrow (going to be 12-8 5 days a week) and was looking at this http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/ as an indicator of gaining weight. My BMR is 1934 - what i was wondering is what sort of level of activeness would this retail job put me at. Obviously i will be on my feet for 7.5 of the 8 hours, in terms of exercise it is 10 minutes walk there and back too. How many calories should i be consuming and what sort of diet is best? As in where are the best times to consume these calories? Thanks!

It's hard to tell really, try 16-18 times your body weight in pounds to give you a calorie target. Track your weight each week and adjust as necessary.
Original post by cowsforsale
You'll need to eat less, resistance training doesn't burn that much.

It's hard to tell really, try 16-18 times your body weight in pounds to give you a calorie target. Track your weight each week and adjust as necessary.

Think i'm going for 3500, i can eat 2500-3000 calories often quite easily and not put the weight on, and see how that is! I'm 6 foot 2 atm weighing in at 174 lbs.
That feel when Areeb is the only one that comments on my log so I get zero comments when he is off in banned camp.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
That feel when Areeb is the only one that comments on my log so I get zero comments when he is off in banned camp.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah lol
I read around, but been lazy with posting in general on TSR lately.
Original post by Eloades11
Your 'massive improvements' are involving a lot of fat and water weight. You're putting on muscle too of course but at a slower rate than you think :tongue: These more toned/defined guys have more muscle than you and less fat, simply put. As far as cutting fat, keep building size until you are happy then you should cut. Cutting and building muscle are very hard to do at the same time (maybe impossible to do?) without drugs.
Original post by Appeal to reason
Wanting to switch to oly lifting, does anyone have suggestions for a routine/ books to read? Looking to train 3/4 times a week. I guess more is possible (might have to reduce taekwondo sessions if that was the case) Would like to keep some aesthetics work (e.g. arms, chest) in somewhere, either chucked in at the end of sessions, or all together as an extra workout at the weekend.

if you actually want to do well at oly lifting, you need to abandon TKD, train oly 6-7 times a week, and give up any hopes of training bench or chest or arms, just train the lifts, pulls and squats

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll come into your log mate :smile:

California strength and catalyst athletics have some good videos.
Reply 2373
Original post by HFerguson
I'll come into your log mate :smile:

phrasing... boom!
Original post by SMed
phrasing... boom!

Ferguson wasn't the only one coming in my log. It was full of lovely comments about Dem squats.

Hopefully a nice fronties pb will be videoed tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HFerguson
if you actually want to do well at oly lifting, you need to abandon TKD, train oly 6-7 times a week, and give up any hopes of training bench or chest or arms, just train the lifts, pulls and squats

I get what you're saying, but surely a few sets of curls every week isn't going to suddenly make you a terrible o-lifter? I think I could maybe manage 5x a week (at least to start off with anyway) without dropping tkd as tuesday/thursday sessions aren't that taxing - mainly technique work etc. Doing something like mon/weds/thurs/fri/sun

Original post by cowsforsale
California strength and catalyst athletics have some good videos.

I've actually been watching all the technique videos from California strength, but didn't think to look for programs on there. Thanks
I get what you're saying, but surely a few sets of curls every week isn't going to suddenly make you a terrible o-lifter?

Curls are probably fine. Pressing work is fine as well so long as you have good shoulder mobility. If you don't, your positions are going to be quite seriously compromised.
Reply 2377
Ferguson wasn't the only one coming in my log. It was full of lovely comments about Dem squats.

Hopefully a nice fronties pb will be videoed tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you get the 'phrasing... boom' reference?

[video="youtube;hyLWrKh2fB0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyLWrKh2fB0[/video]
Reply 2379
Squats look ok, just be stronger. Bad angle to check depth, but they looked borderline, but not too bad. Hard to tell. Don't let them get higher though. Get stronger.

Quick Reply

Latest